Image Workaround for Over Limit Members

MT_Pokt

Gold Member
If you are like me, and many others whose luck has run out and got the over limit message, here's a work around to repost your previously uploaded images.

1) Go to your profile page and find your images. Usually a button on the tool bar called "Images".
2) Find the image you want to use and click on it. It should open in a separate page/window.
3) Copy the URL in the navigation bar at the top of the page. Either highlight and right-click, or click the share button and select url, link, or whatever language your system uses.
4) Come to the thread where you want to post your photo.
5) Click the little image in the tool bar at the top of the text window. It should say "drop image here".
6) At the top of that pop up window, click the tab that looks like chain "links".
7) Paste the previously copied url there.
8) Click "insert"

It won't help with new images if you're over the limit, but at least you'll be able to add images to your posts.

If you really wanted to make space and delete some of these duplicates without removing those images from subsequent posts, you could search out duplicates and edit those posts replacing the duplicate uploads with links to the original as described above.

If someone knows a better way, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.

Last edited:
Are the images limited by size or number of images. I down size my images during posting them.

Someone posted that he deleted a couple of thousand of his attachments...
How is this done?
I know how to find all of my images in my profile and I can go to my posts and edit them out individually but that would take a massive effort on my part.
There has to be a better way right?

Someone posted that he deleted a couple of thousand of his attachments...
How is this done?
A lot of clicking...
Barman1 said:
There has to be a better way right?
Unfortunately, no. There doesn't seem to be a way to select multiple attachments - it's a one at a time deal; but you kind of get into a groove as long as you aren't being selective or trying to work from oldest to newest.

Many of my pictures were larger in data size than they needed to be, so I deleted many and had intentions of beginning to selectively repost them using an image compressor to keep the files smaller.

It took quite a bit of time, and I barely got below the threshold limits and I can no longer delete images as the threads they are in have been locked.

Arghhh!

I guess my sharing picture days are over here as well.

Last edited:
I can no longer delete images as the threads they are in have been locked. Arghhh!
Sorry about that, probably relates to my policy of locking the previous Sunday Picture Show when starting a new one. Unintended consequence.
Historically going back as far as Armand's stewardship there was a problem with people bringing the old SPS forward with posts at the same time the new one was active. People not paying attention to the date started posting in the old incorrect show. Remember Armand editing the SPS titles to "Old Show" "New Show"? Armand was not a paid member so did not have thread locking privilege.

Last edited:
I currently have 2,473 images using 211mb. Platinum would give me 400mb which would be good for many more years if the attachment count requirement was dropped leaving me to only worry about the 400mb limit. I'm too far beyond the 1000 attachment count limit for Platinum.

Having just learned it was possible repost an older image without uploading it again will be a big help in the future. For example, the Sunday Picture Show heading image is 204kb and since I've been show host I've uploaded it weekly 164 times. That's over 33mb for one image that I've now learned could have been re-posted every week without ever being re uploaded.

Last edited:
I can’t seem to make it work from my phone

view

I had to go to edit then change URL to IMG at both ends.

Last edited:
It would be nice if when you clicked the “attach files” button it gave the option to get the image directly from your attachments.

Managing your attachments is not user friendly at all.

This may be old hat to most here and I know it isn't a perfect solution for those who have tons of stored pictures on the forum but before I knew about archiving images on the forum, I opened an account on Imgur. I don't get into the nonsense on the main page. It's just a place I upload my pictures to. You can choose to keep them hidden or let them go public. Mine are all hidden. All I do then is copy the BBCode and paste it in using the insert image icon above. As far as I can tell, there are no limitations from the forum because it is a link to the image on the website instead of internal forum storage. I have a lot of pictures posted, yet according to the forum I have zero attachments.

Maybe this will change in the future, but it's been working real well for me now. It's not as easy as the internal process. but at least I know it works.

mill428 mill428 I'm aware of the IMGUR option and if necessary will go that route but for the moment I'm holding out to see if a solution is offered here. I got burnt using Photobucket in the past so I'm gun shy, 1,600 links down the toilet. Depending on how you look at it, I'm an image posting over achiever.

If you are like me, and many others whose luck has run out and got the over limit message, here's a work around to repost your previously uploaded images.

1) Go to your profile page and find your images. Usually a button on the tool bar called "Images".
2) Find the image you want to use and click on it. It should open in a separate page/window.
3) Copy the URL in the navigation bar at the top of the page. Either highlight and right-click, or click the share button and select url, link, or whatever language your system uses.
4) Come to the thread where you want to post your photo.
5) Click the little image in the tool bar at the top of the text window. It should say "drop image here".
6) At the top of that pop up window, click the tab that looks like chain "links".
7) Paste the previously copied url there.
8) Click "insert"

It won't help with new images if you're over the limit, but at least you'll be able to add images to your posts.

If you really wanted to make space and delete some of these duplicates without removing those images from subsequent posts, you could search out duplicates and edit those posts replacing the duplicate uploads with links to the original as described above.

If someone knows a better way, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.

1. Ask the folks to run the site to solve the problem.

Perhaps the problem will be solved? (Hope springs eternal)

Could the 300 cap become 3,000 or more?
Could the members pay for the extra resources?
Dropbox, Google One, they seem to know how to bill us.

Do us a favor.. Take our money.

1. Ask the folks to run the site to solve the problem.

Perhaps the problem will be solved? (Hope springs eternal)

Could the 300 cap become 3,000 or more?
Could the members pay for the extra resources?
Dropbox, Google One, they seem to know how to bill us.

Do us a favor.. Take our money.
owners working on it fast as he can. getting server quotes and such. he's mentioned as much in the tech question section of the forum.

mill428 mill428 I'm aware of the IMGUR option and if necessary will go that route but for the moment I'm holding out to see if a solution is offered here. I got burnt using Photobucket in the past so I'm gun shy, 1,600 links down the toilet. Depending on how you look at it, I'm an image posting over achiever.
I had a feeling you were aware of the option of Imgur since, as you say, you're an image posting overachiever. :) Something most of us are grateful for, by the way. I was wary of Imgur when I signed up and assumed someday it may repeat the Photobucket fiasco. I don't think they have any idea the disaster they created for forum users when they turned everything upside down. Over night they effectively destroyed most picture threads. Imgur has worked for me so far in my limited capacity. But I have a fraction of images at this point.

Back