Ineresting development in the M marked axes!

Could 'M' refer to the number as measured, minimum or maximum head weight?

I also see what looks like the exact same 'M' stamp on head of different brands of axes that cold have been made by Mann for other axe companies or distributors.

Figured I'd kick in these pictures of an "M" stamped hatchet I've got. This one has always stumped me, kinda an oddball... cool head and it holds a nice edge, interesting handle w/ factory (?) alum. wedge.

Quite the enigma, I've heard the Mann theory quite a bit regarding these as well. Fine looking hatchet Joe. That looks slightly European to me.

Here is an "M" marked axe.

D10D3917-0C5F-4647-912B-95EAE0248A04.png.jpeg

This one seems to be a Collins. Still not sure what the "M" stands for.

Hey! A perfect rendition of those ornery 'flat slab' handled axes that I complained about in Canada for the past 20 years. I wouldn't doubt that the "M" stands for Mexico. Garant Tools of Canada introduced these awkward hafts (on heads, and as replacement handles) in the mid 1990s and only as of very recently have reverted back to conventional (namely use of 6/4 blanks instead of 7/8" slabs) oval hafts. Makes me suspect that Collins was the supplier to Garant with regard to their axe-related product line.
Picture below is from yesterday at Home Hardware in Manotick, Ontario; old stock 'flat slab' axe at the top with new version (swell is 1 3/8" thick) at the bottom. No stamps are evident and the labels only say 'assembled in Canada'.

PS the sand paint-dipped butts are wonderfully convenient for obscuring any useful inspection of end grain!

bulletin%20board%20and%20axes%20003%20Large_zpsj5whszgx.jpg

bulletin%20board%20and%20axes%20004%20Large_zpshzzgwz67.jpg

Last edited:
300, I guess I need to get out more I have never seen sand painted handles before. My hands are not soft but those look like they could ware right through a callus or tear them off. Maybe you guys are always gloved up?

300, I guess I need to get out more I have never seen sand painted handles before. My hands are not soft but those look like they could ware right through a callus or tear them off. Maybe you guys are always gloved up?

Walters Axe (I think) originated this about 50 years ago. It's not sand but rather rubber-lumpy paint. I've never heard anybody complain about them abrading hands, and rubbing such a butt with steel wool or sandpaper would smooth them out if that's what you're looking for. One thing for sure you do get a positive grip even when it's soaking wet or icy. My gripe with these is you can't properly inspect the end grain and usually mistake the cutoff saw pattern instead.

Interesting thread. The only reference to "M" stamped heads that I'm aware of happened after Collins production was moved to Mexico. I had read (somewhere)
that these heads were stamped with a "M" for Mexico.

I don't have anyway of confirming this, I read it on another forum. But it makes one wonder if they are producing axes in Mexico for Collins and also doing heads for other manufactures who assemble their axes in the States or Canada?

Tom

Interesting thread. The only reference to "M" stamped heads that I'm aware of happened after Collins production was moved to Mexico. I had read (somewhere)
that these heads were stamped with a "M" for Mexico.

I don't have anyway of confirming this, I read it on another forum. But it makes one wonder if they are producing axes in Mexico for Collins and also doing heads for other manufactures who assemble their axes in the States or Canada?

Tom

Cryptic stamps have always part of military history and it wouldn't surprise me at all if (during the late 20th century) Collins of USA insisted on "M" marked job lots once they decided it was easier/cheaper to sub out offshore than it was to try to make stuff themselves.

Cryptic stamps have always part of military history and it wouldn't surprise me at all if (during the late 20th century) Collins of USA insisted on "M" marked job lots once they decided it was easier/cheaper to sub out offshore than it was to try to make stuff themselves.

I do know that the Collins name, rights and manufacturing equipment was purchased and moved lot stock and barrel to Mexico. If there was a Collins USA, it was a Post Office box at best.

Tom

The only thing that seems sure is that no one knows what "M" on axe heads actually means. :D

I do know that the Collins name, rights and manufacturing equipment was purchased and moved lot stock and barrel to Mexico. If there was a Collins USA, it was a Post Office box at best.

Tom

Or in the case of the initial post where the label on the handle says 'made in USA' sort of truthfully (based on location of the label) selectively tells you the genuine hickory handle was 'made in USA'. Making and claiming the origin of things these days has become an art!
Years back McDonald's was accused of false advertizing with regard to their claim of 'all beef' hamburger patties. Sure they were shown to be laden with soybeans and sawdust but the company didn't lose the court case because they unequivocally proved that they purchased their patties from a company called 'All Beef'. Hence 'all beef' patties was not a lie!

Here is another M stamped axe. The stamp and head does not look at all like a Collins. Its a 4lb rafting pattern. The steel is on the hard side for sure. S&N ?

P1010001_zpslwgrihke.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is another M stamped axe. The stamp and head does not look at all like a Collins. Its a 4lb rafting pattern. The steel is on the hard side for sure. S&N ?

P1010001_zpslwgrihke.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Maybe an S&N.

Collins indeed made a 4-pound rafting axe but mine looks different from that one. Note the distinctive dimples at the front of the eye. It has that on both sides - top & bottom of the eye.

Collins%20branding%20axe-1.jpg

This one was modified with the addition of a logger's branding stamp.

Collins%20branding%20axe-2.jpg

Maybe an S&N.

Collins indeed made a 4-pound rafting axe but mine looks different from that one. Note the distinctive dimples at the front of the eye. It has that on both sides - top & bottom of the eye.

Collins%20branding%20axe-1.jpg

This one was modified with the addition of a logger's branding stamp.

Collins%20branding%20axe-2.jpg

I am surprised we don't see more rafting patterns modified like that. They are the perfect candidates. I see stamps on occasion but they always seem to be priced rather high.

I had not noticed the dimples before on the Collins and a quick check says I don't own a Collins rafting pattern.
This is the bottom of this rafting axe. I have not seen it before. Not what we would find on an old vintage axe.

P1010009_zpsatsorvwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those thick eye walls are the norm for rafting pattern axes. They need some mass there to resist the pounding.

Those thick eye walls are the norm for rafting pattern axes. They need some mass there to resist the pounding.

The heat treat seems to be dead on with this axe. Its been used with no mushrooming or chips to the poll. The die marks and rough grinding reminds me of 1970's or after manufacture. Good steel but kind of workmanship challenged. I guess pretty was not a consideration.

I know this conversation kind of goes around and around but here is a hatchet I came across that is "M" marked and still has a sticker on it that is legible.

I didn't buy it but I did snap a couple of photos.

Master Mechanic?

Back