1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

katana identification(nothing special so dont get exited)

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by rustymaggot, Jun 4, 2017.

1. rustymaggot

rustymaggot

Sep 10, 2007
    im trying to get more info about what i assume is a relatively cheap sword. i think its made for cutting practice. i want to try to id it to make sure its not decorative before i try cutting things. thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    You're right in that it was probably inexpensive but that doesn't make it a bad sword. Construction doesn't look terrible to me. No wirebrushed hamon or anything that sets off any warning bells. You could always put on some safety glasses, fill a jug or two and give it a shot, probably best to keep any onlookers a good distance back until you know it's up to the task you set it to. I'd say it's carbon steel, the question is how good the heat treat was done and what's the exact steel composition. You may never know that without testing it. Others on here can probably narrow that down more for you, but I'd say your assessment of it as an "entry-level cutter" is pretty spot-on. It's not a wall hanger..it reminds me of a "build your own sword" or maybe a lower end Musashi.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  3. rustymaggot

rustymaggot

Sep 10, 2007
    thank you.

4. Highlander 20026

Highlander 20026

Jun 19, 2015
    you can tell it is a newer sword, without a maker on the tang who knows, but the tang is not rusted and tarnished, and you can see grinding marks on the tang at the top instead of file marks this tells me it is most likely massed produced

5. horseclover

horseclover

Nov 21, 2000
    With brass fittings, two mekugi and alternating tsuka maki, toss in a good saya finish; It is a bit above floor sweepings or sub $100 class. Might be an SBG special, with the red choices.

Cheers

GC

6. rustymaggot

rustymaggot

Sep 10, 2007
    i think i have positively identified it as hanbon forge. i spent so many hours googling random things and finally found pictures of things that matched.