1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Knives aside, what are your other hobbies??

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by ddd, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ddd

ddd KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 6, 2003
    I'm sure that some of you knifemakers, dealers and collectors do find time
    for serious additional hobbies. Shooting, fishing, painting, photography,
    hiking alone in the wilderness and so on.

I think it could be refreshing to hear about some of these, and will
    definately tell quite a lot about you too, whose knife related posts
    we read every day....

It might also cool down some of the hot (boiling) threads of recent days.... :)

but -

WITH PICTURES, Please!!!

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

2. firebert

firebert

Mar 24, 2008
    Rock, ice and alpine climbing are pretty much an obsession. I recently started caving, too. Other hobbies are collecting gems and minerals and photography.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm always behind the lens, so you'll have to be satisfied with pics I took of my friends.

Phillip

Attached Files:

3. Bobby Branton

Bobby Branton Moderator Moderator Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 12, 1998
    Since I went full time in 2003, I started looking for other things to do since my shop is behind my home. I was living and breathing knives 24/7.
    I followed my passion for Bluegrass and old time music. I now play the upright Bass and I am learning to play the Dobro. I have built one Dobro and I am participating in a build a long on a guitar on a Luthier's forum starting in Janurary.

Upright Bass

[​IMG]

Dobro (this is not the one that I built. It is similar)

[​IMG]

4. ddd

ddd KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 6, 2003
    What a beautiful opening, Phillip and Bobby Thanks!

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

5. John M Cohea

John M Cohea

Oct 24, 2007
    I ocassionaly make leather bags, jewlry and walking sticks, but no pics right now.

6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    My number one hobby, above knives by a long shot, is mountain biking. It costs a lot of money, and usually that monetary investment vanishes by way of broken bikes and parts, but returns by way of health and mental well being.

It is a way in which I can push my limitations and practice risk management- one of the most important human attributes- which allows spiritual growth and focus.

Mountain biking is dirty, hard and painful. I find that it is one area in my life where I can escape my regular thought patterns, and replace them with the fuzzy glow of naturally occurring endorphins.

Mountain biking allows me to consume any and all kinds of calories, and to preserve my physique. Additionally, I don't drive, and ride my bike to work every day, weather be damned.

Mental toughness is what I'm after, more than mental hardness. My mentality registers about 57RC.

I included a couple of pictures taken while riding, (I don't have lots of those, too busy riding I guess!) and a picture of my bike shop.

Great thread David!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Attached Files:

7. Karl B. Andersen

Karl B. Andersen KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 27, 2003
    Traditional archery and muzzle loader (side lock) shooting/hunting.

8. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    I enjoy hiking and exploring SW Utah with my wife. We try to get out at least once every weekend for some kind of adventure. I've added landscape photography to my hobby list and it's been terrific.

Win

Zion Canyon, about 45 minutes from our house:

[​IMG]

Paria River basin, many films made here:

[​IMG]

The Jeep at the Tramp Mine, Mesquite, NV:

[​IMG]

9. Marcel54

Marcel54

Jul 30, 2005
    I lead a very hectic life with a demanding job so, besides my family, I really don't have time for hobbies beside one. Don't laugh but I've set up a professional dart lane for myself in my house. Playing darts helps me relax and because of the required concentration and focus it's a great stress reliever.:D

Marcel

10. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    For me its hiking and shooting. I previously thru-hiked the Long Trail from MA to Canada but nowadays its simply peak bagging in the white mountains. i do love a good, cold winter hike though. Here are two great pics I took in January up on franconia ridge in NH:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as shooting goes, I used to be heavily into competition smallbore. I was ranked nationally way back before college, but these days I just do a lot of fun shooting, bullseye, etc.

