1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How to close Winchester folding knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ktot, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ktot

ktot

Jan 18, 2010
    I purchased several Winchester folding knives a while back and just opened them. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to close them. They are definitely folding knives--both regular kind and some with etched pictures (wildlife) on the handles--but I cannot figure out at all how to close them. One I still have the packaging for says Winchester 2 knife wildlife etched set.

How do I get these closed???

2. RxEnergy

RxEnergy

Apr 2, 2008
    Pictures?

3. 7rip13a

7rip13a

Jul 2, 2009
    Yup, we need pics. Or if you could maybe describe the knife locking system...

4. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm pretty sure these are lock backs. Look near the end of the handle on the top of the knife. Press down on the bar...keep your fingers out of the way...and put a little downward pressure on the blade while still pressing down on the bar. You may have to press a little hard on the bar depending on the knife.

5. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    They're liner locks, look inside the knife towards the rear of the blade. There should be a thin piece of metal blocking the blade from closing. Push and hold that towards the frame and start the blade closed.

6. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    I think you're right. They have a 3 knife set that are lock backs but the 2 knife set are liner locks.

7. godot

godot

Oct 12, 2003
    This is something I've found always works with inexpensive locking folders.
    Grip the handle tightly and then stab into something like a potato or an apple. You must grip the handle firmly and stab with aggression. As soon as the tip hits the apple, the knife will close, cutting your fingers.
    This method works best if you are wearing a new expensive white shirt.:D

8. Ozy

Ozy

Sep 28, 2008
    I'd be surprised if you dont get dinged for this. :rolleyes:

9. A_Blade_Afficionado

A_Blade_Afficionado

Jan 20, 2009
    Grab with your right hand, push your thumb against the little metal tab underneath the blade, while pushing the tab against the handle take your other hand and push the blade towards the closed position, after you've started to close it release your right thumb and then finish closing it with your left hand.

10. PG5768

PG5768 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Welcome to BF ktot. Pictures of your knives would help answer your question better. morrowj, GWashigton1732, and A_Blade_Aficionado are giving as good an answer as they can based on the limited info you've given.

gotdot is trying to be funny. Cutting your fingers when closing your knife is not usually the best thing to do, especially if you ruin a nice new white shirt. ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  11. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    godot i'm loving it.

12. godot

godot

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey-I have a Brooks Brothers non iron white shirt that I wore once to prove this method works.:D
    And it fit perfectly