Ka-Bar USN MK1 First Impressions

Does the sheath dull the edge? I don't mean make it dull enough to not cut, but lose the razor edge quickly. I've had two FRN sheaths and both kill the edge just by insert and draw the knife a few times, one is a Becker and another Spyderco, so now I'm nervous about these injection mold sheaths.

Also how is the handle length compare with regular USMC? I had one and the handle was a bit short for me, though MK1 doesn't have a upper guard so that alleviate the problem somewhat.

Roughly the same length, but its thicker, more hand filling than the 1217 oval shape. My wife has a kraton one that I sharpened up for her a little while back, she says its still sharp. I'll check it to see.

Yeah, FRN does dull the hell outta knife edge, but I know Kabar is now going to IJM plastic, to alleviate that issue. the new sheaths are already in the rotation.

Moose

Thanks. I think I may just wait till the old sheath is out of rotation before getting one, don't really trust any dealer to tell the new from old.

Thanks. I think I may just wait till the old sheath is out of rotation before getting one, don't really trust any dealer to tell the new from old.

These are new enough, they probably don't have the old sheath on them. The ones I got were early releases and prototypes. :D

Moose

IJM plastic... is that different than the "glassless" versions of the becker sheaths that we're starting to see, or is this something different?

Also, I'm all anxious about the contest, just waiting to hear the results.

IJM plastic... is that different than the "glassless" versions of the becker sheaths that we're starting to see, or is this something different?

Also, I'm all anxious about the contest, just waiting to hear the results.

IJM, Injection Molded Plastic

Moose

It's nice to hear that the FRN sheaths are going out of existence....the sheath is the only thing that's kept me from ordering a kraton mk1 so far

nice looknig knife. i havent got one yet so cant say what its like but ive always found that you cant go wrong with a ka bar

Yo Brian!
You promised more! Lets hear about it!

This thing looks so sweet that it may have just made the top of my want list.

Frank

Yo Brian!
You promised more! Lets hear about it!

This thing looks so sweet that it may have just made the top of my want list.

Frank

Ok Frank, sure. Just give me till next weekend at least, I've been pretty swamp lately...

I got mine today, sheath dulling still happens but I managed to fix that by insert a u shaped regular plastic sheet inside the sheath. The handle is actually pretty short for my hand. Hammer grip is fine and comfortable, but saber grip puts my thumb pass the guard or pinky on the butt cap, it doesn't have an upper guard so it's not bad. I like the FFG better than saber on the USMC, although it would be nice if the unsharpened tang is smaller. I redid the edge with my belt sander and it's screaming sharp now, will see how it holds.

And mistwalker looking forward to your thoughts on it.

I have been looking for one of the leather handled ones and still can't find one anywhere. Is this an urban legend? :)

Back