Pic: Kaboom! Dual .500 magnums. You havent lived until you've shot a 700 grain hardcast round out of a 4" barrel:
    [​IMG]

Lorien,
    I used to do quite a bit of mountain biking, as well. I custom built an Evil Imperial from scratch that I still take out for spins now and then. Its fun to see the neighbor's faces when I cruise by on a 40# hardtail with its huge 1.5" headtube, raked geometry, 3" tires and its Chris King hubs whizzing away. Ive told myself to sell it many times, but just cannot bring myself to do it! i used to do some trials riding, too, but I quickly lost my skills when I stopped.

Heres as close as I could find to my build, but I have pewter King hubs:
    [​IMG]

11. braillediver

braillediver Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 6, 2007
    I Scuba Dive and Treasure Hunt in Lake Washington.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a Cell Phone and 5 megapixel camera I got scuba diving this summer.

[​IMG]

Vacuum Tube Audio and Headphones is another interest.

Mitch

12. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    I target shoot-rifles, pistols and shotguns, as well as crossbow and pellet rifle.

Acquire lighters, comic books, rock poster art, and other sorts of weapons.

Lift weights x4 days, do some cardio, and play raquetball on a weekly basis

Play paintball

Shoot pool and bowl.

Occasionally, paint, sculpt or tattoo.

Very occasionally mountain bike-Old Skool Cannondale SM400 and Giant NRS 2.

Mostly, I practice MJER Iai Heiho, as a Nidan(second degree blackbelt)

No pics of me, but here is my Sensei, Masayuki Shimabukuro, and our highest ranked non-Japanese, Carl Long Sensei doing Musho Shinden Ryu Jodo(stick vs sword) in Japan a few years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xMSkdNiGQ

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  13. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Other than making knives the thing I enjoy doing the most is fishing. Here's me with the first chinook salmon I landed on the Columbia River 4 years ago. I'm the one with the beard. :D

[​IMG]

14. ddd

Apr 6, 2003
    Ah, GREAT STUFF and GREAT PICTURES!!

Marcel, we all want to see a nice picture of your private dart throwing range......

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

15. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    This thread is useless unless there are better pics of the woman on that recovered phone. You did check the sim card, didnt you? :D

16. ddd

Apr 6, 2003
    I have made in-depth studies of two world-class custom knifemakers
    so far, and their non knife connected hobbies are very exciting, to say
    the least...

Edmund Davidson loves Muzzle-Loader Shooting. He has won the
    Virginia Muzzle-Loading Silhouette competition for 5 years in a row from 1995
    through 1999 as well as many shoots with Flintlock and Percussion rifles.
    He casts his own lead round balls, prepares all of his patch material and
    shoots only pure black powder, no substitutes.

In 1995 Edmund built his first flintlock muzzle loader in .58 caliber (shown here
    in a picture I took when staying with him in 2007
    ) and used a sugar maple blank
    for the stock.

The primitive clothing he is wearing is all hand made and by various artists
    and the 4-hide war shirt by Robert “Rusty” Martin has become his trademark
    at every event.
    A member of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (N.M.L.R.A.),
    Edmund is also endowment chairman of the Contemporary Longrifle
    Association (C.L.A.), and a member of the board of directors of the
    Contemporary Longrifle Foundation (C.L.F.).

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

From my book: "Edmund Davidson, The Art of the Integral Knife" (2008)
    [​IMG]

17. Marcel54

Marcel54

Jul 30, 2005
    David I don't think so...I would be the laughing stock of the whole knife community:D;)

By the way I use to bowl competitively (on a national level) for many years until a chronic injury (dislocating joint with almost every throw) on my middle finger......and no I won't show you my middle finger either:D

Man...you guys have amazing nature....I live in one of the most populated countries in the world and we don't have that so I'm kinda jealous.

Marcel

18. ddd

Apr 6, 2003
    Steven,

You do have an active routine that could easily be divided among 3-4 different
    people and would still keep them quite busy after (and probably before) work hours...

All the best,
    David Darom (ddd)

19. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    Sweet bike, Mr. Schott! Let me know if you ever need anything to go with it. I have been known to do trades with knife makers;)

20. severedthumbs

severedthumbs

Nov 9, 2004

still no pics of the mythical gaRSSON