Hen and Rooster?

I dont see Hen and Rooster talked about in here very often. Like or not? Post pictures of your favorite. My new favorite is a Cattle Rustler stockman with red pickbone handles. When I find a cameria I will post a picture.

I collect the H&R ram horn fixed blade knives. They have excellent steel (440C) and come with very good leather sheaths for VERY reasonable money.

Gut-hook Skinner
HRskinner.jpg

Camp Knife/Fighter and Drop Point Hunter
2horns.jpg

These three patterns each sell for under $75 shipped--excellent value!

At one time, Bertram - made Hen and Rooster knives were almost certainly the best production knives made anywhere. That quality was continued up until the time that the factory closed in the 1980s. The brand is now owned by Frost Cutlery and is only a shadow of its former self. H&R knives are now made by Boker and Olbertz.

This is an example of the earlier H&R, a small congress with all blades marked Gutmann
_IGP2478.jpg

I carry one every day. A little stockman with stag scales marked "Bertram Cutlery 273DS" on one side and "Solingen Germany" on the other. Great fit & finish. Nice walk & talk. It might well be my nicest pocket knife.

Frank

Yeah, what Arathol said... Here's mine - horrible pic, but a beautiful stag, Bertram congress, at 3 1/2". You'll laugh but my only problem w/it is the stag is so thick, the knife is practically equal on all four sides, so it wants to "roll" in the hand. But I can live w/it ;)

Mike

Attachments

• H&R Congress 3.375 in..jpg
    H&R Congress 3.375 in..jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 37
arathol knows his h& r . older ones command good prices on the collector market. h& r produced almost universally upper end cutlery. stag was probably the most prevalent handle but they also turned out lots of pearl.i have had knives by them that actually opened like they were on ball bearings, rivaling the best customs today.thieves got most of my collection in 1982 & i never tried to accumulate them again. in 70s they could be purchased at prices not exceeding other quality pieces.
dennis

My only Hen and Rooster was purchased in the 1990s. Don't have a picture available, but as I recall it was advertised as a "Gent's Knife" or similar. The design is similar to a slim barlow with stag handles and nickel-silver bolsters. Quality is very good.

I love the idea of a Hen and Rooster. I have tried to put the ida into practice and disappointed several times. Beautifully assembled and looking great - the springs on all four I've had have been too lacking in assertiveness for my taste

Back