Inkosi Large v. Small Blade Shapes

As I continue honing in on my keeper Inkosi, I’m having a difficult time choosing between drop point and Insingo. I’ve been seeing a theme of people saying Insingo for the small and drop point for the large. Why is that?

It is the tanto that reigns king in the CRK lineup large or small. Best overall design, has 2 points for differing uses, has 2 main body cutting edges again for differing uses. I use mine for many things that a DP or insingo cannot do but it can do what those do without a problem. The slightly curved tip is great for chisel use and the main body slices like any dp. The main tip pierces well and the secondary tip does fine cutting of boxes, paper, tape etc without the need to hold the knife at an extreme angle. It is the best of all worlds, 2 knives in one.

Ive owned them all and have settled on the DP for my use. The Insingo is the perfect EDC blade but I find at work I like a bit more point for some of the tasks I do. Off work I carry a Insingo 21 most of the time.

If I were to go back to just one knife it would be the Large Inkosi Insingo no doubt.

It is the tanto that reigns king in the CRK lineup large or small. Best overall design, has 2 points for differing uses, has 2 main body cutting edges again for differing uses. I use mine for many things that a DP or insingo cannot do but it can do what those do without a problem. The slightly curved tip is great for chisel use and the main body slices like any dp. The main tip pierces well and the secondary tip does fine cutting of boxes, paper, tape etc without the need to hold the knife at an extreme angle. It is the best of all worlds, 2 knives in one.
I was in the same camp not too long ago. I own two large Inkosis in MagnaCut. I no longer appreciate the secondary tip as much as I do a continuous curved edge.

Ive owned them all and have settled on the DP for my use. The Insingo is the perfect EDC blade but I find at work I like a bit more point for some of the tasks I do. Off work I carry a Insingo 21 most of the time.

If I were to go back to just one knife it would be the Large Inkosi Insingo no doubt.
Forgive me if I’ve asked this in a previous conversation and forgotten…do you find that the lowered tip on the Insingo makes a big difference for control compared to DP? Also, would one tip have more strength over the other?

Forgive me if I’ve asked this in a previous conversation and forgotten…do you find that the lowered tip on the Insingo makes a big difference for control compared to DP? Also, would one tip have more strength over the other?
The insingo tip is a thing of wonder! The blade shape makes draw cutting with the tip most excellent and that swedge is a great scraper. As for strength, the DP has more meet on the tip so I would gather it to be a bit stronger but if you are breaking a tip you should have been using a different tool

Could you provide some examples of the tip on the drop point being more useful at work compared to the Insingo?
The insingo tip is a thing of wonder! The blade shape makes draw cutting with the tip most excellent and that swedge is a great scraper. As for strength, the DP has more meet on the tip so I would gather it to be a bit stronger but if you are breaking a tip you should have been using a different tool
What are some examples of instances you preferred the tip of the drop point at work?

Could you provide some examples of the tip on the drop point being more useful at work compared to the Insingo?
1. Cutting O rings from inside channels
2. Metal splinter removal
3. Slicing tubing away from wire bundles
4. removing zip ties from wire bundles

thats a few that come to mind i did last week or so

I really like the look of the Drop Point, Inkosi so much I haven’t even opened the package that came in a week or two ago. It contains a Carbon Fiber Large Inkosi with the Insingo blade in MC from KAIMG_4599.jpeg

For me, the Insingo shines brightest on a smaller blade where the relatively longer straightish edge (relative to a a DP) can be an advantage in draw/pull cuts.

On a larger blade, at least for my uses, the above advantage is less important as there is a lot of straight edge in the bigger DP blade and the belly of the DP and fine point outweigh it. So I’d be 100% DP if I wanted a large and could have only one. This might be why some say go DP in a large.

At a 3” blade, it’s super close, but I lean slightly toward DP. Less than 3”, I’d personally go Insingo.

Really, I’m not sure there is a wrong answer.

I really like the look of the Drop Point, Inkosi so much I haven’t even opened the package that came in a week or two ago. It contains a Carbon Fiber Large Inkosi with the Insingo blade in MC from KAView attachment 2390738
Excellent! I’ve got a KSF Exclusive large drop point on the way. Still not convinced I’m gonna keep it, but I need to hold it. I feel like the Insingo is going to be more of an overall workhorse, but I find the way the aesthetics of the gently sloping spine on the DP make me feel outweighs any potential functional advantages the Insingo may have.

As I continue honing in on my keeper Inkosi, I’m having a difficult time choosing between drop point and Insingo. I’ve been seeing a theme of people saying Insingo for the small and drop point for the large. Why is that?
If you're only keeping one, I would first rule out the tanto. If your environment is primarily urban, I'd choose the insingo. If you will be using the knife in a rural environment or outdoors, the drop point is probably better. Then decide between large and small. I'd go for the large.

In the end, it's a first world problem. I think most people choose the one that speaks to them.

Alternatively, just keep hanging around here. You'll end up with all of them.

If you're only keeping one, I would first rule out the tanto. If your environment is primarily urban, I'd choose the insingo. If you will be using the knife in a rural environment or outdoors, the drop point is probably better. Then decide between large and small. I'd go for the large.

In the end, it's a first world problem. I think most people choose the one that speaks to them.

This is similar to my approach. Drop point rural because Insingo is less pointy and therefore less threatening in the city? What rural advantages on DP aside from skinning?

This seems like overthinking the issue...

I can see an argument for saying the tanto isn't the best all around...though I like them just fine. But, imho, the Insingo and DP are both great all around knives. I can't imagine standing in front of the closet for a half hour deciding which one might be better in case I have to perform an emergency tracheotomy while going about my business.

For a clumsy person like me the Insingo is a winner.

I don't think any blade shape is "less" threatening. If anyone doesn't believe me I will tag you into a thread where someone over-reacted when they saw a GEC knife.

If someone is affected by Hoplophobia they are not able to recognize all the blade shapes and put them on a threat scale.

For a clumsy person like me the Insingo is a winner.

I don't think any blade shape is "less" threatening. If anyone doesn't believe me I will tag you into a thread where someone over-reacted when they saw a GEC knife.

If someone is affected by Hoplophobia they are not able to recognize all the blade shapes and put them on a threat scale.
Serrated knives are even scarier...eek. (I think I have a bread knife with some...)

Back