I want a Ban Knife!

okay, i want one of these knives... can one of you tell me where i can get one?

How horrible is the waiting list?

on a related note, i'm looking to use my knife as a hunting/skinning knife. I can't decide between the following designs, and would like your input.

which would you prefer for a hunting/skinning knife, bt4, fat bt4 or bt4 recurve?

i think I prefer the convex grind, but i'm not certain of the benefits of each

Check your email ;) The waiting list is still somewhat manageable at this time. I am hoping that it will get better as I start doing things in batches.

on a related note, i'm looking to use my knife as a hunting/skinning knife. I can't decide between the following designs, and would like your input.

which would you prefer for a hunting/skinning knife, bt4, fat bt4 or bt4 recurve?

i think I prefer the convex grind, but i'm not certain of the benefits of each

I am very fond of the BT4 and BT4 Recurve design for all around use. The FAT version are for the chubby chasers.

Some prefer the choil-less version but I still prefer the regular BT4. I have used a BT4 on a hog and it worked well enough for me. Maybe someone with more field experience can chime in and give more insight as to what design is better for what. But at the end of the day it is still a matter of personally preference.

I like the flat grind for a BT4 sized knife because I think it is a good compromise between strength and cutting efficiency. A convex grind will be a bit more robust. A hollow grind will give up a little strength for better cutting geometry. All 3 grinds will have a zero convex edge.

BePrepared a BT4 will get it done no doubt but you may want to wait and check out the new BT3.5 and pure skinner that is in the works.

I personally like a full flat to zero convex.

Check your email ;) The waiting list is still somewhat manageable at this time. I am hoping that it will get better as I start doing things in batches.

List you say?

Ban, please send me the list. I am sure I want a BT4 but I would just like to have a reserved spot if possible.

No list to send. It is just a bunch of notes that I write down on a notebook with who, when, and what. I am just old school like that because I lost the previous electronic list.

I will probably start to gather up a few similar models with same steel and start doing them in small batches.

Ban, I have a large slab of DC-53, which is a much improved D2 toolsteel. I can send you all the available data on it. With a proper basic heat treat and temper, its performance should easily rival INFI. I know that's saying a lot, but take a look at the specs. It is relatively rare to get, and impossible to get in sizes thinner than .500, so I'll have to slice a section if you are interested. If you want to do a couple pieces in it, give me dimensions. I think this material and your designs would be a fantastic match.
If it has the potential to give INFI some competition, there is only one true way to find out...it has to be made into a chopper and a slicer. I say, who better than you to do that? Let me know.

Last edited:
I too would be interested in one of your awesome looking blades. Would love a flat ground BT4 with those sweet pumpkin G-10 scales, if possible. Hmmm, to recurve, or not to recurve, I'm honestly torn about that! Also curious about pricing, but I know from reading these threads that your prices are widely considered great for the quality of the product, so I'm not too worried about that. Email me?

Back