Honda Element Owners?

We've been looking at Honda Elements, and will be looking at an 05 EX w/manual transmission tomorrow. I can get it at $3000 below Kelly Blue Book—I guess because of the manual transmission.

Likes? Dislikes? Buying tips?

We've had an Element since we bought it new in 2003, and have 154,000 on the it. It's been almost trouble free, and has mostly been the better halfs car. My wife, Karen, drives like she's in a roman chariot race, but the Honda hasn't died yet, and our mechanic says it sounds great. We're used it for camping, hauling our bikes, travel, and shopping. At about 135,000 the right lower control arm had to be replaced. The only other things we've been through is tires and brakes.

This is a car my maniac wife has not been able to kill. If you have a chance at a nice clean one, buy it, since they don't make them anymore.

I knew a couple people that had them. They loved them. Any time you can get a used Honda in good shape for significantly below book, I don't think you can go wrong.

I've had one for about 7 years now.

A couple points:

-the "suicide doors" are more like "deathtrap doors"- the rear doors canont be opened independently of the front doors, and the rear doors are connected to the front seatbelt.

-there are some massive blindspots in the front, which can easily hide a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

-the rear windows do not roll down, and the rear sunroof is pretty much useless despite its size.

On the pro's:

-holds a ton of stuff

- all seats fold down, making it great for extended in car banging.

Driving them since 2005, I really like mine but this is good criticle info.
I've had one for about 7 years now.

A couple points:

-the "suicide doors" are more like "deathtrap doors"- the rear doors canont be opened independently of the front doors, and the rear doors are connected to the front seatbelt.

-there are some massive blindspots in the front, which can easily hide a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

-the rear windows do not roll down, and the rear sunroof is pretty much useless despite its size.

On the pro's:

-holds a ton of stuff

- all seats fold down, making it great for extended in car banging.

I am 6'1" and the seat belts bug the crap out of me in my sisters 08 element.... They are in the seats, for obvious reasons, and they just sit funny to me. Plus, the theater seating in the rear is a little annoying for passengers(AKA me). Other than that... It's a honda. Motor is bullet proof with regular oil changes. Transmission is fine. Parts are cheap.. If you do your own brakes you will save a MINT on labour.

I've had one for a year know and I've decide I'll be getting rid of it when my lease is up.

What I dislike most about it is that it has no weight and is underpowered. It's not a safe vehicle especially if you live where it snows. Also the tires are tiny and you will find yourself constantly slipping out in the rain. The interior is great and it's a really spacious vehicle for the size but the shape kills your MPG while driving at high speeds.

And as other people have mentioned the suicide doors suck and IMO are a major safety issue as is the small widows in the back. If you had to get out of the vehicle in an emergency you'd be in all kinds of trouble.

Needless to say If I can afford it I'm going to get a pilot or a used Mercedes ML when my lease is up. I like a big, powerful, and safe car and the Element is none of those things.

I've had mine for 2 years and I love it. It has the smallest external size for the largest internal space of any car I've seen. It has a lot of versatility with the seats folding down, folding up, and coming out. When we take mine camping we take the rear seats out and leave them at home, so it's like a cargo van inside, big enough for an air mattress. Also big enough to haul furniture. The rubber floors are very easy to keep clean, no matter how muddy they get. I find the suicide doors make the back very easy to load up with gear. Here are a couple of pics of mine in Yellowstone:
Yellowstone2235.jpg

Yellowstone360.jpg

For a lot more information, go to the forum at: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/
Just got back from another camping trip a couple of weeks ago and it performed as perfectly as my BM 710hs. Did everything I need with no trouble. It's not a sports car or 4WD ORV, but for what it is it handles very well. I don't think I'd replace it even if I won the lottery.

I work for honda and you really can't go wrong with the element, Our research shows that the average honda engine with proper upkeep will last 400,000 miles, the element was discontinued due to low sales, but I'm not at liberty to give specific details , but there could be a possibility that one Honda vehicle will be discontinued , and other one will return...The element is a great vehicle, might be ugly but overall a great vehicle. I know several people who owned one and loved them..

