Label off old Plumb axe crate.

Found laying in an old house, I did not find the crate of axes. Don't know how old it is but the graphics look darn old. I put it in an old frame used for making contact negative prints....

18077213_1340157569408453_7913538216878945570_o.jpg

It looks like this could date back to 1919 or 1920, at the earliest.

Regarding the "advertised finish" mentioned on the label, Plumb started advertising to the consumer in April 1919, according to this source.

content

In 1922, Plumb was awarded a trademark for their red handles with black heads, "the distinctive finish which advertising has popularized", according to this source.

content

The same Plumb Hunters' Axes, No. HF 672, were mentioned in this list of prices from April, 1922:

content

Hardware Dealers' Magazine, Volume 57, 1922

Wow, axes were expensive in 1922, $18 for a Single Bit with a 2nd growth handle.

A different time and a different way of thinking, a guy would buy a good tool and take care of it and it would last forever. Now we buy crap, use it till it breaks, throw it away and buy more crap.

I was thinking the "Double Life" logo may have had use over the fewest number of years, I do not remember seeing it before. Basically this looks like a it is closer to being a hatchet than an axe.

I was thinking the "Double Life" logo may have had use over the fewest number of years, I do not remember seeing it before. Basically this looks like a it is closer to being a hatchet than an axe.
I can verify from 1918 to 1934 for the Double life advertising. I would not be at all surprised to learn it's broader than that. That is what usually happens when you really try to pin it down.

Back