1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

In Need of a Sharpening System

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by IGotStabbed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. IGotStabbed

IGotStabbed

Jul 11, 2007
    I need a basic sharpening system for my folders. One that can do recurves is important. I'm looking at the Lansky system and also the Spyderco sharpmaker right now. Which one do you guys recommend. What are some others?

please don't tell me to get an edge pro :barf:

2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2011
    this should be in the "maintenance, sharpening, etc" forum. you should ask a mod nicely to move it for you.

i own both. i highly prefer my sharpmaker. of course i have the congress tool courser stones so i can re-profile with mine without spending a year working on a single knife. if you take the time to understand how the sharpmaker works and adjust to compensate for differing bevels from factory edges put on knives, you will be happy you got it.

sharpening on the corners works fine on re-curve knives.

3. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    This. Has always worked on mine.

Lansky and other slide-styles don't always work well and can over-sharpen (remove too much steel) at certain points while under-sharpen other parts of the recurve edge.

4. solidorange

solidorange

Aug 30, 2011
    i love my sharpmaker! pretty sure an untrained monkey could get blades sharp with that thing. :cool:

5. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    I completely agree with you on this one. I use a Sharpmaker on all of my folders and fixed blades and then finish them up on a leather strop. It's so easy a caveman could do it.

6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Freehand with an oval diamond steel. :D

7. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
  8. buckmaster96

buckmaster96

Jan 6, 2012
    work sharp knife and tool sharpener. works great on my machax

9. Flectric

Flectric Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2012
    All you need is DMT continous diamond stones. Amazon has the combo edges, you can get every edge from course,fine,extra fine, extra extra fine from two stones running you about 100-120 and your set for a very long time to come. Wil take but one try and you'll be hooked. There are a tad heavy for their size but well worth the prise.

10. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Sharpmaker is a great system. Paper wheels also good, but, being a power tool, more capable of rewarding stupidity with serious injury. I'm also interested in the Wicked Edge system, but the Sharpmaker is probably the most versatile inexpensive option out there.

11. Decimator22

Decimator22

Sep 9, 2010
    What exactly is wrong with an EdgePro?

12. aquaman67

aquaman67 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I have one and I have no luck with it.

I actually make knives worse with it. Maybe I need more practice or patience.

I can get decent results with the DMT Alinger.

13. seelow123

seelow123

Oct 4, 2008
    Get an Edge Pro:D

14. Sharpski

Sharpski Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2012
    I love my wicked edge...strongly suggest! Go to YouTube type in wicked edge and Clay Allison and be impressed!

15. Decimator22

Decimator22

Sep 9, 2010
    :thumbup:Damn Str8:thumbup:

16. skyhorse

skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    You may have better luck posting in the maintenance sub forum,that being said I'd go with the sharpmaker.The new high dollar systems are nice but developing you're skill with something as cheap as a Smith tri stone is really better in the long run.I remember back in the day before systems many an old timer getting fantastic results just using stones with out the hassle and expense of a system.