I work for honda and you really can't go wrong with the element, Our research shows that the average honda engine with proper upkeep will last 400,000 miles, the element was discontinued due to low sales, but I'm not at liberty to give specific details , but there could be a possibility that one Honda vehicle will be discontinued , and other one will return...The element is a great vehicle, might be ugly but overall a great vehicle. I know several people who owned one and loved them..

I can attest to that. Over 400K on conventional motor, original owner. I'm a nut about engine break in. It's kind of a passion of mine. :D

My wife has an Element and I can attest to the blind spot, I almost hit three pedestrians. I stopped driving her car. Other than that she loves it, great room with the seats folded up.

AFAIK It is only a concept , and nothing is set in stone, just because you see something at a show doesn't mean it's coming to production it's a real PITA to bring a vehicle into production, but like I said I was told that there would be no talks of another model until one in our current line was discontinued, which we have been trying to discontinue for I believe 2 years now but the dang think keeps winning awards so we cant phase it out just yet.

Last edited:
So what do I have to do to keep my Element running for 400K miles?

The B-52 has been in active service with the USAF since 1955. Produced 1952–62

The B-52 marked its 50th anniversary of continuous service with its original operator in 2005 and after being upgraded between 2013 and 2015 it will serve into the 2040s.

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance. and seating those engine/drive train metal parts from the beginning goes a long ways on how long a vehicle will live before something major breaks or wears out.

How people drive makes a big difference too. Beating a work horse to death, day in and day out you end up with a dead horse. Treat it right and you're end up with a gray mare.

Oil change within first 1K then 3K oil changes and 4k for interstate. Remembering to change all fluids at the right times and sooner and treating her right can go a long ways in getting trouble free miles.

Last edited:
We've have a 2005 LX with auto transmission. It is by far the best car I've ever owned. I can fit stacks of 8-foot 2x4 inside the car with the tailgate shut. With removable back seats you basically have a box van. People are amazed at the furniture we've brought home in this thing. I plan to make my children drive this car.

The only issue is that it isn't baby friendly at all. Suicide doors and child carriers don't mix.

now if you can make your original engine last 1,000,000 miles honda will give you a brand new vehicle when you hit that mark, and yes it has been down 2 people in my state have done it with there accords currently my 2004 accord has 190k miles on it and runs like the day i bought it brand new, you haft to keep your fluids checked, oil changed, keep an eye on the timing belts on hondas around 200,00 you wanna change those, and overall don't drive it like you stole it, I think i repeated someone else's post. I'll give you a little inside info that the oil companies don't want you to know though, changing your oil every 3,00 miles is a waste of money, on newer cars it's more around every 5,000 miles some companies say 6k but we go with every 5k. Im not in the R&D department I just build the dang things and if people knew the tolerances that honda vehicles had, I promise you there would be a lot more people buying hondas our tolerances are amazing, I can't tell you exactly what they are as I use my real name as my username and my state is located in the corner of my posts, but I can tell you that we have some of the tighest tolerances in the industry and our QC is some of the best in the business. IF one weld on a frame is found to weak or too strong depending on where it is the whole body will be scrapped our cars are designed so if you have a front end collision the welds holding the engine break causing the motor to drop down instead of coming in on you.

Last edited:
I completely agree on the posts of Honda's quality. Our first Honda Accord (1987, bought new) was totalled in an accident. Our second (1996, new) was stolen. Our third Honda is a Pilot (2005, new), we just clicked over 100,000 miles, uses no oil, runs like brand new. No problems, never have been stranded on all three. Love them Hondas.

Been driving one for 3yrs. 03element. At130.000 starter motor and drivers door lock replaced. At 146000 alt and ignition lock replaced . The ignition lock was the most $$ 900.00

Back