Kayak Fishing - Show yoru stuff!

I am about to take the plunge into yaks and fishing. Post your thoughts and pics on boats and rigs. Thanks!

I have a Native Water craft 14.5 propel. I can paddle, peddle or use the volt system which is a trolling motor that mounts in the center. It is a hybrid where it is a kayak shape and open like a canoe. The pontoon design allows one to stand up and fish in it. The best part is the first class seat, it is like a small lawn chair and very comfortable.
I bought mine on craigs list.

http://nativewatercraft.com/

View attachment 280969

I just bought an emotion renegade kayak used a few weeks ago. So far I've been out fishing twice in it, it's pretty fun my only suggestions are to get a sit on top and get an anchor when you get one. As I do more fishing I'll add more to the thread. Sorry no pics of my boat, I would go out and take some but it's dumping buckets of rain right now.

I have been kayak fishing for about 9 years. I dont have any fancy attachments on my boat. The most important things i would look for are
  • cockpit size (bigger the better to fit some extra gear and)
  • open space directly behind the seat (I use this to store most of my plano boxes and small gear)
  • paddle holder on the boat (fighting a nice bass while your paddle is bouncing around sucks)
  • deck rigging on the front and back is very handy to store your most used gear
  • a small grapple anchor comes in handy form time to time.
I have never bothered with rod holders. I only bring one with me and i never really needed one.

Ive been fishing out of a kayak this season. My old one was a keewee something that I got off craigslist, it works good, but the weight limit is too low, so I just got a perception swifty. It is a sit in, 9' 6" long and a weight limit of 300 pounds, good for those of us that weigh over 200.

Im the odd man out as I prefer sit in, instead of a sit on top. here we have alot of sind, and most of the year the water is kinda cold. so I like the protcetion a sit in gives me. the open area behind the seat is nice for a daypack/ lunch ect... and the bungee cords on the top infront and behind are really nice. I havent found the need for a rod holder as I just lay it in the cockpit in front of me and it is supported by the rim of the cockpit.

I usually just troll back wards and so havent found the need for an anchor.

It is alot of fun! and really handy for our smaller waters. and when you go to a city lake, park the truck and with one hand grab the yak and head off to the shore! no motors, gas, batteries, trailers, ect... nice and simple.

Wife surprised me yesterday while we were out running errands. She told me to head to the local Dicks Sporting goods to look at yaks! I have been saving for one and she kicked in the balance today for new Field & Stream 12' Eagle Run Yak!!!! 60lbs boat weight with a 500 lb limit, removable cargo pod, rod holders, foot pegs and a very comfy seat! Picked up my PFD and paddle, just need suggestions on what other gear to get now.

Coming home:
photo6-1.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8-1.jpg

I have tried both sit in and sit on top an really prefer the sit in. Whatever floats your boat right? :)

For accesories, Id say a fishing rod, small tackle box, needle nose pliers and a buttpack to hold it in, a net that will slip under front bungees, a rope or bungees to attach to paddle, stringer, water bottle.

Make sure you sit in the yak in garage with gear and imagine you just hooked a fish, and go through what happens next, what you will need and when and make sure everything is easy to get to and tied down to the boat, yet out of the way in case you roll and have to do an exit without getting hung up on anythings ties.

Also ziplock baggies for cell phone {i double bag that}, and wallet.

Maybe legal stuff, here we dont have to register yaks, but they require a mussel sticker. Air horn for signalling boats that cant or dont see you. Lights if required for after dark fishing.

Congrats on new yak!

Great looking Yak! The cut of the bow looks like it can take some rough water.
Second the signal device. Lot of guys in Fl use flare guns. Fishing in one takes some getting used to especially if you hook a big one.
Is that a place to hold your catch in back. A soft side cooler is useful. cool yak:emot-yarr:

Last edited:
Looks good. Now it's time to go play.

It takes a while to get used to fishing out of one. You are so low to the water that it is a bit of a different fishing experience. I definitely suggest you get an anchor and small grapple to hook onto things periodically. You going to be fishing mostly streams/rivers or flat water? Carry some extra ropes for whatever as they come in handy from time to time.

If you are really serious about it, there are a number of sites for kayak fishing. Everything from flat water to ocean fishing from a kayak (most are from sit on top standpoint). When I was living in California I had a Malibu Extreme, which I chose for size (13'), stability (33" across, and almost impossible to sink, was going to use it for diving as well), and weight capacity (to 600 pounds). I've seen kayaks carrying live bait tanks in the rear.

I have been doing allot of research and reading and the possibilities are endless on rigging a yak for fishing. For the time being I will puttering around lakes and dipping my line occasionally. Thanks for the all the advice.

I also putter around the lakes or mostly working the edges in my area. Kayaking is a great outlet. When I bought my WS Tarpon, I had visions of paddling the rivers for trout. But since I am mostly doing this by myself, river fishing can be a bit of a pain if there is much current since you end up usually way down stream from your starting point and you have to get back to your vehicle without loosing the yak to somebody with itching fingers. Find a friend with a yak, fish together, and a world of possibilities open up.

Back