It followed me home (Part 2)

Great score on those WRIGHT sockets for $1, they're one of my favorite tool companies.

What make is that stud extractor?

Great score on those WRIGHT sockets for $1, they're one of my favorite tool companies.

What make is that stud extractor?
My assortment of 3/4in includes many WRIGHT sockets and two ratchet handles (The third handle is a CRAFTSMAN.).
20231024_000105.jpg
There are 51 sockets in the photo plus two approximately 6-7in deep home-made ones. All but one of the pieces in my pieced-together set were second-hand bargains. I rarely use these tools, but i really appreciate having them when I need them. I've now started working on a 1in drive set. They are a lot harder to find! T-A

Garage sale & antique mall trip today:
View attachment 2366035
View attachment 2366036
View attachment 2366037
View attachment 2366038
View attachment 2366039
View attachment 2366040
View attachment 2366041
View attachment 2366042
Two of the keys are for a series of padlocks that I collect. The sockets are USA made, 3/4in drive for $1 a piece. The axe is a cruiser! 2 3/4in eye weight-marked 2 lb and a half. And the haft is marked ARTISAN as well, although it's hard to read. I'm going to take it apart, clean up the head, and rehang it on the same haft in spite of its flaws. Together they tell a story. Besides, I'm never going to actually swing it. And, as a bonus, I got a whole hardware store hiding in the eye! Thanks for watching. T-A
Photos of my new ARTISAN petite SC with a full size big brother:
20231023_233259.jpg
20231023_233313.jpg
20231023_233349.jpg
20231023_233545.jpg
20231023_233742.jpg
Now I need to pick the right level of cleaning for the head. Unfortunately, the part of the haft that was buried in the eye is pretty compromised. We'll see if I'm talented enough to salvage it even if only for historical purposes. T-A

Now I need to pick the right level of cleaning for the head. Unfortunately, the part of the haft that was buried in the eye is pretty compromised. We'll see if I'm talented enough to salvage it even if only for historical purposes. T-A
With those worms holes in the handle I think I'd leave that axe exactly as you found it.

Photos of my new ARTISAN petite SC with a full size big brother:
View attachment 2367542
View attachment 2367545
View attachment 2367546
View attachment 2367547
View attachment 2367548
Nice pieces! I read the other day that Kelly made axes for Gambles. Does anyone know if this is so.

Nice pieces! I read the other day that Kelly made axes for Gambles. Does anyone know if this is so.
It can be challenging to sort through who all made tools and when for hardware store chains. I'm pretty sure some years ago I matched up an Artisan single bit to a Vaughn Value Brand. That doesn't mean that True Temper didn't make axes for Gambles though. I don't have a Artisan cruiser that matches accumultors cruiser but I do have one with the oval stamp. Just out of curiosity I will see if it matches any of my True Temper cruisers, not that I have all of True Tempers cruisers but there is a chance of a match if True Temper made them.

It can be challenging to sort through who all made tools and when for hardware store chains. I'm pretty sure some years ago I matched up an Artisan single bit to a Vaughn Value Brand. That doesn't mean that True Temper didn't make axes for Gambles though. I don't have an Artisan cruiser that matches accumultors cruiser but I do have one with the oval stamp. Just out of curiosity I will see if it matches any of my True Temper cruisers, not that I have all of True Tempers cruisers but there is a chance of a match if True Temper made them.
Thanks for the insight and sharing. I’m still looking for a cruiser to add to my collection. I’m a Kelly/TT collector. I have other pieces but they are a favorite collectible of mine. Many thanks!

This Estwing carpenter's hatchet "followed me home" in the sense that I have no idea where it came from. I've had it for somewhere between 15-20 years but I have no memory of it being given to me or even where I was living and working when I first noticed it among my tools. I could tell you when and where I got pretty much everything I have so that's kind of weird to me.

In any case, I've never used it so it's never needed an edge. It's severely blunted. I don't do much carpentry anymore but I think it might be nice to have along on a long hike. What should I do to put an edge on this?

20231027-132338.jpg

20231027-132443.jpg

20231027-132932.jpg

So sharpen by hand, no grinder? Will do. Thank you.
Yes, file and stone.

Keep in mind that old axes and hatchets acquire an oxidation layer which can be significantly harder than the underlying steel. At first your file may want to just skate across the surface.

Clamp the axe to the top edge of your bench with the bit just overhanging. Use a fresh sharp high quality file. Adjust your speed and pressure so that the file is biting. Work through the oxidation layer in one small area. Then work out from there lifting the oxidation with the softer steel just below. File then hone.

Yes, file and stone.

Keep in mind that old axes and hatchets acquire an oxidation layer which can be significantly harder than the underlying steel. At first your file may want to just skate across the surface.

Clamp the axe to the top edge of your bench with the bit just overhanging. Use a fresh sharp high quality file. Adjust your speed and pressure so that the file is biting. Work through the oxidation layer in one small area. Then work out from there lifting the oxidation with the softer steel just below. File then hone.
This is great info, thank you for the step-by-step. Much appreciated.

Yes, file and stone.

Yes , this is how I also do it , but it can take a long time ;)

Treasures from a recent day of junquing:
20231107_205826.jpg
20231107_205841.jpg
20231107_205848.jpg
20231107_205859.jpg

20231107_205920.jpg
20231107_205935.jpg
20231107_210000.jpg
I would have hung the Kelly on a curved haft, but I probably won't rehang it. The banjolele is unbranded, likely c.1930. I restrung it. I wish it was a tenor rather than a soprano. The machete is sterile, probably a Burma Regiment piece from 1944-45. It shows no signs of use or sharpening. I'm way more excited about my new treasures than my buddy Rigby is! T-A

View attachment 2383425
View attachment 2383426
View attachment 2383427
View attachment 2383428

View attachment 2383429
View attachment 2383430
View attachment 2383431
I would have hung the Kelly on a curved haft, but I probably won't rehang it. The banjolele is unbranded, likely c.1930. I restrung it. I wish it was a tenor rather than a soprano. The machete is sterile, probably a Burma Regiment piece from 1944-45. It shows no signs of use or sharpening. I'm way more excited about my new treasures than my buddy Rigby is! T-A

Last edited:
Using what you provided, I found this:
Nearly identical to mine, but mine has the copper rivets in place securing a metal guard that protects the leather when the blade is being withdrawn from or returned to the sheath. The gentleman from whom I acquired the machete told me that he replaced the rivets with new ones that matched what had been there originally. Thanks for your input. T-A

View attachment 2383425
View attachment 2383426
View attachment 2383427
View attachment 2383428

View attachment 2383429
View attachment 2383430
View attachment 2383431
The dog was a great score!

Back