1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Introducing Tiger Claw Sharpening

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Panthera tigris, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Sharpclaw / Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

Welcome to our home on Bladeforums.

Fiddleback Forge stands by your knives. They offer a spa treatment for knife refurbishing and sharpening.

For those learning to DIY, we also have the unofficial Fiddleback maintenance, care, optimization, and improvement thread hosted here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ence-care-optimization-and-improvement-thread!

Services

At Tigerclaw Sharpening, we handle every knife with great care and appreciation.

Upon receiving your knives, we will:

1. Assess the acuity of the blade edge and examine the apex of the edge for any damage.

2. Working with you and our consideration of the knife-maker’s original vision, establish a plan of approach.

3. Create, polish, or repair an edge to your specifications, removing any burrs along the entire cutting length of the blade.

4. Evaluate the edge, ensuring sharpness.

Current Pricing Schedule

$40 per hour, billed per minute.

Strop Purchasing and Maintenance

Standard white pine field-grade leather strop: $12 (choose coarse black or fine green compound).

Clean and renew strop compound: $5.

Shipping and Fees

Small USPS priority return with insurance and fees: Add $14.00 per box.

Medium USPS priority return with insurance and fees: Add $22.00 per box.

Large USPS priority return with insurance and fees: Add $28.00 per box.

^Please note, final shipping charges may vary based on value of knives, processing fees, and number of boxes needed to return your items.
    In the event of an overcharge, you will be refunded the difference unless alternative instructions have been provided.

I am open to using alternative carriers by request.

Exclusions

At this time, we do not offer full re-grinding services, hollow grinding, or convex edges. All edges are traditional V or compound V double bevels.

Here are a few samples of Fiddleback Forge and related brand knives I have had the pleasure of working with:

Fiddleback Forge Runt

[​IMG]

W.A. Surls Patch Knife

[​IMG]

Fiddleback Forge Camp Nessie

[​IMG]

Fiddleback Forge Duke

[​IMG]

Fiddleback Forge Hiking Buddy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiddleback Forge Bushfingers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiddleback Forge Runt and Fleming Itty Bitty Wharncliffe
    [​IMG]

Other selections may be viewed here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Tiger-Claw-Sharpening?p=16295517#post16295517

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Love the Runt versus Itty Bitty picture.....

3. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Sharpclaw / Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks. I work that Fleming Itty Bitty so hard on all types of gritty cardboard. CPM D2 has far exceeded my expectations.

The flame boxelder burl Fiddleback has been using lately is really appealing from a photography/appreciation/ecology/hard use perspective.

4. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Just sent you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Welcome to the Fiddleback Forge forums, I'm glad my post led you here and I will get back to you immediately.

6. CAD

CAD

Jan 11, 2006
    Sending a PM....

Chris D.:D

7. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Congrats!

8. xxwjtxx

xxwjtxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Congrats dude; looking forward to seeing more of your work! I was toying with offering sharpening/spa services a while back, but I barely have any time these days; way to step up! :thumbup:

9. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Much appreciated, gentlemen. Thank you for the interest and support.

I really enjoy hitting the stones on the weekend and spending some downtime with knives. My wife likes them too and she is going to be using the power tools to cut the strop boards and assemble the materials. It is a change of gear for us that should help us contribute to this community while keeping the hands busy. Be sure I am referring to your thread for backup and preparation :emot-yarr:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  10. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Good stuff Jarrett. I'm sure you will do a stellar job.

11. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Excellent!

PM coming...as soon as I decide what I'm sending you!

12. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    In less than 6 hours, my post reach has made it over 10,000 miles. I am humbled. Your edges look killer too. Thanks for the support.

I can't fix your Arowana man, I'm so sorry :miserable:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  13. Zardo

Zardo Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2015
    Congrats on your new adventure! I will definitely keep you mind for services....Good luck!!!!

14. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Nice looking thread! I wish you well on your sharpening fun!

15. steve o

steve o Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2013
    In the last year and a half Jarrett has sharpen many of my knifes. His knowledge of different steel types and his sharpening skills are outstanding. He is a pleasure to deal with and everything I have sent him has been done in a timely manner. I look forward to doing business with Jarrett in the future. He is a Great guy to work with.
    Thanks
    Steve O

16. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Steve o's standing orders are usually "Beat the heck out of this knife and tell me what you think"... Many of the awesome knives posted above came from his collection.

17. Warrior108

Warrior108 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I've been using an Edge Pro for about a year but only to put V or compound edges on my Spyderco folders. I have not yet attempted convex edges on any of my Fiddlebacks, WA Surls or Osprey K&T knives and have just been using a strop for basic edge maintenance.

If the Patch below looks familiar, its because I bought it from Jarrett. He had changed the angle a bit while resharpening the edge. Although this is a current picture after my use, it came to me with a really nice polished edge that still performs extremely well. I can attest that Jarrett knows his stuff and does top notch work. He definitely put a nicer edge on this Patch than I feel I could have accomplished.
    :thumbup::thumbup:

Jarrett,
    Congrats on tackling this venture, and for that nice Patch too.

[​IMG]

18. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    I am feeling immediate regret over the patch :D

Thanks for your input and let me know how it holds up. Your pictures are fantastic.

19. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    What kind of prices are we talking about, and are you limiting your services to Fiddlebacks?

20. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Email sent.