Heirloom sword for nephew

I've got a 10 month old nephew named Arthur, and my father raised us all with Arthurian legends. So his grandfather is providing the texts in varying stages of antiquity and I'm looking to do set up the kid with a sword like any knife collector Uncle would want to. I'm thinking a basic Albion hand and a half, maybe the Baron pattern, anything else I should be looking at in that ballpark price wise or less? I've got a deepeeka Celtic sword that was ok after a lot of work but I don't think that's right for this sort of thing. My sister (his mom) actually knows quite a bit about Oakesshott classifications and more about armors from various periods having spent time at Higgins armory in school.

Appreciate the direction and suggestions guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allbion and Arms&Armor are two US producers with a lot of variety. Valiant Armoury offers some good values of swords with scabbards and less costly than the others Darksword is popular with some, as to the packacges. Museum Replicas actually fits the bill for budget swords. Del Tin of Italy are quite good for the money.

I would browse Kult Of Athena to see a lot in one place. If it is meant as an hierloom, the Arms&Armor Edward III sword is quite pretty and very functional. Here is one getting a high class scabbard.
http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=34398

One advantage to Arms&Armor is they work with folk as to possibilities. I had owned a one off from them that has the Edward III blades and their Duke of Urbino hilt. It has been a fine sword and was modified by the current owner to have a longer hilt. Again, this is just one possibility.
y54DyMu.jpg

NY6Jkmu.jpg

VxDYz1C.jpg

It really is a matter of choice. I have spent time with the Albion Baron and it is a fine sword. The same friend that now has the EIII blade mod has had a Baron almost from the time he traded into that old A&A sword.

Of two other A&A swords I have owned, both the Black Prince and German Bastard have always been a pleasure to own and use. I had ordered the Black Prince with bronze and now belongs to another that did it with a blue grip. I am trying to trade the GBS back to him for the BP.
4jlIu7A.jpg

kEm2q9h.jpg

The A&A GBS with some more great big swords ;) A Conyer's falchion and two Del Tin bastards.
cQMPDHq.jpg

CuI3KRB.jpg

The Del Tin 5157 (about $500) is longer than the Baron and other big swords at 51" while remaining about 3.3lbs On our right here with an Old pair of ATrim XIIa and XIIIa. It is longer than the A&A German Bastard.
0CvW2y7.jpg

In the end, spend some time window shopping and reading reviews. For an Arthurian period sword, I would think some centuries earlier to regard a spatha or even earlier migration era sword.

Cheers

GC

The King Arthur legend was based on Romano-Celtic warlords who tried to defend Britain in the 400s against invading Germans, not medieval.
Gladius, spatha or a steel version of
celtic-swords.jpg

King Arthur movie, despite mixed reviews, at least got the era right.
king-arthur-movie-lg-128.jpg

Thanks for the information guys!

I'm aware of the correct period in which "Arthur" would have existed in/swords used, but when dealing with a potentially fictional character I'm included to go with the fictional medieval period most fictional literature tales the boy will grow up with vs historically correct. Always love a reason to spend more time window shopping at KOA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd put in another plug to at least take a look at Valiant Armory's stuff - especially their signature line.

Never owned, but from what I've heard, great stuff, and some pretty attractive designs.

I own the Albion Crecy and can't say enough good things about the company. All their models are researched and designed by one of the greatest swordsmiths of our time.

Albion and Angus Trim makes great blades. If you want something a bit more unique a cutler like Christian Fletcher can make some stunning swords.

Back