Have you run into someone carrying a CRK?

I'm just wondering how often anyone here runs into someone carrying a CRK? Ever happen? Any good stories? I gotta figure that two people finding out that the person next to them has a Sebenza on them, or an Umnumzaan, 25, Inkosi or Mnandi might end up having a conversation. Just wondering...

Hasn't happened to me. I find most don't know what a good knife is. It's hard to explain a $400 knife to them.

Most people I work with or know carry some cheapo gas station type knife. Sometimes they will have an older Case knife they have had for 2,000 years.

In the watch community we say wrist contact before eye contact always seeing what the other guy is wearing....problem is that 99.9% of people don't care.
I imagine the knife community is similar in that way, too. It's rare to meet another enthusiast in the wild.
If a conversation is struck with someone that isn't "one of us" it usually turns awkward when price if price is discussed.

"from the inside it's hard to explain and from the outside it's hard to understand"

In the watch community we say wrist contact before eye contact always seeing what the other guy is wearing....problem is that 99.9% of people don't care.
I imagine the knife community is similar in that way, too. It's rare to meet another enthusiast in the wild.
If a conversation is struck with someone that isn't "one of us" it usually turns awkward when price if price is discussed.

"from the inside it's hard to explain and from the outside it's hard to understand"

Yup. I educate some people and when they ask how much for a ti lock and the general story and specs of the knife. . Half the folks are blown away. The other half is disgusted. Its all relative. A 500$ knife is not all that crazy these days compared to mortgage, college, daycare and a car payment and the cost of living.
I've seen some awesome spyderco and Kershaw knives in the wild. That's it. The majority of knives I am shown are m tech and smith and Wesson. Followed by an sak.

I knew Case had been around a long time... but I had no idea! And... there are vampires in New York?!? (obviously, if they're carrying a Case knife they've had for 2,000 years!)

Seriously, though, I'd be glad to run into more people that are carrying knives at all, much less good knives!

Sometimes they will have an older Case knife they have had for 2,000 years.

The only higher end folders I know of are 2 guys at work were looking for a heavy duty folder and they bought the Hest 2.0 and these guys have abused them severally and they are holding up great. I did meet a electric ion who has a few Randall made knives. Never thought I would meet another Randall guy around here but I did. So far no Reeves guys around here.

Hasn't happened to me. I find most don't know what a good knife is. It's hard to explain a $400 knife to them.

Agreed. Whenever they ask me why its worth it, I always just say "For the same reason a Rolex costs more than a Timex. " Nuff said. If they cant get that, then there is really no point in further discussion.

I teach firearm classes, and I always show a knife and let student's know that I recommend a knife be carried.

One gentleman produced a left handed Sebenza.

It was nice to find a knife guy - he loved my ZT's.

best

mqqn

One thing is there could be lots of CRK owners around but we will never know since most people don't pull out their pocket knives while walking around a mall or shop. Maybe if people had on CRK hats or something so you would notice them.

Never a CRK, but i would love to. Anyone carrying a Sebenza surely is passionate about the brand?(i hope)

I ran into a guy with a Hinderer XM at a "Five Guys" hamburger joint. I instantly sounded off, "Hinderer!"and he was like, "yeah!", but actually just kept walking and really didnt seem to care. Didnt even have time to pull mine out...yeah i just said that:)

I also wear my CRK shirt a bunch...not one person has said anything:(

Never seen anyone with a CRK.

What is worse is when I try to "show off" my sebenzas to someone who claims to be knife guy, they open them like a slipjoint. arrghhh!

Never a CRK, but i would love to. Anyone carrying a Sebenza surely is passionate about the brand?(i hope)

I ran into a guy with a Hinderer XM at a "Five Guys" hamburger joint. I instantly sounded off, "Hinderer!"and he was like, "yeah!", but actually just kept walking and really didnt seem to care. Didnt even have time to pull mine out...yeah i just said that:)

Why would someone who spent so much on a knife pretend not to care it meant anything to them?

..makes no sense.

Last year I had the change to show my Sebenza to a knife guy who I knew really like them.... I was berated because it was not smooth enough and asked why I did not apply the "lube" and there was no evidence that I have taken the knife apart, so how do I know how it work "inside".

There was no comebacks possible from my side as it was Chris himself. [emoji41]

One day at work, we had a guy on rotation for a day. First thing i notice is that he was carrying a zero tolerance knife. I get excited and say, "nice zero tolerance, how do you like that elmax steel? You a knife guy?" He replies, "Nah, my brother bought it for me saying I need a good knife to carry". That's the closest I came to meeting a knife guy in the wild.

Last year I had the change to show my Sebenza to a knife guy who I knew really like them.... I was berated because it was not smooth enough and asked why I did not apply the "lube" and there was no evidence that I have taken the knife apart, so how do I know how it work "inside".

There was no comebacks possible from my side as it was Chris himself. [emoji41]

Just another reason to buy a CRK.

"Yeah, I just said that." Classic!

Back