1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Help with anvil purchase

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Wloch248, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Wloch248

Wloch248

Jan 2, 2010
    Ok, I have read about all I could find on anvils/brands/prices that I can get my hands on.

So far here is what I have come up with:
    1: if you look around long enough you will find an anvil locally at a good price
    2: used anvils tend to sell from $2/lb up to $5/lb while new ones sell for more
    3: some people are asking crazy prices for anvils that are in questionable condition
    4: most people tend to think that #100 is a minimum size for a decent anvil
    5: The HF #55 anvil is more an ASO (anvil shaped object) than a real anvil
    5: I have read that like with anything spend the money up front to only have to buy once and you wont regret it

With that in mind I have been thinking about getting an anvil. My wife has agreed to let me take a few blacksmithing classes at a local school and ever since then I have been looking for anvils. I know rail road track pieces have been sufficient for many a knife maker but I plan on doing just a little more that a RR track anvil will do. Also I don't really know of a local source for RR track. The only place I have seen anvils for sale locally is ebay. There is a beat up #130 fisher & norris for $400 obo, a somewhat rough looking Hay budden #160 for $275, and a #50 Vulcan in what appears to be unused condition (it is also located the closest) for $125. I also read that the vulcans were more geared towards schools and that they were a decent anvil but on the lower end of acceptable anvils. Maybe the other 2 anvils just appear to be in rough shape to a newbie: (1st is vulcan, 2nd hay budden, 3rd fisher & norris)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VULCAN-ANVIL-50-POUNDS-7-1-2-TALL-x-14-1-2-LONG_W0QQitemZ330405608873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cedb57da9

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hay-Budden-Anvil_W0QQitemZ150415781894QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23057ab006

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Fisher-Norris-130-lbs-Anvil_W0QQitemZ140374663604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20aefb61b4

Do I wait? are any of the 2 larger anvils good deals ?(I didn't think so but what do I know). I want to say bid on the vulcan but will I regret not going for a heavier one? Anyone who might be able to guide me please feel free to speak up. The vulcan anvil auction ends in 17hrs and I don't want to rush anything.

Thanks
    Nathan

2. hammerman

hammerman

Aug 22, 2008
    The Hay Budden is the best anvil. It is also a good size, I'd get that one and have the top welded up and machined back down by someone who knows what they are doing. I have done this to several myself, and they are excellent. Hope this helps Mike :D

3. sharpeknives

sharpeknives

Jan 13, 2006
    Here's the link to the anvil I have (The Calvery). The concern I had with a used anvil was: Cracks, Face flatness, hidden repairs. With a new anvil its unbox and go to work. I have had no concerns with this baby.
    http://www.nctoolco.com/pages/anvils3.htm

4. Deweyknives

Deweyknives

Nov 29, 2006
    Find Matchless Antiques on Ebay. He's located in Mi. and a very respectable gent to do business with. His stuff usually is'nt cheap but a little time and persistance will turn up some reasonable deals. I swear it rains anvils at his place sometimes.

If you watch the Hay-Buddens, the later ones are one piece from the waist up so they can be cleaned up by machining the face without the fear of making a face plate too thin. Of course, there are plenty of quality anvils so look at anything that is nice and clean, but a well used HB is still worth a closer look.

Hope this helps and enjoy the journey! :)

5. G. Shahan

G. Shahan

Jul 19, 2008
    I just bought an anvil from matchless, great guy to do business with.
    Check him out.

Greg

6. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
  7. Wloch248

Wloch248

Jan 2, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I actually like the look of the calvary anvil. I have decided to wait and look locally until at least spring.

I had been looking at matchless antiques stuff. Little far to drive and from what I had seen his stuff on ebay was a little out of my current price range.