It followed me home (Part 2)

My goodness. Then a cruiser or a shorter-handled full-size double bit on the next step?

Would a drawknife that size be useful for your trail crews working with big logs? I'm trying to think of what it would excel at.

Yes it would. I have 2 similar sized draw knives that we use for peeling large cedars for trail structures. It's rare to find them this large, though.

Yes it would. I have 2 similar sized draw knives that we use for peeling large cedars for trail structures. It's rare to find them this large, though.
I recently acquired a 24" (with 14" edge) drawknife made by Greenlee, and that's what I figured a good use would be. It looks similar to this one:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Really nice knifes.
Is the back of that one hollow ground?
The bevel side has no hollow, except maybe "cosmetically" for the last 1/4" at each end of the edge. The other side is flat.

Mine is slightly different from the one pictured, with the tangs bent over the handle ends (not threaded with nuts).

2hwz0js.jpg

fopysk.jpg

I certainly didn't need a broad axe-I already have one that virtually never gets used-but for the price I couldn't say no to this one. It's unmarked but seems to be made well. What caught my eye is that it's got a noticeable curve on the flat (un-beveled) side of the bit. My limited experience with my other broad axe tells me that this subtle detail could be advantageous, and I'd think that a maker who goes to the trouble of incorporating such a detail would be a pretty good one.

Could you take a picture of it without the cover ?
If it's a Michigan pattern it may be the same as mine and this would give me an good idea of what the original haft would've looked like ( my great grandfather cut the likely broken haft down to a house axe length at some point )
It's a Dayton, sorry. But, I'll post a pic anyway when I can.

Back