Help finding a handle

I found what looks to be a very old hatchet made by plumb manufacturing in my basement. It's quite a small hatchet, the head weight is just over 12oz. The handle was completely shot and the head very loose. I have since removed the head but I'm having issues finding a handle small enough to fit. The eye size is 1 and 3/8 inches by 1/2 an inch. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get a handle.

House Handle might have something that will fit. I'm starting to not like them, but they have a great selection.

I looked through their catalouge and found one handle that might possably fit. I was thinking that a handle from the Hults Bruks Jonaker or equivalent might work but I can't seem to find the eye size of that hatchet anywhere. I figured with the head being so light it would make a good small crafting hatchet.

The eye being small isn't usually an issue as long as you can find a handle of a length and shape you like. You can shave the tongue of the handle down to fit.

Try Vaughn mfg. they sell replacement handles for their sportsman hatchet zs1/2. They are about 6.00, I think.

Your likelihood of finding an exact fit handle is not high. Once you realize that rasping, filing and sanding is going to be involved it becomes another step to choosing something adaptable from the hardware store or even whittling one out of a board or a piece of firewood. Use the existing handle as a template.

Back