Is it legal to bring a EDC knife to Brazil?

So, I'm taking a trip to Brazil and wanted to bring my trusty Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with me. However, I do not know how their customs work. I heard some bad stuff about Brazil's customs so I wanted to ask:
Would they let my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 through customs without tearing my luggage apart, and/or even confiscating it so I never see it again?
Please help!!!

It's been about 12 years since I went to São Paulo and Fortaleza so I don't know how their technology may have advanced but no one touched my luggage; not even sure if they even scanned the checked bags through the airlines, and the bus lines definitely don't check. I'd be more worried about actually carrying the knife. In the two years I was there I never saw anyone carrying a knife unless they were gardening with their machetes as tools in their yard. And I'm not really sure of the legality of having a knife concealed on you. If a cop saw you pull one out of your pocket you'd have a lot of explaining to do because they will most likely assume you are planning on doing something illegal, so you better be well spoken with your Portuguese. I'd bring something else cheaper and only use it indoors where you are staying for food prep etc. If it's self defense you're thinking for a robbery, carrying no valuables is a better idea and having 10 or 20 reals on hand to give a thief quickly will be the best way to keep you out of trouble.

Last edited:
I’ve wondered what the knife laws are like in Brazil. I read somewhere that switchblades and balisongs are allowed as long as the blades are under a certain length. I also wonder what the knife laws are like in other places in Latin America. I know many switchblades have been made in Argentina, but I’m not sure what the laws are in general.

Yes you can carry it. I spoke with a couple MPs in Fortaleza yesterday but they advised not to carry in case I get robbed. They said with all the off duty cops killing them if they get a gun on you first they make you lift up your shirt and search you like a cop would and take everything you have. They advised not to resist because the vagabond has nothing to lose.

Back