LA Police Gear TBFK in S35VN

Anyone seen these yet? This is a relatively new knife from LA Police Gear that is being made in China (Puts on flame suit...) from S35VN. I ordered one just to check it out, as the price is so low (Currently $42). Knife has 3D-Machined G10 Scales that are pretty nice, a ball-bearing pivot, and the aforementioned blade. I am impressed that they were able to put together such a nice ball-bearing flipper with a good steel for around $50. Opinions?

policestuff_2431_48838588

policestuff_2431_48698728

Last edited:
That was my guess initially, but I didn't think they used s35vn in their Chinese products. Of course since it's not branded maybe they did make it which would great.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

It looks good, but I don't dig tip down carry, wouldn't it be faster tip up for a police man?

Tip down is a bummer, but so far it hasn't been as big of an issue as I expected. As far as edge retention, it is behaving about like my Native 5 does. The knife opens as smooth as you would expect a ball-bearing pivot to open, and the lockup is right at 50%. I am pleased, and thought maybe others would like to see this newcomer as well. I would love to know who is making them for LAPP? Kizer, Reate?

Tip down is a bummer, but so far it hasn't been as big of an issue as I expected. As far as edge retention, it is behaving about like my Native 5 does. The knife opens as smooth as you would expect a ball-bearing pivot to open, and the lockup is right at 50%. I am pleased, and thought maybe others would like to see this newcomer as well. I would love to know who is making them for LAPP? Kizer, Reate?
Oh, you already got it? I'm really tempted, seems like a good knife you can throw in a glove box or something similar.

Oh, you already got it? I'm really tempted, seems like a good knife you can throw in a glove box or something similar.

I've had it for about a month. I've used it pretty heavily day to day and I can still slice phonebook paper with it. It's definitely behaving like s35vn, so I don't think anybody's going to have a problem or be too disappointed at least with that aspect of the knife.

Anyone seen these yet? This is a relatively new knife from LA Police Gear that is being made in China (Puts on flame suit...) from S35VN. I ordered one just to check it out, as the price is so low (Currently $42). Knife has 3D-Machined G10 Scales that are pretty nice, a ball-bearing pivot, and the aforementioned blade. I am impressed that they were able to put together such a nice ball-bearing flipper with a good steel for around $50. Opinions?

Please do not quote posts that violate rules. It just makes our jobs harder. Thanks. Link removed again.

policestuff_2431_48838588

policestuff_2431_48698728

Maybe other knives are overpriced ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about being overpriced... You can get a Blur with S30V and the Native 5 with S35VN for $75-85. I would bet the difference in price is down to the cheaper manufacturing cost in China. What I can say is that if you put a major maker's logo on this knife, you would not wonder if it was a counterfeit. The knife is built well, with nice G10 and good lock-up with fast deployment. It really is a perfect EDC beater. S35VN is a good do-anything steel, and I have been happy with it, especially for the cost. YMMV.

Based on some research I did today, looks like they subbed these out to a large maker in China and had between 600-1000pcs made. Once I get it apart and see what ball-bearing system it's using, maybe I can guess which maker. At any rate, really happy with the blade for the money, great beater with what is in my opinion a perfect edc steel. Beat on it pretty good today at work tearing down thick corrugated boxes, still slices phonebook relatively well.

Tip down has not been as big of a deal as I thought it would. I understand your decision, however. Maybe next batch they will do tip up and tip down?

Having been stabbed too many times by tip up only knives when they deploy in my pocket, I prefer tip down. I also enjoy seeing "expensive" feature like S35VN and ball bearing pivots at a semi-budget price. The deep clip also gets an A+. I may get one of these.

I have ordered 3 so far, and all are consistent in quality. Can't beat the price for sure, it's not my favorite knife, but it has become my favorite EDC for work use. I just can't see spending the same $$$ for a knife with AUS8 or 8Cr when you can get S35VN instead!

Considering China's reputation [ earned !] I would first wonder of the quality of HT of that normaly excellent steel !

It's been good so far in my use of about 1 month. Behaves similar to the Spyderco S35VN blades I have used. Would I pick it over a Manix 2 or PM2? Of course not! Over a Rat 1 or Tenacious? I would, as the difference in performance is noticeable for the same coin. I mainly hope that these lower cost Chinese-made knives in better steels will lead to lower pricing from preferred makers eventually. JMHO.

This is NOW only $34.99

How would you rate this knife with S35VN blade at this price?

I am astounded they are not selling better. The knife flips fantastically, the detent is great, it's ground even on the examples I have, has a deep carry clip, and 3d-machined G10 Scales. It's sharp out of the box, and the heat treat performs like my other S35VN knives from Spyderco. I am astounded with the kind of product coming out of China now. I believe the maker is CH Knives, and they use almost exclusively S35VN in their blades sold in-country. For $35, what do you have to lose?

Back