Kifaru, help ? Not sure which one ?

So I am thinking about a Kifaru pack. Something around 3000 CI in thier tactical line. I hope to have it function as a big daypack, 72 hour pack, yet capable of a decent trip with a few add ons

I would like to learn from others in what they have liked and what they didnt.

I like the idea of Zulu, but think getting access to gear might be problematice (Top load only)

I like the Pointman but now its zippers to worry about

The navigator has a pretty cool panel loading, but price and zippers.

I like the design of the x-ray but I think its too small even with extra pockets to fit my needs

School me :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too discouraged about their zippers -- they're heavy duty and generally have buckles in the area to keep the strain off. You may also consider the marauder which is another panel loader. I ultimately settled on the regular express and attached grab-it. I'm very happy with this combo. :thumbup:

Good luck with your decision. :)

here's a zulu and zxr reviews:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/834563-Kifaru-G2-Zulu-cold-weather-loadout
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/837192-review-kifaru-g2-zxr-backpack.

as for zippers, kifaru's are downright massive. and like abbott said, compression straps takes the pressure off the zippers anyway. maxpedition falcon ii zippers on top and kifaru on the bottom:

kifaru_long_pocket_10.jpg

even more massive compared to osprey's zippers:

osprey_manta_20_069.jpg

as for quick gear access - what sort of gear? the zulu has these three panels outside of the main pack that's perfect for a knife, axe, hydration bladder, etc. for energy bar, compass, etc. i store it in small pouches that's attached to the waist belt.

you can also get the xtl top lid for the zulu which provides more compartments.

So I am thinking about a Kifaru pack. Something around 3000 CI in thier tactical line. I hope to have it function as a big daypack, 72 hour pack, yet capable of a decent trip with a few add ons

I would like to learn from others in what they have liked and what they didnt.

I like the idea of Zulu, but think getting access to gear might be problematice (Top load only)

I like the Pointman but now its zippers to worry about

The navigator has a pretty cool panel loading, but price and zippers.

I lkie the design of the x-ray but I think its too small even with extra pockets to fit my needs

School me :)

I’ve got a few Kifaru pieces. As to the zippers, I don’t think you need to worry…the abuse some of mine have seen would be hard to replicate unless you’re planning a trip to a combat zone or two; honestly, they are not your typical commercial backpacking zippers.

If I had to choose one of the Kifaru line for a multi-use pack, I would recommend the Zulu. I do own an EMR, Pointman, couple of Scouts, E&E and the Zulu. The Zulu gives you a lot of flexibility as a day pack to a 72 hour or weekend backpacking bag. It is a simple design with some great features, plus you have the benefit of expansion which the Pointman doesn’t. The addition of a couple of long pockets and a Claymore or other sized pouches on the back give you a lot of extra room for extending your capability. I know the Pointman/Navigator have the upgraded suspension, but my Zulu has easily (and comfortably) packed 60+pounds. If you’re going to exceed that, I would look at the MMR sized packs.

Hope that helps.

ROCK6

I think I am growing fond of the Zulu.

It seems as though it can fit many roles, something that is of ever growing importance to me

Points taken on the zippers, they look squared away !

The Zulu is definitely the most versatile pack they make in my opinion... You can crush it all down for a day bag or fill it up. Throw on an xtl lid and maybe a backpouch or organizer, you'd be good to go for about anything. I had borrowed a Zulu for a few weeks and it was an eye opening experience for sure. I'll b picking up my own eventually but I have an xray that's dear to my heart For now :)

I'd vote for the Zulu in that size.

I've got a Gen I Zulu, and even though they have upgraded the suspension in the Gen II, I've found mine to be comfortable with anything I've put in it.
As with all top loaders, you put the things you use most on top, last things you use on the bottom.

One of the biggest plusses of the Zulu is the slip pockets on the sides. If you're into bushcrafting and such, they are a great place to put your axe or folding saw, tent pegs/poles, etc.

Personally I hate zippers on a pack, and I'm glad the Zulu doesn't have them, as it's the perfect pack, in my mind.

The slip pockets are very useful as is the extendable collar.

Last edited:
I am 6'03 215, as I look at the photos I see is the 21" stays long enough? I truly despise a pack that is too short.

I have a long torso and worry the Zulu may not be the best fit for me.

You could really ask the woman who receives the orders any questions you have, im sure she has heard them all. I bought two kifaru packs while they were getting out the last of the g1's and they literally searched the warehouse for me to see if there was a desert tan zxr they had missed (and there was) but that display made me a customer for life, just pull up the website and pick up the phone and they will square you away.

I am 6'03 215, as I look at the photos I see is the 21" stays long enough? I truly despise a pack that is too short.

I have a long torso and worry the Zulu may not be the best fit for me.

That is something you need to consider. The Zulu makes no claims about being a pack with great shoulder lift. It's a basic ruck capable of expanding a great deal and being loaded up very heavy if needed.
Other packs they offer have longer stays and would provide some true lift.

I also suggest calling Kifaru and getting advice direct from the source. Great people there!

Last edited:
That is something you need to consider. The Zulu makes no claims about being a pack with great shoulder lift. It's a basic ruck capable of expanding a great deal and being loaded up very heavy if needed.
Other packs they offer have longer stays and would provide some true lift.

I also suggest calling Kifaru and getting advice direct from the source. Great people there!

I did one better, went by and tried some on.

The ZXR (24" Stays) is the only one that fit. The EMR's and up did as well, but are way out of my size range. After doing the math, that $500 + pill is a little hard to swallow !

I think the quality of Kifaru is no doubt second to none, that kind of investment is a little hard to get excited about :(

dude! have you ever met a person who regretted buying quality? when it comes to personal comfort and ease of use on the trail I'll opt everytime for the gear that holds up and makes my life easier. I have my eye on several of their products and look forward to the day I make the order.

I think the quality of Kifaru is no doubt second to none, that kind of investment is a little hard to get excited about :(
Yeah, unless you just have a bunch of play money, you need to have a practical reason for these packs. Most people really don't.

Try going to an REI store. You're sure to find something that fits your frame and can wear it loaded around the store.

I have nothing bad to speak of with Kifaru. I really enjoyed the visit, learned alot, really enjoy looking over thier line. They have by far the most inovative backpacking products I have seen. I really liked the ZXR (Zulu Extreme). I had anticipated a $400 mark to shoot for. Well, $500 for the pack, $76 for the extended top, $60 for a single orginzing pouch, Taxes, Etc. So by the time it was over with $750 would go real fast !

I'm not the guy who uses a pack for a living or even every weekend.So that said, with my uses, it wouldnt be a wise use of money for a pack.

I really liked the Molle/Pals concept which started me down this path. The idea that one pack could replace the two that I have was appealing. I think I will stick to my Osprey Kestral and old LL Bean to get me by

Thanks for all the replies and input

Last edited:
I suggest you go by the Kifaru forums and even eBay, you can often find packs priced considerably lower -- they're often G1 packs that guys want to dump for the G2.

Consider a G2 Zulu with the standard lid, padded power pull belt and grommets cost $417+shipping. I bought mine used, in that configuration, only it's a G1, and I got it for $250.

Back