1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How to get this stuff off my blade?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Glock19C_Gunner, May 20, 2009.

1. Glock19C_Gunner

Glock19C_Gunner

Jan 24, 2009
    Hey guys,

I bought a ZT 610ST automatic from my local knife shop the other day; only bad thing is, it was put in the case as a display model about a day before I bought it, and had a price sticker on the blade. It was nothing more than a piece of scotch tape with paper underneath it, but it left a noticeable spot on the blade. Its not sticky or anything; just a perfect rectangular shape where it was. I tried using a TuffCloth to put some oil on it, and tried buffing it out.....it didn't work. Its not really a big deal, but I can be OCD at times, and its driving me crazy. Any tips?

Heres a pic; its hard to see because of the flash, but its very apparent when looking at it. You can kinda make it out. It starts at the fourth serration from the handle of the knife. What can I do or do you guys suggest?

[​IMG]

2. Roger999

Roger999

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't see it but you could try some acetone to remove it, but don't let it get on the handle, I don't know how G-10 or whatever the handlescales are will be affected by acetone.

3. JatMat

JatMat

Aug 26, 2006
    GooBgone will remove it without harming the G-10 or coatings.

4. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    never heard of GooBGone, but Goo Gone works well, and smells like oranges.

5. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Lighter fluid does a great job of removing sticker gunk. :)

6. firebert

firebert

Mar 24, 2008
    I haven't noticed any problem using acetone on G10, by the way. I use it often to remove superglue residue on scales.

7. Trigcure

Trigcure

Mar 7, 2009
    I would try GooGone and WD40 + fingernails, and yes, googone smells nice.

8. Glock19C_Gunner

Glock19C_Gunner

Jan 24, 2009
    There's no residue left, its just like a stain of some sort....don't certain kinds of tape have an acidic adhesive in them? Maybe thats why its got that "stained" or faded look where the sticker was....

9. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    It could be fading from light exposure, kinda like taking a bumper sticker off a old car. Is the spot lighter or darker?

10. Glock19C_Gunner

Glock19C_Gunner

Jan 24, 2009
    Its lighter.....its a perfect rectangle in the shape of where the price tag was....its like the adhesive on the price sticker was mildly acidic to the coating or something....nothing really noticeable, just bothersome to my OCD.....:grumpy:

11. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Cut a bunch of cardboard and see if that evens things out.

12. 65535

Mar 14, 2007
    Goof-Off some of my favorite stuff. That should do the trick just fine.

13. Seals

Seals

Oct 12, 2007
    Lectra Shave works the best(no kidding try it)

14. flashlife

flashlife

Feb 16, 2007
    If none of the solvents mentioned so far are working, it's probably that the sticker has been on the blade long enough to shield that area from oxidation.
    Even if the blade is stainless (154CM ?), the chrome in it will form a thin oxide everywhere, except under the sticker...thus you get a sticker-shadow in the metal/oxide-film itself. Not much of a way to remove that, except buff the whole blade and even that may not fully work.

You might try a vinegar patina. Since chrome oxide is very 'tight' to the metal, it may protect those areas not under the sticker, but the sticker-protected areas may take the patina. Caution, however!, this MAY just change the color, lightness/darkness of the shadow and not really even it out with the rest of the blade. f you try this, go slow, checking every 10 minutes or so to see what effect its having.

15. Glock&Surefire

Glock&Surefire

May 22, 2009
    Have you considered EDCing the knife? It looks very nice, but put a few nice scratches on it and it may calm you down a bit.