Help Us Build A Buck Knives 110 (Free Knife Drawing)

What configuration do you want to see?

• Blade Shape: Clip Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blade Shape: Drop Point

• Blade Steel: D2

• Blade Steel: BG-42

• Blade Steel: S90V

• Blade Finish: Mirror

• Blade Finish: Satin

• Blade Finish: Stonewash

• Nail Notch

• NO Nail Notch

• Inlay Material: Carbon Fiber

• Inlay Material: Black Micarta

• Inlay Material: Navy Blue Micarta

• Bolsters: Aluminum

• Bolsters: Nickel Silver

• If Aluminum: Pocket Clip

• If Aluminum: NO Pocket Clip

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You all are the best! I've received lots of input on the nail nick already. Hadn't considered that clip point voters would choose nail nick which obviously skewed the voting. Live and learn. Strongly leaning towards no nail nick.

Interesting point in this process, skblades. And it is not solely about the knife components choice, but about the process.

The process you are offering (and managing) has the opportunity for the "backlash" you noted might occur. But there is that point, which you are approaching, where making the "executive decision" might be the excellent resolution.

What I see is that you offered to do this, which puts you in charge of the process and the end result. Your request for input was valid and appreciated, and you paid close attention to the follow up opinions. A leader or executive in such a process should have the opportunity, based on the responses, to make adjusts that (s)he sees as possible improvement in the end result. One characteristic of quality leaders is that "leaders don't inflict pain; they bear pain." I learned this characteristic long ago in a leadership training seminar on one of my jobs. Your concern with the backlash indicates your concern about those who are offering opinions and input. That can put a responsible leader in a painful position.

OK. I voted for a nail nick. I'm good and quite satisfied if this is not a part of the finished product. In this case, I trust the executive-in-charge of a Buck knife creation. Go for it.

BTW, I just recalled a cool portion of your very first post on this project:
Your input is very important to us. So important, that we are doing a DRAWING TO GIVE AWAY THE FIRST KNIFE FROM THIS PROJECT. It is a big thank you to you all for your input and good advertising for us!

If I were the person to receive this first knife, I would gladly become the owner with or without a nail nick!

Thoughts above are just my less than two cents worth......not overly important to the final Buck knife creation. But to once more express "thanks" for what you are doing for everyone.

I agree as well. I'd make an executive decision to scrap the nail nick, but I think the backlash would be too great since it wouldn't have "followed the poll exactly". I need to think on it some. More input is welcome!

You all are the best! I've received lots of input on the nail nick already. Hadn't considered that clip point voters would choose nail nick which obviously skewed the voting. Live and learn. Strongly leaning towards no nail nick.

You deserve a medal for your efforts to try to please everyone, a impossible task for sure . The drop point doesn't need a nail nick.

Ohh thaat is what was meant by disk, I was picturing a disk shaped thumb stud/ramp flush against the blade. I really like the way this things is coming along all opening assistance aside :thumbup:

im all for no nail nick. dont really use them even on a clip point.

I see another poll coming...

Close these two and start a 3rd with the winning combo both with and without nick as the two choices.

Save the info for the next one.
Clip with nick
Drop without

I've always been anti- nick on a drop point. Truth be told though; its an aesthetic issue and "form follows function".

If someone says they won't buy it with a nick, they probably wouldn't have bought it either way.

If the knife is a user, it adds a little traction just in case. If it's a collector, I think it matters even less.

Good luck! You'll never please everyone... unless they're all free of course. Then someone will still complain about something.

If I buy one, it's for the steel. Frame and scale don't matter much. It wouldn't be the first $$200 knife I butchered...lol

i really really wish we could just put it to a revote, for the guys that are actually going to buy the drop point in blue or cf with no nail nick, and see you if the majority want the thumbdisk. we have the opportunity to really do something special and different.

Don't bother, as long as these polls are limited to the Buck forum, you will be stuck with a certain type of knife. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

I'm kind of 'Polled out'. I thought they were accurate. I would like to see the product and move toward a purchase. I'll buy one for the blade shape & grind first, then the steel. The frame eh-- not so important. The blue handle material adds bling. DM

funny thing about this is that before this poll started i ordered a custom 110 with drop point and blue wood, which will finally arrive tomorrow. atleast this knife will have the s90v drop point and grooves to differentiate them. it'd just be real nice to have the thumb disk. i wonder if that is something i could have done separately.

Where did you order this in S90V and do you mean finger grooves? Thanks, Preston

I think he said he ordered a knife similar to the one proposed. The difference will be that the SK knife will have the better steel and finger grooves.

He ordered, 'a custom 110'.. Then, "at least this knife will have S90V steel". He's meaning this knife we're talking about. Not the one he ordered. DM

Everyone has different taste but I just love the proportions of the 110. Whatever else, this is going to be a pretty knife. Hope you sell lots!

Thanks for considering dropping the nail nick. I think it would be the right decision to leave it off of this model, just as it was the right decision not to do stonewash with this model, even though that option technically won the polls. For me, the decision to leave a nail nick off of the drop point blade has the same sort of natural feel that moving away from the stonewash option did.

For the record, I will buy either of those last two renditions you posted with or without the nail nick. Although I'd consider buying more than one if the blade is left clean :)

Cheers sir, your effort is appreciated.

Back