Im back!

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Well, my wife asked me last night when I was going to start making knives again! Thats all I needed to hear. To tell you the truth I got kind of burned out. Having to juggle everything just wore me down and making wasn't really any fun anymore. It actually came at a good time with everything I have had to do the last couple of months. Since I started making, knives have always been on my mind. I dreamed about designs, thought about them at work, answered hundreds of emails at all times during the day and it just went away earlier this year. I think the timeline of orders took a toll as well. That being said, Im going to take it slow at first. I have a bunch of sheaths that I need to use so I will be making knives to match them over the next couple of months. I will try and have a good variety of designs but I want to make what feels right at the time. I will post up everything I make on the forum and will leave them up for awhile before putting on the main exchange. I want to give you guys first chance. I have a ton of new wood that Ive never used before so Im pretty excited to get started, and I picked up a killer Scandi Jig from Dogwood Dan over on the Fiddleback forum. I will finally be able to produce consistent Scandi grinds for those that like them.

On a lighter note, I wanted to let you guys know what I have been up to and what I have in store this year on a personal level. The home remodeling should get finished up in a month, so that will be behind me. My kids baseball season will be ending soon, I have had a blast coaching. It was the first year for all the boys and they have done really well. My oldest, the athlete, has picked it up quickly. My middle one has outstanding hand eye coordination and is probably the best one in the league, which was a huge surprise. My youngest is a football player in a baseball uniform. He is 3.5 and actually tackles his own team to get the ball. My daughter is playing volleyball like her momma and is doing great. Nothing makes this old athlete more proud than to see my kids getting involved in sports. It was a huge part of mine and my wifes lives and we love it.
I started running a couple weeks ago. My wife was an outstanding cross country runner and still runs to this day. I was alway more of a short distance kind of guy. I figured I needed to get back into shape to keep up with the kids and I want to start running races with my wife so I started on a program. Its been extremely humbling to say the least. I use to be able to go out and run five miles on a whim but not anymore! Ive made progress from a mile to a three mile run yesterday and I feel great physically. I ached after every run but yesterday was the turning point and I woke up today with no soreness and was ready for some more. My goal is to run a half marathon by the end of the year and race in some 5ks over the next couple of months, breaking 24 minutes.

Thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate them. Its been a long couple of months.

Glade to see you are back up! I am looking forward to seeing what you have in the cue! you are going to love the Scandi jig it made me feel a little guilty after the first time I used it. As always user pics are appreciated.
I know your pain, getting back in to shape can be crushing, even worst if your wife still is. I got married, started eating 3 meals a day, stopped working on a crew and packed on 50#. I shot my mouth off about running the Tough Guy race (the winter version) and suddenly found my days doing 6 mile moral runs hung over with out sweating wear well be hind me. I had to do the run a bit walk a bit routine to get my first mile down but it comes back it just hurts more the second time.

Welcome back Chris! Good to see you back, and running again. No pun intended, haha. I couldn't even run around my house without being winded. It's that bad. I'm just about ready to get my weights down here from my moms. I built a 20x12 shed a few years ago, and have been cleaning it out making room. I haven't lifted weights in 6 and a half years. I have lost 8 pounds. That's just from getting laid off though. I work at a candy factory, and I'm not eating all that candy now.

Thanks guys, its good to be back! Running is hard. My wife makes it look easy, she runs like a gazelle. I run like a linebacker. Its all good though, Im still faster in the 40 :)

Jim, you should look into the couch to 5k program online. Its a great low level way to get back in cardio shape.

Awesome!!! Sound like great plans......ALL of 'em!!! Please tell the kids and the Missus "Great Job" from me too!!!

Oh and give the Missus an extra hug from all of us for asking about the knife makin'!!!

Now get outside and chase your family arond the block!!!

Mike

ps - ....Now hurry back and get to grindin'.

good to hear your headspace & schedule are both clearing up at the same time! :D
looking forward to seeing you on the forums more -- you going to be able to make it out to Ethan's for any of the gathering weekend in a couple of weeks?
bring some toys to the knife rodeo!

Jim, you should look into the couch to 5k program online. Its a great low level way to get back in cardio shape.
Thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

Chris, really looking forward to see what you're getting ready to crank out. Love your work brother.

Glad to see you back and that you've found a way to make the making fun again! I'll be on the lookout for the new stuff, for sure.

Good to hear Chris! You say you have a lot of sheaths? Sending a pm...

Good deal Chris,this place ain't the same without you.
I used to run like crazy when I was in the Marines. (& much younger)
Even on board ships we could either run in the hanger deck during flight ops or on the flight deck when they weren't flying.
I think it was 8 laps in the hanger deck for a mile,plus you had to dodge tie down chains,quite the work out.
I never did a marathon though, :eek: good luck with that. :thumbup:
It does help to have a running partner,so it's good the wife runs too.
And music really helps,I used to always have a walkman in hand while running.(wish iPods where out then. :rolleyes:)
Music or someone to talk to helps the miles go by before you know it.

Anyhoo,welcome back & have some fun,summer's almost here after all.

I just returned as well Chris, honestly didn't know you were gone since I haven't visited in a while due to a number of reasons, but I'm glad to know you're back and will be still be making knives!

Back