How to darken handle

rlewpolar

Gold Member
Recently picked up a GB Wildlife hatchet. Absolutely love it. The only nitpick is that the handle is too light colored. I’ve given it the boiled linseed treatment, hoping it would darken it but this is as dark as it gets. I’d love to get it to the same color as the Hasquavarna on the left. Going for that amber honey color. Any idea how to achieve this? Thanks

1707170861817.jpeg

You’re not going to turn that sapwood into heartwood, but leave it in a sunny place. Some woods change color noticeably in sunlight. That’ll also dry it out to absorb more BLO.

Parker

You’re not going to turn that sapwood into heartwood, but leave it in a sunny place. Some woods change color noticeably in sunlight. That’ll also dry it out to absorb more BLO.

Parker
Thanks, I’ll leave it out in the sun, good tip. Btw, that GB handle came bone dry. I was surprised, thought they were supposed to come treated somewhat with oil. Going to keep applying coats and see what happens. Someone on this forum gave me a great tip. Hand rub the linseed oil into the handle until your hand gets hot. Works great, you don’t end up with a sticky, tacky mess after treatment

Pine tar does a nice job of darkening a handle. I've also gotten a nice color from repeated applications of raw linseed oil.
Is there a difference do you think in applying raw linseed oil as opposed to boiled linseed oil?

I used Fiebling's USMC Black, mostly because that's what I had at the time.....! It actually darkened the blade a bit as well. I experimented on a Condor Bushlore, btw. No pics.

I’d add (for what it’s worth) to strip any factory coating off of the handle before adding any of these oils or pine tar. A light sanding should do the trick.

There is this stuff called wood stain. Comes in many different colors. Oil based, solvent based, probably even water based. I like the solvent based. Wipe it on with a rag, let it sit for a couple minutes, and wipe off the excess. You can buy it in the paint section of most hardware type stores. Figuring out which color will give you the match your looking for might be the hardest part. A maple or golden oak might get you close, judging by your picture.

O.B.

Here's my trash stick. What I use to spike the trash that blows into the yard. And I like using nice stuff for the lowest of tasks.

It began as a bright yellow. Light sanding and repeated coats of boiled linseed. It smells like an oil painting.

Here's my trash stick. What I use to spike the trash that blows into the yard. And I like using nice stuff for the lowest of tasks.

It began as a bright yellow. Light sanding and repeated coats of boiled linseed. It smells like an oil painting.

Very nice, that’s the color I’m going for. Maybe I just need to keep going with the boiled linseed oil

Very nice, that’s the color I’m going for. Maybe I just need to keep going with the boiled linseed oil

The secret. Before you apply the first coat of linseed. Wipe the wood down with mineral spirits. Before it dries, apply the linseed.

The solvent will thin it out and it'll absorb better. Let it sit for 15minutes and then wipe it off.

Apply it everyday for a week. Then once a month for a year. Then once a year.

Is there a difference do you think in applying raw linseed oil as opposed to boiled linseed oil?
My thinking is that the raw takes longer, but repeated applications until it won't absorb any more result in a really nice color and feel. I haven't used BLO, just read it dries faster.

Back