knife tests .com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I just haven't browsed around enough, but how come I didn't see this sort of criticism when Swamp Rat chopped concrete with their Camp Tramp (or was it a Battle Rat?) and did a destruction test with their D2? I thought those tests were pretty neat, too.

As did I.

Main reason I bought a few....

I like to see how flexible a blade is, or how much weight it could support. I like to know how well and how long the edge will hold up.

How about starting with sharpening a pencil and slicing a tomato?
:D

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

Want to keep yourself uber secret, eh ?

:rolleyes:

Your "testing" didn't prove much, wasn't scientific and was boring as all get out.

I look forward to someone getting a knife testing site and doing it RIGHT and doing it without any juvenile secret identity crap.

David: It is easy to be a armchair quarterback. It is different when your actually
in the game holding the ball.

Since you seem to know how to "doing it RIGHT" as you say. Then get off your bottom and DO IT.

It is easy to be a armchair quarterback. It is different when your actually
in the game holding the ball.

crack_pipe.jpg

Is it so hard to abstract what you see in his video to real world use? I figure if the knife doesn't chip out when he's chopping concrete, then chances are that it will not chip out when cutting softer materials such as wood, cardboard, etc (note I say chances are, not definitely). If the knife chops 2x4's well, I'd imagine it will chop real world wood ok as well. Yeah, I'm gonna make those assumptions and while I won't believe them 100%, I won't know any better until I do it myself.

Comparatively, if I see one knife chopping much better than the other, then chances are it will be better at chopping in real world use as well. Would you say, even though you saw the Strider chopping poorly, that you wouldn't be able to say it chops worse than the other knives just because it's not real world usage?

Just how far does he have to go to do a real world test? Would he have to mimic your techniques? Because that will make a difference. If I really wanted to see what a knife could do, I'd do it myself. Watching it on video, even if it is real world, won't necessarily mean it'll work out that way for you. I think the videos are good to make observations from, though.

Maybe I just haven't browsed around enough, but how come I didn't see this sort of criticism when Swamp Rat chopped concrete with their Camp Tramp (or was it a Battle Rat?) and did a destruction test with their D2? I thought those tests were pretty neat, too.

We all know that Swamp Rat and Busse do tests like chopping through cinder blocks to prove the durability of their blades. However, I don't like Noss4's attitude towards the manufacturers of the knives he tests. He believe's all these manufacturers are trying to take advantage of us by advertising biased testing results and for some thats true, but for most it is not. He's not doing these "tests" for educational purposes. He genuinely enjoys destroying knives. How about sending those knives overseas so the men defending our country can actually put them to good use.

MikeMade™;4295464 said:
We all know that Swamp Rat and Busse do tests like chopping through cinder blocks to prove the durability of their blades. However, I don't like Noss4's attitude towards the manufacturers of the knives he tests. He believe's all these manufacturers are trying to take advantage of us by advertising biased testing results and for some thats true, but for most it is not. He's not doing these "tests" for educational purposes. He genuinely enjoys destroying knives. How about sending those knives overseas so the men defending our country can actually put them to good use.
I'm talking about those who are criticizing his methods, not his agenda. I don't agree that he believes manufacturers are advertising biased results (but what do I know, I'm not him) or doing it just because he likes to break knives. If he just likes to break knives, I don't see why he would video tape himself, improve his methods when asked (albeit to an extent), have some commentary on the knives, post them on a knife forum, etc. He may not be doing them to educate himself, but I can still find some useful bits of information by watching. I do agree that his people skills aren't so great, but that really doesn't affect me.

He's just one person, it's not like he's destroying boat loads of knives. What about people who collect knives and stick them in drawers? They're essentially doing the same thing in regards to sending knives overseas. I'm pretty sure a large number of people on this forum are guilty of that, myself included.

But he doesn't "tape himself," he uses a disguise.....

Hard to take anyone seriously who 'hides'.....

Then again, as someone posted, he doesn't WANT to be taken seriously....in which case, he has succeeded.

But he doesn't "tape himself," he uses a disguise.....

Hard to take anyone seriously who 'hides'.....

