Is Coghlan's Flint striker anygood?

i give the Cochlans striker 3/4 out of ten
bic = 8/9 out of ten
matches = 7/8 out of ten
LMF=4/ 5 out of ten

and this is based on giving each of these item to a novice..for ease of use...
HERE..make a fire please...

magnifying glass..1/2 out of ten

just my two cents

Interesting, I thought there was a huge difference between the rod in the Coghlan's and the one in the LMF.

If both rods have similar performances the handle failing on me is not that big an issue.

BTW, has anyone tried any of these striker in really wet environments?

Martino, anyone here that is using a rod is doing so for the practice, and for fun. I always have a Bic in my kit but for now, I always start a fire with a rod beacuse it's fun. But, in doing so I get practice and I learn what works and what doesn't. My next goal is to consistently get a coal with bow and drill, but I'm not nearly there yet. Which leads me to the my answer to TKM.

I've never had to start a fire in an emergency but I have started a fire in the pouring rain, in snow and in the dark using only a rod. The key is in your materials. Depending on where you are, and the season, learn what materials are readily available to you. Have everything prepared ready to go before you begin.
If it's wet or cold, always use a base to isolate your tinder from the ground. In the Northeast U.S., for tinder, It's Paper Birch year-round, Cattail heads late summer to winter, Milkweed seedpods in the early summer, winter you can use dry grasses, etc. In the southern U.S. and wherever Mistwalker and Pitdog live ;) it's fatwood (anywhere rich in pines.) In the desert everything is dry anyway. I try to mix very fine stuff with some course stuff and that generally works for me.
For kindling you have to get to the dry wood which lies in the center of even the wettest (non-rotten) wood. Baton or split down to pencil sized pieces and have some of those down too. That would be stage two and three.
After that use thumb size, wrist size, forearm size, etc. By that time you can throw wet wood on being sure not to smother your fire.

Practice = fun = learning = confidence = more fun

Last edited:
Martino, anyone here that is using a rod is doing so for the practice, and for fun. I always have a Bic in my kit but for now, I always start a fire with a rod beacuse it's fun. But, in doing so I get practice and I learn what works and what doesn't. My next goal is to consistently get a coal with bow and drill, but I'm not nearly there yet. Which leads me to the my answer to TKM.

hey i agree 100%...its fun...and it also presents you with a challenge..ie..can i make a fire even tho its wet outside? with all natural tools...ie made by meself under those same conditions...if my bic failed for example..

I too have all the modern strikers/flint/matchthingamebobs...and i observe and relate to the pleasures derived from watching others succeed where i have failed...that darn bow drill...cant seem to construct it under pressure..and then again..how do you validate a LMF as opposed to a bic lighter or even matches? which one is more natural or fail safe? i would venture that going in without any of the aforementioned items would make it a somewhat foolish venture.

I guess it boils down to "i do it because i can get away with my bic and still have my matches as back up..."..thats why i do most of my crazy stuff anyway...

like i said tho..bic first...lol...

have a great day!!!!

Thank you Marcelo, my main concern was the rod not producing enough hot sparks after wet or under the rain.

I'm also a big fan of Bic lighters (I once actually forgot one in my pants and put them through the washing machine, when I took it out it was still working) so I'm using the rod as a back up along with vaseline-coatted cotton balls. The bow and drill is just not an option for me, I suck at it!

Back