If you had to buy just one kitchen knife, and had $190, what would you buy?

You could buy these three French carbon steel Sabatier knives, and still have about $30 left over. These are superb knives that take a keen edge and hold it. The three will do about everything a cook needs to do, and do it all very well.
Sabatiertrio.jpg

A Kikuichi Performance TKC 240mm Gyuto is easily the best knife under $200. I've tried them all and it crushes all... good luck in your search!

Attachments

• 35ba73b.jpg
    35ba73b.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 13
I have a Messermeister San Moritz which I really like. I like the new G10 handled line from Benchmade, although I don't own one yet.

pd1680.jpg

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85676

This if you can find it within your price range... I recently bought my first j-knife and spent a lot of research and settled on this guy, couldn't find a single bad review about this knife. (I have found plenty for Shun knives - in my opinion for those you pay extra for the name alone). I also had this knife sent to get sharpened by Jason from these very forums and he said he loved working with the steel. He did an amazing job by the way.

Late to the party. Some good suggestions, personally I dislike vg10, hate the way it feels on the stones. Macmiddlebrooks suggestion of the TKC is great, you might also want to check out the carbo next line from japanesechefknife, similar steel to the tkc, semistainless. Sharpens up like a champ and retention is pretty good. If I had 190 to spend, I would get the 240 carbonext and the hiromoto as core petty. Both option are great gateway knives and a good place to start.

I am surprised no one mentioned a Global knife. I have been a chef for 20 years now and it was my first serious knife. I still have it and put it through hell. Plain 9' global chef knife priced at $133 Canadian, got 10 years out of it so far, and I have killed a Shun in that time ( makes me very sad ). But for a good under 150 for a knife I would go for a Global or a cheap ass industrial .j-a-henckels those ugly ones with the yellow handles, but then again I look to use my knives in an industrial setting not at home.

I am surprised no one mentioned a Global knife. I have been a chef for 20 years now and it was my first serious knife. I still have it and put it through hell. Plain 9' global chef knife priced at $133 Canadian, got 10 years out of it so far, and I have killed a Shun in that time ( makes me very sad ). But for a good under 150 for a knife I would go for a Global or a cheap ass industrial .j-a-henckels those ugly ones with the yellow handles, but then again I look to use my knives in an industrial setting not at home.

Nobody mentioned MAC knives either? I have a MAC chef and I love it to death. Very sharp, feels good in my hand. You can get the Shun Premier for 119.00 online too if you want a Shun. I think Shun is more hype than anything.

I was interested in the Carbo Next series too, but I have yet to try one. So many Japanese chef knives I would love to try to be honest, lol.

Got a small hard on for Global, I have the 9' chef.
Nine feet? I wonder how heavy and maneuverable that Chef's knife would be? Just kidding, I know what you mean. Anyway, I should have gone with a ten inch (10") Chef's Blade from Global. Now that you've reminded me, I think that'll be up next!

A Kikuichi Performance TKC 240mm Gyuto is easily the best knife under $200. I've tried them all and it crushes all... good luck in your search!

Just curious, have you tried Richmond's AEB-L knives? The Artifex or the Laser? I really like it but have been looking at the tkc as the main competitor

Back