Knives of the 2014 East Coast Custom Knife Show (ECCKS)

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Now in its 25th year, this show is impressive in the star-studded lineup of top-tier makers.

It is held in a wonderful venue (Westin Hotel) overlooking the Liberty Tower in Manhattan.

This is an area and show which provides the popularity of art knives and tacticals. Forged blades aren't as popular up here, I guess. :confused:

For those who enjoy the work of these makers, and to have an opportunity to talk with them, the show is a rare treat. It isn't overcrowded, and there wasn't the rush of tactical buyers in the room as there is in the Fall.

As is always noted, Steve D'Lack and his crew from Fifty-Fifty Productions: Cricket, Kylee, Nick, Peter et al, run this show well.

They also hold an AKI meeting here, as at least 1/2 of those makers are present. (Spoiler: Owen Wood, Emmanuel Esposito, and Curt Erickson are officially IN for 2015. :))

Read the partial list of attendees:

Barnett, Van
Bennica, Charles
Bergomi, Maurizio
Brignone, Paolo
Britton, Tim
Casey, Kevin
Chamblin, Joel
Consoli, Sergio
Corrado, Moro
Crawford, Pat & Wes
Davidson, Edmund
Cai, C.J.
Dellana
Derr, Herbert
Dozier, Bob
Elishewitz, Allen
Esposito, Emmanuel
Fogarizzu, Antonio
Frederick, Aaron
Fuegen, Larry
Hansen, Shaun & Sharla
Hara, Koji
Hendrickson, E. Jay
Hinderer, Rick
Hitchmough, Howard
Horn, Des
Johnson, Steve
Kious, Joe
Kressler, D.F.
Lake, Ron
Lambert, Kirby
Lecocq, Alexis
Loerchner, Elizabeth
Loerchner, Wolfgang
Martin, R.J.
Matsuno, Kansei
Matsuoka, Scot
McClure, Jerry
Minchew, Ryan
Minnick, Jim & Joyce
Morotti, Atillio
Muller, Jody
Nealy, Bud
Nell, Chad
O'Hare, Sean
Ohta, Hiroaki
Osborne, Warren
Ostroff, Neil - True North Knives
Ouye, Keith
Pease, W.D.
Ralph, Darrel
Reverdy, Pierre
Ruple, Bill
Rusnak, Josef
Steinau, Juergen
Strider Knives
Sucheras, Jean Pierre
Szilaski, Joseph
Terzuola, Bob
Tesarik, Richard
Thorburn, Andre
Tighe, Brian
Tuch, William
Viele, Howard
Watson, Daniel - Angel Sword
Weinstock, Robert
Wood, Owen
Young, John
Zscherny, Michael

Many of these high profile makers don't or can't bring many knives. That's the way it is. However, you may discuss a future order or simply engage with them.

Susan and I have ALWAYS enjoyed this show. From our perspective it's our very favorite show. It's super busy, but with *just enough* space to allow me to converse and chat with my clients. (Susan pleases far more than me, but I like to get a word in now and then. LOL!)

We arrive and setup by 10am on Friday morning and run daily till 1pm on Sunday.

Friday night we had an incomparable dinner with Neil Ostroff and Missy Beyer. Tim?, Chris?, and Peter Rassenti also at the table. The conversations were rated 'M' at the least... LOL! Props to Neil for his always-generous friendship.

Saturday we take a walk to the P.A.T.H. station and we tunnel the Hudson to get to Christopher St. in the village. Taxi from there to Little Italy (Buena Notte) and dessert (Palermo's) and we're back by 10pm with that yummy and romantic adventure.

We drive away on Sunday and got home before 4pm. So convenient.

Enough text. Let's see some cutlery...

Charles Bennica brought this unusual meteorite inlaid folder. The first little crescent is the opener and lock.
orig.jpg

Kevin Casey is a standout.
orig.jpg

Larry Parsons did a great job matching the blue mammoth in his sheath inlay.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kaj Embretsen
orig.jpg

Tore Fogarizzu dual left and right auto. WOW!
orig.jpg

Jay and Nancy Hendrickson represent the forged blade proudly.
orig.jpg

Steve Johnson brings the term 'quality' to his table.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

More....

Impressing the crowd is young Matt Martin, RJ Martin's son. He's designed and is tooling out these 'tactical' pens, at a decent price point. He can't build them fast enough.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jody Muller and his wife Ginger are always a pleasure and his knives are ALWAYS formidably creepy.
orig.jpg

Brian Nadeau is stunning us with his CNC folders. Me wants.
orig.jpg

Warren Osborne was here, but this is an oldie but goodie.
orig.jpg

A large International field, Josef Rusnak and his son Tomas made the trip
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Bill Tuch came out from Seattle with his clean work.
orig.jpg

...this folder won an award out West.
orig.jpg

Barry Lee Hands was here, and his impressive style is now legendary. As is Ron Lake's.
orig.jpg

Elizabeth Loerchner is making heads turn in every way!
orig.jpg

This was her drawing knife.
orig.jpg

Wolfe, her father, must be quite proud. :)
orig.jpg

Michael Walker could not make it. But this knife did.
orig.jpg

Thinking out of the box, is Mike Zscherny, who is making these jigged titanium 'slip tacs'. Smart move!
orig.jpg

More in a few days. I'm only just over halfway through. I also came home with 20 knives from other dealers.

It's a great show from our end. Kumbaya! :D

Jim & Susan

Nice photos and knives. I didn't see these at the show so this is a treat.

That Tore Fogarizzu double auto is absolutely insane! I also like the Lake and love Elizabeth's dagger (do you happen to know what the blue stonelike material is at the bottom?). Bill Tuch makes a clean knife, and this is the first time I have seen it with a handle inlay.

Great pics.
I touched every darn one of them that I could.
I remember I took a wrong turn when my wife and I arrived and we walked into your photo studio down the other hall.
Nice set up, Im like "honey that is the famous sharp by coop photographers" She just laughed at my corny passion.

Some really special pieces. Thanks so much for sharing those pictures here for us to see, Coop. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

wow!
thanks Jim :)

Great job as usual Coop. Glad you are able to show us all these great knives when we don't get to shows that have them to handle for whatever reason. Love the dagger folder by Liz and also the Wolfe folder.

I absolutely don't mean to down play the amazing knives in this thread, but I'm most excited about the brass and copper pens from Matt Martin. Mainly because I can afford them! Thanks you for the wonderful photos Coop. :)

Great photos of some extraordinary knives. Tore outdid himself, just look what he did with the screws on the top of that folder. That Muller is cool too.

Marcel

Nice pictures! ECCKS really amazed me this year, it was a huge improvement from last year.

(Not that last year was bad, this year was just really awesome)

It's always great to see your shots, Coop. Thanks for posting for all to see.

That Lake is the one I spoke at length with Barry about. Just exquisite...

That Auto by Tore is outrageous.

Thanks for your hard work, Jim. It always shows. Nice seeing you again.

Seth

Back