Interrupting Stan Shaw's Marmalade Sandwich

Early on in our conversation with Stan, in response to something he said, I asked if he forged his blades. While Stan certainly has forged blades in the past, he seemed very slightly embarrassed to say that he didn’t forge his blades, he cut them out. I assumed he did this with a press, not a hacksaw blade!

I had even handled and commented on Stan’s hacksaw, without realising its significance, as it was made by James Neill Tools/Eclipse, where my father worked for 25 years or more, as did my uncle, and indeed my grandmother in her day, and my mother when she was young. In fact, my parents met at a works dance.

I must let Jack think that Stan understood him the best

I'm sure you've been practicing with your Yorkshire dictionary Duncan! :D I'm still on a high from your visit, it was a real pleasure. Hope your long flight goes OK, and isn't too tedious or cramped ;) Apart from seeing Stan, it was also great to have a pint with you :)

I'm sure you've been practicing with your Yorkshire dictionary Duncan! :D I'm still on a high from your visit, it was a real pleasure. Hope your long flight goes OK, and isn't too tedious or cramped ;) Apart from seeing Stan, it was also great to have a pint with you :)

I too am still going back there, not just with Stans time, but with everything you shared as well Jack-just a highlight of my England trip-thats for sure!

I have quite a few photos everyone, and please come back - lets say a weeks time, I will be in the air for 2 days, athen start work almost immediately so it will take a few days to load, sort, and THEN POST!
I feel quite snobby not replying to each of your very kind comments everyone, but I have read everone and each one means a hell of a lot to me, as it would to Jack.
What a great place, its a shame our place in Traditional land cant be one physically on the map, as I would be house hunting at this momement, I couldnt think of a better place to be surrounded by such good people.

Loking forward to posting the photos everyone, take care!

I have read everone and each one means a hell of a lot to me, as it would to Jack.

They certainly do Duncan, what a great bunch of people hang out here :)

What a great place, its a shame our place in Traditional land cant be one physically on the map, as I would be house hunting at this momement, I couldnt think of a better place to be surrounded by such good people.

Me too! :D

Wow, thanks so much to Jack and Duncan for this amazing thread. It's a rare event when you get to meet a 20th century Master. That inletting bow just Kills me. Thanks again guys. This thread is certainly worthy of sticky status IMO.

Very best regards

Robin

Duncan will shortly be setting off on the long flight back to New Zealand, but I'm sure he appreciates the kind words, as I do :)

Stan actually uses the bow for ALL his drilling!

Oh My. What a great experience the three of you have shared.

Both your narratives made it "real" for me as well.

I know I'll never get to visit the land of my ancestors. Never get to see Choulderton or Newbury.

Jack's command of English prose is almost like a trip home.

Duncan, you've had a once in a lifetime experience.

I'm green with envy.

Cannot wait to see the photos Duncan adds to this thread.

I have made the photo of Mr. Shaw's hands my desktop background.

Hi folks, sorry about the hold up in posting these photo's as promised of the Stan Shaw visit that Jack and I were so lucky to experience..
Here is a photo with Stan explaining to us about heat treatment, and note the huge 15 inch Bowie Blade that he is showing us, he keeps it as a reminder as he had totally finished the blade, then heat treated it, this resulted in the edge buckling right along the edge totally ruining the blade, he now heat treats before gringing the edge, note in the photo the massive bit of jeweled Ivory that Jack is holding, Stan seems to think that perhaps it belonged to a rather rich Indian group of sorts, as the inlays were extremely beautiful that were beautifully inlaid into the surface.The Ivory was extremely thick, the marrow centre was relatively thin leaving a massively thick Ivory wall....

Another shot of the Ivory...

I think that this shot of Stan talking to Jack is a classic, great for Jack!

And another - just brilliant...

C,mon Jack -enough of hogging the limelight! let me get in here lol, Stan is just a great person, I am not just saying this just because he is the person he is today, but simply because Stan Shaw is not only a living Legend as a knife maker-but a fantastic Gentleman as well, the whole time was so relaxing talking, it was such a great meeting...

During a part of the coversation Jack spied a beautiful Lockback that had lovely old Stag scales, Jack asked just what the old knife was on the bench - it was a beaut let me tell you, the owner had commisioned Stan to make the Lockback easier to release the blade-as it was very stubborn to release, a Sheffield knife stamped with a Glasgow retail firm, I have a horsemans knife with the same stampings that I put up in Micks ( Wellington ) Thread quite some time ago...

I asked if Stan would pose for a photo, as I wanted Charlie to see those famous hands holding Charlie's very own creation - sort of a two masters mix I guess.....

The size of Stans hands compares to the rest of the man, Stans hands are famous for very good reason ( note the old beaut of knife on the bench ) .....

Stan very much enjoyed demonstrating to us his technique, and his tools he used or made to do the job.....

Earlier in this Thread Jack talked about Stan making his own tools, and how Stan delighted in showing us how the shield inlay Bow had worked...here he domonstrates...

Stan showing us just exactly how it works, note the Apron that Stan has made for the base of the Bow the sit into-as Stan leans into the job - the pressure is applied whilst Stan is "playing the Bow" ....

If you look closely, Stan is holding a hardened punch in his left hand, now this is the nail-nick punch that Jack told you about earlier in the thread.....

Here is a parting photo-we asked if Stan could pose with us for a photo - he gladly did so, and he is holding his pose here .. note the smirk on Stans face - he really was a lovely person to talk to, and Jack and I are all the richer as people of this experience, Thank you Mr Stan Shaw, and thank you Jack for making this possible my friend.......

Last edited:
This has been a super read. Well done Jack and Duncan, two continents meeting for a common theme. I love it!

Wow! Thanks so much for posting this so soon after you got back Duncan, and thanks to your good lady for taking such great pics. What a great bloke, eh? :)

That pic of Duncan and Stan and Charlie's knife has to be the Barlow pic of the year! :thumbup:

This has got to be one of the most enjoyable threads I've read. Great pics and a great visit. Thanks folks!

This whole thread makes my heart smile. Thank you for another wonderful Stanza:D, Duncan!! Sue really captured each moment with exceptional skill and presence of mind:thumbup::thumbup:

What a fantastic thread! Thanks to both of you for sharing this experience with us and to Sue for the photos and her patience.:thumbup:

Back