How To and Tips Articles?

leatherman

leathermoderator
A recent question in a thread here got me to thinking, would anyone be interested in a series of small "how to" and tips articles?

I figured its best to host them here as my particular sheath making style seems to really rub a couple of makers here the wrong way and I'm simply weary of dealing with it. :confused:

Also, I find really good articles online from time to time that I can link and put in a thread of its own.

I'd be very interested , tutorials and reading about how different people do things are what got me started in this great hobby .
I cant speak for anyone else , but I'm not to old to learn new tricks .
I say " go for it " and I promise I wont interrupt :thumbup:

Ken

Very good! I will get to them as I get the time to sit with the computer. :)

No worries at all interrupting, if you have questions please do ask! The issue came from mean spirited criticism, and when cautioning about a volatile chemical causing nerve damage the word "stupid" was used in response.

I've picked your brain enough in the past, I'd love more tips and how-to's. It's crazy how you can work on this stuff for a couple years and find something as basic and useful as something like thinning Barge.

Thanks for the reminder man! :D I need to sit and write down some thoughts.

One thing dawned on me the other day, we that have been doing this for so long that certain "habits" we take for granted might not be so simple to someone else.

I did my first successful lined sheath recently. If you go to the leather store to buy some deerskin and they're out so they sell you some thin skeepskin to use instead and tell you it's just as good don't buy it! :D

The sheepskin bubbled up and ruined a pretty good looking sheath when I folded it up. I ordered some deerskin and did another sheath and it worked like a gem. I don't think I'll be doing linings on a regular basis till/unless I buy a sewing machine but it was a cool project.

Interesting! I never would have figured that sheepskin would do that! Good to know.
I dont line my sheaths that way, but to those who do this is a good warning.

I simply use a piece of veggie tan leather cut full width and goes past the snap back about a half to an inch. Feather the bottom so its an easy transition. I use 3/4 ounce for this. I'll do a picture line to show what I mean, about to cut a large sheath with a guard snap.

Back