How to learn to use an axe and hatchet the right way

rlewpolar

Gold Member
I’ve recently developed a fascination with axes and tomahawks and have started growing a collection. No problem there. My issue is how to learn to be proficient with axes and hatchets. When I got into firearms years ago, I learned the right way by getting good training and had no bad habits to undo. By any measure, I’m a very decent shooter today.

Now, just going out and swinging an axe really gives me pause. I’ve been doing a ton of reading, watching videos and have learned quite a bit but still, the cost of a newbie mistake seems frighteningly high. Glancing in particular makes my skin crawl. Bad technique, not understanding the swing arc of the axe if you miss, short handled axes and hatchets, they all seem like very real dangers. For those that are very proficient with axes and hatchets, how did you learn and more importantly, have you managed to stay accident free? I really don’t want to learn by my mistakes. The cost seems too high. For now, I just want to be able to camp, do some limbing, chopping and splitting for kindling, making fires, basic stuff.

You can start with comparing it to shooting - know your target and whats behind it: where will the axe/hatchet go if you miss or go through the object tou are chopping?

For example, if you are standing and chopping something low, if you miss or get a glance you can hit your legs. Solution: broader stance, raise the object you are cleaving on a broad surface, or kneel. If you kneel, you will hit the ground if you miss instead of your calf.

With a hatchet, instead of balance a small log and try to split it with a chop, hold it lengthwise against the edge, hit against a log, and voila - it’s split

And compared to shooting and other hands on pursuits it's best to learn from another experienced person side by side hands on. You can watch all the videos but non of the videos will watch you back and correct mistakes.

Just don’t do crazy stuff like the stand on a log and chop down where your feet are. Those guys wear chain mail leggings.

Common sense and a mentor goes a long ways. If not it'll be a bit of work to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the internet.

Like most things that require skill, I look to the competitive side of things when possible for info on optimal techniques on the interwebs.

I noticed Ben Scott on youtube when I was looking to improve my underhand chop a few years ago. Before covid he was breaking into timber sports and also does lumber work for a living so he's got a lot of videos on axe usage.

5 lbs of sharpened steel on a wood stick will still break all the bones and destroy the tissue under chainmail. So learn the correct techniques to be safe and not rely on a crutch.

People jump out of perfectly good airplanes, go really fast in motorcycles, and underhand chop. Doesn't mean you have to. Do what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Chainmail leggings ?? This kind of bonehead advise is why the answer to your question is--don't trust ANYTHING you read or watch on the internet. Most (but not all) of it comes from boneheads like this guy. Volunteer on a trail crew like the Forest Service or Park Service. Learn to use an axe first hand from someone who makes their living, every day, using a axe.

Pay attention to what you're doing. Don't be thinking about what's for lunch or the evening's activities, be consciously aware of the axe and the path it's about to travel. The only time I hurt myself with an axe was when I hit my shin with the poll winding up for a swing in a tight area. I was thinking about where I wanted the bit to go, but not about where I was in relation to the axe as a whole. I tell my boys to always have an exit strategy when swinging a tool, place your body so a bad bounce or missed swing doesn't come back on you.

If you're throwing hawks, a quick rule is that a thrown object has a bad bounce range of about a foot for every ounce of weight. It does fall off as objects get heavier, but a tomahawk that hits an inelastic surface can rebound as far as a thrower usually stands. Throw at soft targets or be aware you may need to move out of the way.

I chop wood daily and have for many years.

There's a lot I could say but here's what I tell everyone new person trying to swing an axe.

1. Always use a wide round as a cutting base. Ideally it should be between shin and knee height.

2. You are not trying to arc your way forcefully through a log when cutting. You are trying to throw the axe head into the cutting base, and in the process of doing this you will split a log. The cutting motion is up and down, not an arc. It doesn't require great strength to split logs, it just requires to right motion. Raise the axe, use your shoulders, forearms and elbows to begin the motion down, and let the axe do it's job. If you miss the axe should hit the cutting base, not swing back toward you.

3. Practice without a log to split. Learn exactly how far you need to stand from your cutting block to put the axe squarely into it every time. MAKE SURE WHERE YOU WILL BE STANDING IS LEVEL AND CLEAR OF DEBRIS. Once you know where your axe will land every time, you're ready to cut some wood.

4. Do not try to cut diagonally standing logs. Do not try to cut logs with a diagonal top. Turn the log until it's square or toss it in the crap pile.

5. Stop before you're exhausted. The harder you're breathing and sweating, the dumber you are.

Now Hatchets...
I can't give safety advice here because I use hatchets in unsafe ways.

Last edited:
I started using axes a few years ago and taught myself by watching multiple videos.

The only specific advice I’ll add is to be prepared for an accident.

Assume you’ll have an accident and decide beforehand what you’ll do if it happens.

I’m frequently chopping alone on a trail, but I’ve always got (and know how to use) a tourniquet, quick clot gauze, and a radio/phone to get help coming if I need it.

And compared to shooting and other hands on pursuits it's best to learn from another experienced person side by side hands on. You can watch all the videos but non of the videos will watch you back and correct mistakes.

This, experience is the best teacher and learning from someone experienced is the best place to start.

Truthfully, I don't know where one would go to learn how to use one. Are there forestry classes or the like, like there are REI courses for camping, hiking, etc, or courses for field medicine? I know there are axe throwing places around, but not sure on axe use, bushcraft, etc. Is there an adult version of boyscouts outside of having friends that already went through boyscouts?

This, experience is the best teacher and learning from someone experienced is the best place to start.

Truthfully, I don't know where one would go to learn how to use one. Are there forestry classes or the like, like there are REI courses for camping, hiking, etc, or courses for field medicine? I know there are axe throwing places around, but not sure on axe use, bushcraft, etc. Is there an adult version of boyscouts outside of having friends that already went through boyscouts?
I would say attend a trail building workshop. They always start out with a good how too on tools and then you get to go hands on.

Back