Is it best to keep your pocket knife in a pocket sheath?

when your carrying your pocket knife for the day, is it best to keep it in a pocket sheath inside your pocket or if you have a belt sheath? if you keep your knife in your pocket without a sheath, i was thinking about the lint and cotton maybe getting inside the liners.

Well I have the knifeites and for me it all depends on the knife. My Buck 110 is on a belt sheath do to size. I carry two working stockmen in my pockets daily Buck 301 DW and Uncle Henry King Ranch straight in my front pockets with keys, bolts connectors, screws and whatever the daily jobs has me carrying and the knives get scratched and need air blow out and oil weekly. Now my man jewelry like the bladeforum knives I have been lucky to buy and my Case Red Bone stockman gets well protected as in watch pocket or vest away from other items.
Bob

Depends how important scratches and pepper spots/patina is to you. Loose in the pocket is harshest on a knife, especially if it's mixed in with other items, change, etc.

My GEC's go in the pocket alone without anything else, no slip. Over time perspiration, etc will darken it so if you want to avoid this use a slip. A couple of my "pretty" GEC's are carried in slips, but the 55, 06 and 92 go without a slip with nothing else in the pocket.

i'm not worried about scratches etc, but more about the lint getting inside the liners and corners. i guess you can't avoid this whether inside a pocket sheath or not.

I wear my soddie in a small belt pouch but usually pocket carry my knives. Recently got this little norfolk and it's so pretty I wanted to keep it that way. Made this tight fitting deerhide sleeve with a braided lanyard for vertical carry and retrieval.

Have a great day

Robin
10380904786_1aa21b439b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
10574341256_60bf3ecd66.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The lint is easily cleaned out with a toothpick/tissue - swipe the tissue down the length of the channel once a week and then a drop of oil on the joints and you're good to go :)

I have a modern lockback that is delicate on the lint issue. The mechanism has been jammed several times so the blade would not lock. It took rinsing under the tap to get it clean. So I recommend a pocket sheath/holster at least to lockbacks.

Right in the pocket without a sheath, unless the lock back issue arises. Lint and such is quick to clean out

While there is no "best" imho, this method works for me...it allows the knife to remain vertical, is easy to retrieve / replace, and keeps the pocket from developing holes (in addition to protecting the knife).

A simple pocket protector made from two pieces of leather sewn together. Made for me by Ron Ryder by request:

attachment.php

The knife will show the character derived from rub marks and the history of being retrieved and replaced over time, however. (This is not a bad thing imho.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about pocket lint poster.

For me, it depends on what I'm wearing if I use a pocket sheath or belt sheath, or no sheath at all. It also depends on the knife, and how many I'm carrying. If I'm wearing jeans, I'll usually carry in the watch-pocket, maybe put a second knife in a pocket sheath in the right front pocket, or use a small pouch, or jacket/vest pocket.

If I'm wearing trousers with slash pockets, I'll definitely use a pocket sheath and/or a belt pouch.

Nice set-up Robin :thumbup:

That's a fair point about protecting pockets too Elliott, that's another reason I sometimes use a pocket-sheath. And with those lovely folders you tend to carry, I think I'd want to look after them a bit too! :)

That's a fair point about protecting pockets too Elliott, that's another reason I sometimes use a pocket-sheath. And with those lovely folders you tend to carry, I think I'd want to look after them a bit too! :)

Ever since I was a kid in elementary school I've always hated getting holes in my pockets. Many are the (simple) treasures I've lost to them over those youthful years.

I have a modern lockback that is delicate on the lint issue. The mechanism has been jammed several times so the blade would not lock. It took rinsing under the tap to get it clean. So I recommend a pocket sheath/holster at least to lockbacks.

IME this is more of a problem with modern knives then with slippies. I haven't had any problems with slippies and lint. I just throw it in the pocket with everything else.

Ever since I was a kid in elementary school I've always hated getting holes in my pockets. Many are the (simple) treasures I've lost to them over those youthful years.

Yeah, me too! I find that sometimes even trousers of otherwise good quality have poor quality pocket linings. I've been lucky in not really losing anything significant, but I hate that feeling of loose change running down your leg! :D

Fantastic! really beautiful work.

I use a pocket sheath for knives I toss in my bag, or for a knife that shares a pocket with keys and coins. I also use a zippered pouch, usually with more than one knife in it, in which case I use a pocket slip to separate them from knocking together

IMG_7286.JPG

Yeah I have never had any problem with pocket lint or crud. Blowing on it in the field will get most of it out of the way. When you oil the joints use a toothpick or something to clean it out.

I have had a problem with bolsters getting scratched. Which normally really isnt a problem in that periodically I will shine up the knife with a polish.

However, with Case knives I have noted that the bolster material gets very fine scratches or oxidation or something that prevents them from shining back up very well. I have my grandfather's knives that are 40-50 plus years old and not babied in any way shape or form that will shine up better than a pretty new Case that has been carried for a year or so. I can't quite put my finger on it. I have a Case small stockman that I carried for 5-6 years that got where even a buffing wheel wouldnt really shine them up. I have fairly sweaty and maybe acidic sweat that may be the reason for this. I note that rear bolsters (like on mini trapper or copperlock) seem to be more susceptible to this so maybe it is my grubby paws. I dont know.

Fantastic! really beautiful work.

I use a pocket sheath for knives I toss in my bag, or for a knife that shares a pocket with keys and coins. I also use a zippered pouch, usually with more than one knife in it, in which case I use a pocket slip to separate them from knocking together

IMG_7286.JPG

Hi Jon, that's a very nice Rayskin wallet, looks to be beautifully made. It's amazing leather.

Have a great day

Robin

I kind of like the rough and tumble appearance they get after a few years of banging around against lighters, keys, and change. I just drop them in my pocket and go.

I plan on moving to a front pocket wallet soon so I may have to reconsider how I carry my slipjoints in that pocket.

Back