How do I keep rabbits out of my yard?

myright

Gold Member
My braniac dog decided it's a good idea to eat up the rabbit turds in the yard:barf:

Needless to say, she's been throws up twice a day. If you own a dog you know that they will not throw up on the tile floor, they have to walk over to the carpet to throw up :rolleyes:

Anyhow - My yard isn't that big - it's a 1/3 of an acre house and all. The yard is fenced in with a split rail fence with the wire stuff on it.

I'm going to get the best of these little buggers - Let the suggestions fly fellas.

Oh - Shooting them with a 12 ga is not an option :D I'm in a development.

Surround your yard with chicken wire/mesh that is small enough that the rabbits can't squeeze through.

I thought about doing that on the lower part of the fence, but I have a pretty large double gate you can drive through. It would be a bit tough to cover that entrance.

I guess if I did everywhere else I could always think of an alternative for the other entrances.

Shooting them very discreetly with a high powered air rifle ? I have a scoped Beeman R9 that takes care of many rabbits each year.

A high powered pellet pistol, preferably in .22 will do the job. That and traps would work. There may be some type of repellant that you can spread on your yard that may work also, but make sure its pet and enviro friendly.

Let your dog stay outside. The rabbits know better than to come around if there's a dog. If they don't, your dog will take care of them. You could get one of those fake owl "scarecrows"- rabbits are deathly afraid of owls- with good reason. I think there is some kind of predator spray that you can put around on your fenceposts that will give rabbits second thoughts about coming around.

Or you could get a couple live traps, catch and eat the little suckers. Rabbits= good eatin'. Note- live traps are just to keep your dog safe- he or she won't be able to fit inside. Just give the trap some vigorous shaking if there's a rabbit inside- to stun it. Dump it on the ground and stomp its widdle head. Gut, skin, debone- and enjoy!

Sounds like a good excuse to work on your snare/trapping skills.;)

Let your dog stay outside. The rabbits know better than to come around if there's a dog. If they don't, your dog will take care of them. You could get one of those fake owl "scarecrows"- rabbits are deathly afraid of owls- with good reason. I think there is some kind of predator spray that you can put around on your fenceposts that will give rabbits second thoughts about coming around.

Or you could get a couple live traps, catch and eat the little suckers. Rabbits= good eatin'. Note- live traps are just to keep your dog safe- he or she won't be able to fit inside. Just give the trap some vigorous shaking if there's a rabbit inside- to stun it. Dump it on the ground and stomp its widdle head. Gut, skin, debone- and enjoy!

Funny - I was thinking about an owl house, but I heard those things get pissed when you walk near their house. That's the last thing I need - An owl kicking my dog's a$$ all because I was trying to get rid of rabbits. :D

It would all be easy if my dog didn't eat the little turds... Maybe she things they're chocolate chips :barf:

Keeping the dog outside as much as possible is the best option. They won't dare come in then. However,Rabbits are extremely resourceful animals,and since they live underground they are masters at tunneling.This means that wire fences need to be sunk underground to a depth of 50cm 1.5 feet to really keep them out. They cause a lot of damage to plants in the garden which is worse than your dog eating their droppings. Try to stop the dog eating the turds by training? Since you can't shoot them because of your environment you COULD buy a pet ferret,train that and you will be rabbit free without using potentially dangerous traps or whatnot.

Funny - I was thinking about an owl house, but I heard those things get pissed when you walk near their house. That's the last thing I need - An owl kicking my dog's a$$ all because I was trying to get rid of rabbits. :D

Owls are no joke. There are several that come and go around my place. Every once in a while I'll see one sitting on my neighbors roof, looking for something cute to murder. They can get huge. You can always tell when an owl is around, because all of the other critters make themselves scarce- squirrels, chipmunks, even the raccoons. If raccoons are scared of owls, yeah you probably don't want one around your dog. Fake owls won't mess with your dog though- and rabbits are too stupid to know the difference.

My dog is 80lbs + so it would have to be a BIG owl, but I'm sure it would take a shot if it thought it was threatened.

I'll go grab a fake owl - they're not that expensive at all. Heck - I was looking for an excuse to head over to tractor supply today :)

Sounds like a good excuse to work on your snare/trapping skills.;)

Exactly what I was thinking. A slingshot is good too. Now all I can think about is Rabbit Steww, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, one of my favorites.

You could also try using a predator scent. I wouldn't use coyote scent so you don't draw them in, but perhaps fox. Put it in various places around the yard.

I have a lab if there's one rabbit poop he will find it and snack it down,gross.So I got a used tom cat had it neutered fed it tuna until he was recovered and let it stay out back the dog did not mind to much and that cat kills EVERYTHING!Now my dog eats cat poop dam.O ya. My girls love that cat.

I don't know if an owl would touch this rabbit. This is shotgun material!
rabbitstew.jpg

Back