1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How do I keep rabbits out of my yard?

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by myright, Mar 21, 2009.

1. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    My braniac dog decided it's a good idea to eat up the rabbit turds in the yard:barf:

Needless to say, she's been throws up twice a day. If you own a dog you know that they will not throw up on the tile floor, they have to walk over to the carpet to throw up :rolleyes:

Anyhow - My yard isn't that big - it's a 1/3 of an acre house and all. The yard is fenced in with a split rail fence with the wire stuff on it.

I'm going to get the best of these little buggers - Let the suggestions fly fellas.

Oh - Shooting them with a 12 ga is not an option :D I'm in a development.

2. abiggs

abiggs Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Surround your yard with chicken wire/mesh that is small enough that the rabbits can't squeeze through.

3. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    I thought about doing that on the lower part of the fence, but I have a pretty large double gate you can drive through. It would be a bit tough to cover that entrance.

I guess if I did everywhere else I could always think of an alternative for the other entrances.

4. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl

May 22, 2002
    Shooting them very discreetly with a high powered air rifle ? I have a scoped Beeman R9 that takes care of many rabbits each year.

5. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    Not a bad idea - Or trap them I guess.

6. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    A high powered pellet pistol, preferably in .22 will do the job. That and traps would work. There may be some type of repellant that you can spread on your yard that may work also, but make sure its pet and enviro friendly.

7. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    Let your dog stay outside. The rabbits know better than to come around if there's a dog. If they don't, your dog will take care of them. You could get one of those fake owl "scarecrows"- rabbits are deathly afraid of owls- with good reason. I think there is some kind of predator spray that you can put around on your fenceposts that will give rabbits second thoughts about coming around.

Or you could get a couple live traps, catch and eat the little suckers. Rabbits= good eatin'. Note- live traps are just to keep your dog safe- he or she won't be able to fit inside. Just give the trap some vigorous shaking if there's a rabbit inside- to stun it. Dump it on the ground and stomp its widdle head. Gut, skin, debone- and enjoy!

8. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like a good excuse to work on your snare/trapping skills.;)

9. halo2

halo2

Sep 13, 2005
    How about a fence with a hole in it to put the traps? :)

10. BarberFobic1992

BarberFobic1992 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2008
    you could get a few of those sticky-pad traps.

11. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    Funny - I was thinking about an owl house, but I heard those things get pissed when you walk near their house. That's the last thing I need - An owl kicking my dog's a$$ all because I was trying to get rid of rabbits. :D

It would all be easy if my dog didn't eat the little turds... Maybe she things they're chocolate chips :barf:

12. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah - I just need to find a place where my neighbors won't cry "rabbit killer" - that shouldn't be hard.

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Keeping the dog outside as much as possible is the best option. They won't dare come in then. However,Rabbits are extremely resourceful animals,and since they live underground they are masters at tunneling.This means that wire fences need to be sunk underground to a depth of 50cm 1.5 feet to really keep them out. They cause a lot of damage to plants in the garden which is worse than your dog eating their droppings. Try to stop the dog eating the turds by training? Since you can't shoot them because of your environment you COULD buy a pet ferret,train that and you will be rabbit free without using potentially dangerous traps or whatnot.

14. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    Owls are no joke. There are several that come and go around my place. Every once in a while I'll see one sitting on my neighbors roof, looking for something cute to murder. They can get huge. You can always tell when an owl is around, because all of the other critters make themselves scarce- squirrels, chipmunks, even the raccoons. If raccoons are scared of owls, yeah you probably don't want one around your dog. Fake owls won't mess with your dog though- and rabbits are too stupid to know the difference.

15. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    My dog is 80lbs + so it would have to be a BIG owl, but I'm sure it would take a shot if it thought it was threatened.

I'll go grab a fake owl - they're not that expensive at all. Heck - I was looking for an excuse to head over to tractor supply today :)

16. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    aaaaah tractor Supply! good times!

17. mymindisamob

mymindisamob Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Exactly what I was thinking. A slingshot is good too. Now all I can think about is Rabbit Steww, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, one of my favorites.

18. shadowwalker590

shadowwalker590

Nov 19, 2008
    You could also try using a predator scent. I wouldn't use coyote scent so you don't draw them in, but perhaps fox. Put it in various places around the yard.

19. flipit

flipit

Sep 21, 2006
    I have a lab if there's one rabbit poop he will find it and snack it down,gross.So I got a used tom cat had it neutered fed it tuna until he was recovered and let it stay out back the dog did not mind to much and that cat kills EVERYTHING!Now my dog eats cat poop dam.O ya. My girls love that cat.

20. LMT66

LMT66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2008
    I don't know if an owl would touch this rabbit. This is shotgun material!
    [​IMG]