Kershaw speed safe springs

You know....I've seen many threads on broken axis lock springs, but never broken Kershaw speed safe springs. In the last ten years I've had at least 4 Blackouts where the springs broke. Now, Kershaw is really coming into it's own and I'm reluctant to jump on the wagon. Yet, I never hear of anyone on here having problems with the speed safe spring. Did Kershaw correct this problem? Or was I just jinxed and went thru the "law of averages" very quickly? LOL

Its usually just a quick e-mail that will get you a bag of replacement springs from Kershaw if you do have a problem so I think a lot of people who aren't afraid to take their knives apart are pleased to know that replacements are readily available. Or you can send it in and have it replaced. I haven't had any break on me personally but most Speedsafe knives can still function without the spring assist.

Its usually just a quick e-mail that will get you a bag of replacement springs from Kershaw if you do have a problem so I think a lot of people who aren't afraid to take their knives apart are pleased to know that replacements are readily available. Or you can send it in and have it replaced. I haven't had any break on me personally but most Speedsafe knives can still function without the spring assist.

Mine wasn't broken, but I took apart my Boa out of curiosity. It really wasn't that hard to dissassemble and put back together, something that anyone with the right tools could easily do. So even if the spring does break, I would never consider it a "con" to the knife.

I've had those springs break on multiple Kershaw knives. Kershaw is a great company with great warranty and customer service. They sent me replacements very quickly. Regardless, I sold all of my kershaws since I hate having an unreliable knife system.... I'm weird like that though. Really can't tolerate thinking it can go and break anytime.

I've had those springs break on multiple Kershaw knives. Kershaw is a great company with great warranty and customer service. They sent me replacements very quickly. Regardless, I sold all of my kershaws since I hate having an unreliable knife system.... I'm weird like that though. Really can't tolerate thinking it can go and break anytime.

Razor....that's what I'm thinking. The whole system is too iffy for me. I've had Benchmade and Microtech autos where the springs broke....I'm done with autos....too unreliable. At least with the axis lock, one spring working keeps the knife working.

I think broken speedsafe springs don't get as much negative attention as axis springs is because they're not integral to the knife's function and Kershaw is fine with sending relplacements, neither of which are true of axis springs and Benchmade.

I think broken speedsafe springs don't get as much negative attention as axis springs is because they're not integral to the knife's function and Kershaw is fine with sending relplacements, neither of which are true of axis springs and Benchmade.

Well put. :thumbup:

If your speedsafe torsion bar breaks, you have a manual folder. If your Omega springs break, your knife doesn't freaking work any more. :p

I've had torsion bars break in my Leek, Cyclone, and Blur at various points. I just didn't bother replacing the one in my Cyclone because I prefer it as a manual folder, but they're pretty darn easy to replace, even for someone as mechanically inept as I am.

Plus, the last time I had to replace one, Kershaw sent me a whole set of replacement parts (including a pocket clip, body screws, a new pivot, new washers, a bag full of torsion bars, and the tool I needed to use all of it. :eek:) for free. When the omega springs in my Presidio broke, I had to spend 15 bucks to ship the knife to Benchmade and then wait for it to come back. Both companies took care of the problem and had great customer service, but Kershaw just went that extra mile.

I own three Kershaw AO knives, and I've only had the torsion bar spring break on my Zero Tolerance 0300 back in January. The knife still functioned fine (just had to carry it tip-down for a few days), but after contacting Kershaw via e-mail they sent three additional springs to replace my broken one - nearly a year now with no issues whatsoever.

I broke a spring or 2 on my Leek. I called Kershaw CS and they sent me several at no charge. BTW, Kershaw CS is very friendly. Also, the Leek is very simple to disassemble and reassemble. So I never saw it as a problem.

It's been stated many times here that Kershaw's springs are designed to last 10,000 cycles. If you open and close your knife only when you actually use it, the spring will last many years.

Last edited:
I have never had a Kershaw spring break yet. I sense if you use it as a knife and don't "play" open it dozens of times in a short period of time, you will not have an issue. The springs seem to weaken as a direct result of numerous quick openings. It may not break during those openings, but the damage is done then.

Yeah but, Tom -- I buy all my knives to play with them! :D

For those who can't handle the "unreliability" of the Speedsafe system, Kershaw makes many fine knife without it.

I have had one break In my EDC out of the 7 or 8 assisted Kershaw's I have. It snapped at the curve where I would have expected It to fail.

For the Ironic part, my EDC Is the G-10 stonewashed edition of the Needs Work... the Tortion bar broke as I was opening a pox that had the brand new G-10 stonewashed edition Needs Work I had just ordered.

The good:
I had the parts In 3 days.:thumbup: (From across the country)

The bad:
The Needs Work sux as a "flipper".

I repair friends and family's Kershaw knives (Among others) and sharpen them for free and I have never had to replace a broken Tortion Bar, just bent one's.

I will say this, I do periodically replace mine as If you compare a 3 month old TB to a new one, the long piece will be bent, this Is due to closed storage IMO and that Is why mine are stored open. It also speeds up opening.

Methinks Kershaw could save a ton of money and trouble going to beryllium copper or some such for their torsion springs. Just a thought.

Methinks Kershaw could save a ton of money and trouble going to beryllium copper or some such for their torsion springs. Just a thought.

How so? The piano wire works quite well...

Seriously, if you are having trouble with the torsion bar, you can always get a replacement from Kershaw in short order, and a smile from them to boot. They also make many knives with smooth, manual opening as well. :thumbup:

Why even bring up the axis lock into the thread? If you break them, you're in a lot bigger predicament than a speedsafe folder (not to mention that BM doesn't warranty knives that have been taken apart.) :thumbdn:

Back