Photos Identification & dating help - my grandfather's knife

Wilsonhome

Professional Chupacabra Tamer
Platinum Member
Hello. If anyone could help me with a little identification and dating i would greatly appreciate it. Due to ridiculous and family drama driven reasons, i have only recently managed to put my hands on my grandfather's knife which was given to me by my dad when i was a teenager 35 or so years ago. It had been missing for a while and i had honestly not even remembered it being a Randall.

I am not sure of the model, but probably a 4? and i have no idea when it may have been made. I am not sure if the handle is original as the story told to me when i was a kid is that grandpa melted down a silver coin to create the butt cap, did the engraving of his name on it, and that the guard is also silver. I am not really sure of the truth on this or that i am remembering it right (beyond the fact the butt cap has his name engraved on it) and all my elders are now gone, so no one to ask. If he changes out the guard, though the handle might not be original as well, or it might (super helpful, i know). I am researching online today and am also going to order a book or two on the history of Randall once i figure out which ones to go with, but any help someone might be able to give would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't started cleaning it up yet, so it is a bit of a mess. I can post more pictures if it would help. Thanks!

Grandpas knife.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Model #4 that was rehandled at some point, and there's not much left to go on other than the blade choil. That choil shape and size is commonly seen on Randall knives made from about 1950 to 1960. Cool story, cool knife, glad you finally got a hold of it after all these years. :thumbsup:

Yes, it's a Model #4 that was rehandled at some point, and there's not much left to go on other than the blade choil. That choil shape and size is commonly seen on Randall knives made from about 1950 to 1960. Cool story, cool knife, glad you finally got a hold of it after all these years. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. I am planning to write up as much of the story about it that I can, along with other info on my grandpa, so that when it is passed down to my daughter and future generations any info will go with it.

Back