KaBar Becker 1095 Cro-Van vs 1095 steel what is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care who you are, that there is funny.....Even with that sour feeling creeping inexorably up your throat.....That's truly unkind- LOL......

ethan

Back to the original post, assuming it's asking a serious question. If you'd read the Becker Blade Database, there is a section on blade steel, which gives a lot of information. 0.5% Cr doesn't do anything significant for rust prevention, you need at least 12-13% for that. What that small amount of Cr does is make it easier to through harden the blade, instead of just surface hardening. I imagine that it helps with KA-BAR's marquenching heat treatment.

Ignorance.jpg

Back to the original post, assuming it's asking a serious question. If you'd read the Becker Blade Database, there is a section on blade steel, which gives a lot of information. 0.5% Cr doesn't do anything significant for rust prevention, you need at least 12-13% for that. What that small amount of Cr does is make it easier to through harden the blade, instead of just surface hardening. I imagine that it helps with KA-BAR's marquenching heat treatment.

Hmm, interesting, and brings up something I've wondered.
(Ah, and comparing to A2 with ~5% Cr, which does seem a bit less prone to staining than these others).

I don't understand why 1084 (Aldo's is the only kind I've used) seems to through-harden easily, 1095 does not, but O1 does. I'm guessing it's the other alloying elements, but that's all quite vague.

-Daizee

I believe it is, yes. By the way, that's just the right amount of wrong.

Yeah, don't think this is going to go much better, from here on out.

Lets just let this one slip into the abyss of Page 2.

Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back