1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Karambit "Laws"

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by n8swag, Feb 18, 2012.

1. n8swag

n8swag

Feb 4, 2012
    Hi, I live in Greenville, SC. So I was telling someone about a Boker CLB Karambit I recently purchased. More as an EDC than a self-defense weapon but anyways, he told me to watch out because it was illegal to carry a karambit in some states. I was wondering if you knew if it was illegal to carry a folding karambit in SC. Thanks!

2. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    That person needs to crack a law book once in his life. There are no laws anywhere in the United States that specifically target Karambits. It would be far too specific and the Karambit has far too much in common with Vinyl and Linoleum cutting knives widely used by contractors and flooring installers. There are laws where a karambit could be included but these would be very broad and include most other types of knife too.

Under South Carolina's somewhat new law, all knives are legal to carry so long as there is no unlawful intent or if it is carried during the comission of a crime.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

3. n8swag

n8swag

Feb 4, 2012
    Thankyou very much! My knife is a tool and used as one, or if the need arrises also for self defense:) Not with intent to hurt...

4. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    It is generally best NOT to refer to self defense. If the need arises, fine, defend yourself, but don't suggest to the police that you are carrying that specific tool thinking it would be effective for hurting people.

5. n8swag

n8swag

Feb 4, 2012
    haha. yeah that probably wouldn't be very wise.

6. TOM1960

TOM1960

Nov 5, 2007
    +1 Good advice, indeed!