Then again, as someone posted, he doesn't WANT to be taken seriously....in which case, he has succeeded.

It's Very hard to take you seriously..But wait you have done so many tests your self haven't you. Remember your the man that knows how it is supposed to be done and haven't done it.

How do YOU know what I've done or not ? you don't. Go back and play w/ Freddy !

He's just one person, it's not like he's destroying boat loads of knives. What about people who collect knives and stick them in drawers? They're essentially doing the same thing in regards to sending knives overseas. I'm pretty sure a large number of people on this forum are guilty of that, myself included.

Thats a valid point, I guess I just don't see the need to purposefully destroy each knife. But hey, its his money.

Noss, why not come up with a strict testing regimen that is exactly the same for each knife? Then record the data and post it on your site as well as on the video. I would actually be interested in seeing something like that.

MikeMade™;4295669 said:
Noss, why not come up with a strict testing regimen that is exactly the same for each knife? Then record the data and post it on your site as well as on the video. I would actually be interested in seeing something like that.

ditto............even moreso if he took off the hockey mask and fired Freddy Kruger!

:D

MikeMade™;4295669 said:

My last three knives have been tested Becker, K-bar USMC ,Stider BT.
have been tested the same way there are a few differences. Such as the Strider was the first tanto point tested and I wanted to see what this type of point could do. I did a lot of tip penetration with it more then the others.

This is a video test. It is available for all to see. Some see the videos a different way then others. The mind sees what it wants to see I guess.

I did post what I did with the first two knives in this forum The K-Bar 14 1/4 bowie and the cold steel bushman.

I do plan to do a write up on all knives on the web site. I have another career. I don't do this for a living.

It takes me about 4 to 7 hours to get the videos ready for the internet after the test. This is all growing. It will take some time to get it all together.

I am not a scientist I can not provide metallurgy and scientific analysis.

It's a shame you'd rather take the time and effort to make lame retorts instead of taking the various suggestions and advice to heart.

I'm done with ye

noss, don't even waste your time with the naysayers. Who cares what they think anyway? They're your knives. Do whatever the hell you want to them. Last time I checked this was America. Land of the free, right?
Yeah anyway.......
So when are you gonna test the Seal 2000? I've got one and I'm curious how far I could take that knife if I REALLY had to use.

It's a shame you'd rather take the time and effort to make lame retorts instead of taking the various suggestions and advice to heart.

I'm done with ye

Where are your tests,websites and videos by the way. I'm waiting. It looks like I may have long wait though.

I don't agree that he believes manufacturers are advertising biased results. . . . .

The following is from the front page of his web site. The highlighted areas clearly show noss' beliefs. . . . ;)

knifetests.com said:
All knife tests performed by Knife Tests.com are independent tests with no manufacture input or control. Manufactures will try and duplicate us, for marketing purposes. However no manufacture will do its products or reputation harm. It's a simple Fact.

Knives tested by Knife Tests.com are out of the box. Just as you the consumer purchases them. There is no pre sharpening no alterations made of any kind. Only one knife is subjected to Our Destruction Test from beginning to end.

We have no loyalty to any knife manufacture or their slick marketing tactics.

For unbiased, hardcore testing. Knife Tests.com is your answer.

One could argue that the wording he chose was used to attract people to his web site and to validate him as a knife tester. If that's true, then he's done nothing more than fall into the same "marketing tactics" he claims knife manufacturers are employing. I'm sure that noss and several of his fan-boys will claim different.

It's Very hard to take you seriously..But wait you have done so many tests your self haven't you. Remember your the man that knows how it is supposed to be done and haven't done it.

Then where is it. Please show us all your videos/tests, Websites.

Where are your tests,websites and videos by the way. I'm waiting. It looks like I may have long wait though.

Interesting. . . .no one is worthy enough to make comments unless they publish "so-called" knife testing videos and or test results on their own web site. :jerkit:

I am not a scientist I can not provide metallurgy and scientific analysis.

anim_lol.gif

It's a shame you'll spend your time and money as you see fit. You really should just do whatever David E tells you to, someone in this world needs to listen to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back