1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Just ordered my first CRK! Brand new Umnumzaan on the way!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by WillSwift, Oct 5, 2012.

1. WillSwift

WillSwift

Jul 1, 2012
    Hello everyone!

Well I've finally gone and done it, I've ordered my first ever CRK! It took me a while to build up the courage to finally click "buy", considering the fact that I've never held or even seen a CRK knife in person, however if ever there was a knife who's reputation precedes itself, I figured it had to be a Chris Reeves folder.

I settled on the Umnumzaan because of a features that really attracted me such as the ceramic ball lock, the thumbstud shock absorbers etc... And I feel that I've made the right choice for me.
    Only one hiccup in the whole process, while ordering the knife, I failed to realize that the dealer I purchased it from is going to be closed until the 10th! So now instead of using my new umnum while I post this, as anticipated, I'm confronted with a wait of nearly a week!

I don't know how i'll possibly handle the suspense!
    So in order to help deal with the wait, how about you guys post up photos, stories, and anything related to your experience with this fine looking blade! Because I don't have it in hand, I keep second guessing myself whether or not it was worth it. Help show me that I've made the right choice!

-Will Swift

2. lemmuhj

lemmuhj Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2010
    Fantastic first choice! The Umnumzaan is my favorite CRK(the entire line up is a super close second) You will be very impressed when you unravel it from the blue cloth. Crk's are(imo) far superior than any other production knives available. Enjoy!!

3. lisantica

lisantica Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Oh, I bet you're going to love it!

4. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I think you will be very surprised the first time you open it. The rubber o-rings cushion the thwack in a way that you will not have previously experienced. Its quite groovy.

5. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I plan on making the Umnum my first as well.

6. US-STEEL

US-STEEL

Aug 6, 2012
    The Mighty Zaan is awesome, it's mad-crazy blade profile trips my trigger. I can't stop carrying this knife; truth be told when its not in my pocket, it's on my desk, when it's not on my desk its next to me on the couch table, when it's not there, it's on my lap, sometimes I even cradle it in my hands (I mean after all , it did come with a Birth Certificate). Yes, I even sleep with the Zaan on my nightstand. Don't laugh WillSwift, because this is all going to happen to you too in just 1 week.:)

7. nilfire77

nilfire77

Jan 16, 2012
    Congrats on the new score! I love the umnumzaan so much that I bought 2 of em(the regular and the tanto).. If a third one is to come, it'll definitely be the Startac one!

8. Oldbugr

Oldbugr Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Will, I know what if feels like to wait, I got home from work a couple of minutes ago and my first CRK was here. I opted and bought a large sabenza for my first, but can already see a zaan coming, and that's after only fondling the large for a short period. The CRK knives sure live up to the hype, fit and finish are outstanding, and very smooth right out of the box.

9. sigsoup

sigsoup

Dec 17, 2011
    Oh man, you made a great choice I held mine everyday at night for 5 days straight. The attention to detail will make you know for sure you did the right thing. congrats. We all here are pretty sick we can help you justify any knife just ask us !!!

10. jamesmtl

jamesmtl

Jan 12, 2011
    I loved my zaan. It is a serious knife.

Make sure you reard and follow the opening instructions. Mine bit me

11. WillSwift

WillSwift

Jul 1, 2012
    You guys are sure making me feel good about my choice, I totally can't wait to put this blade to work!

12. squad314

squad314

Nov 11, 2005
    Just took delivery of my TNK Tanto this week.......Love it.

13. CrimsonTideShooter

CrimsonTideShooter

Oct 23, 2010
    The Zaan is a totally different animal than the sebs. I still can't decide which I like better, but for now I am EDC'ing the Zaan.

14. claycat

claycat

Apr 10, 2003
    Just got mine yesterday, 2nd one (1st sebbie w/ inlays) no disappointment here. Really like the blade shape and quiet opening. Enjoy it.:eek:

15. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    I drove down to Plaza Cutlery and picked up a Zaan today.

I had my choice of either the old pivot or the new, and well, you see what I chose. I like the idea of being able to take it down with simple wrenches. I immediately disassembled it to remove the lanyard pin.

Anyways, here it is. It already has love marks too from being in my pocket next to my keys.

[​IMG]

16. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    You're going to love it!
    Ive edc'd mine for nearly 2 years and although other knives have came and went it is always back in my pocket by the next day-I bet that in the entire time it hasn't missed 3 weeks in my pocket.
    Mine is the TNK Tanto version which is by far my favorite of the Umnum's, followed closely by the StarTAc, which i also own.
    Now if they just made a Tanto StarTAc id be in heaven.
    Use it in good health and don worry about scratching it all up, it only gets more character as it goes along.

17. simplespeed

simplespeed

Jan 12, 2011
    Iv been carrying mine for over two months. Not a single knife has been carried since i bought my umnumzaan. Its a great blade shape and size and takes up very little room in the pocket. Many knives with a smaller blade have a much more bulky handle. Mine is wearing nicely and becoming a bit polished on the pivot eng from being in the bottom of my pocket with coins and keys. The first scratches have pretty much disappeared.

18. hoxhunbe

hoxhunbe

Feb 6, 2012
    :thumbup:

(This would be more appropriate if the thumb was red from soreness :D)

19. GPBob

GPBob

Oct 8, 2012
    I have yet to cut anything harder than an apple with my new Umnumzaan. I'll be receiving my Spyderco Sharpmaker on the 22nd. So, after that I'll be putting it through it's paces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Maprik

Maprik

May 17, 2012
    Just got my Umnum today *thanks RiverRat84* and I just love it. I'm trying to collect classic examples of various makers as USERS and the Umnum fits in perfectly...

[​IMG]
    Untitled by GermoneGold, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Untitled by GermoneGold, on Flickr