[Laguiole] Are the pins on your Shepherd's Cross aligned?

Hi there,

Sorry to post again, (were post in replies, but this time wanted to start a post).
As I received my first Laguiole last week, at the very beginning, I was so exciting and satisfied of the feeling, the weight, the quality.
Until I noticed the pins on the cross are not horizontal aligned:
The last pin of the Shepherd's Cross' (on the right hand side) is not horizontal aligning with the rest 3 small pins on the left hand side, obviously.
Untitled.jpg

I checked some old posts in this forum and some sample images in Google Search, found most of them are aligned.
When I checked in Google Reviews, some are not aligned as well, but they are not as obvious as mine. (Though the manufacture said it's 100% handmade and there is imperfection as the craftsman's eye is not powerful as camera on my cell phone)

Just wanted to ask what's the situation on yours?
Please post some of yours if possible, thanks in advance.

Thanks.
D

Mine are a bit off, too, and it doesn't bother me at all. Your knife is very nice looking and you should keep it as a sign of hand craftsmanship. All sorts of stories you could tell about the meaning of the bend: That's the spot where Longinus speared Jesus, that's the pattern of the Southern Cross constellation, that's where the craftsman was distracted when his wife came in to say she was going into labor 😸. Use it in good health!

HegJOr7.jpeg

Zieg

Last edited:
I was in Rennes, France a couple years ago and went to the Laguiole shop. I was quite sure I would buy a really nice example as a souvenir. Each one that they had in stock had a fit and finish issue that I couldn't get past. A damascus one was very poorly centered and rubbing off the etch, etc. They even phoned another location and the guy there said that theirs had the same issues. As disappointing as it was, in the end I didn't buy anything. I didn't see any with the pins misaligned though.

Hi there,

Sorry to post again, (were post in replies, but this time wanted to start a post).
As I received my first Laguiole last week, at the very beginning, I was so exciting and satisfied of the feeling, the weight, the quality.
Until I noticed the pins on the cross are not horizontal aligned:
The last pin of the Shepherd's Cross' (on the right hand side) is not horizontal aligning with the rest 3 small pins on the left hand side, obviously.
Untitled.jpg

I checked some old posts in this forum and some sample images in Google Search, found most of them are aligned.
When I checked in Google Reviews, some are not aligned as well, but they are not as obvious as mine. (Though the manufacture said it's 100% handmade and there is imperfection as the craftsman's eye is not powerful as camera on my cell phone)

Just wanted to ask what's the situation on yours?
Please post some of yours if possible, thanks in advance.

Thanks.
D
You might also ask that this thread be moved to the traditional knife forum. It will get more views there and your questions will be answered more fully.

Zieg

Though the manufacture said it's 100% handmade and there is imperfection as the craftsman's eye is not powerful as camera on my cell phone
I'm not sure that's an acceptable response, in my opinion. Certainly not the end of the world though.
I have a Laguiole XS Guilloché that is perfect. Maybe the extra detailing also includes more attention to detail.
I'll report the thread, and see if it can get moved.
jUndFm1.jpg

dFkVPV0.jpg

I was in Rennes, France a couple years ago and went to the Laguiole shop. I was quite sure I would buy a really nice example as a souvenir. Each one that they had in stock had a fit and finish issue that I couldn't get past. A damascus one was very poorly centered and rubbing off the etch, etc. They even phoned another location and the guy there said that theirs had the same issues. As disappointing as it was, in the end I didn't buy anything. I didn't see any with the pins misaligned though.
Ordered near 200eur one from reputable French maker and the blade was so off center the actual edge hit the frame. The seller tried to tell that it’s part of the hand made charm but I returned it either way. Never again.

Mine are a bit off, too, but it doesn't bother me at all. Your knife is very nice looking and you should keep it as a sign of hand craftsmanship. All sorts of stories you could tell about the meaning of the bend: That's the spot where Longinus speared Jesus, that's the pattern of the Southern Cross constellation, that's where the craftsman was distracted when his wife came in to say she was going into labor 😸. Use it in good health!

HegJOr7.jpeg

Zieg
buddy, I really appreciate your words.
you know this "issue" has been bothering me in the past days, though I know it's handmade, but I believe there shall be quality control. Of course, we can say it's definitely not a quality issue, but everytime when I recall it's over 90 EUR more than e.g. Forge De Laguiole, I felt not happy.

But your words make me feel much better.

Thank you again buddy.🤜🤛

As one of the Google review said, if s/he saw a knife in shop, s/he won't buy it. but thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure that's an acceptable response, in my opinion. Certainly not the end of the world though.
I have a Laguiole XS Guilloché that is perfect. Maybe the extra detailing also includes more attention to detail.
I'll report the thread, and see if it can get moved.
jUndFm1.jpg

dFkVPV0.jpg

yours is almost 100% perfect.
here's mine if zoom a bit.
😅
Untitled.jpg

Thank you

Last edited:
Ordered near 200eur one from reputable French maker and the blade was so off center the actual edge hit the frame. The seller tried to tell that it’s part of the hand made charm but I returned it either way. Never again.
your experience is so similar to the one I saw in Google Review. 😂

'm not sure that's an acceptable response, in my opinion. Certainly not the end of the world though.

But seems there is nothing I can do. By receiving the reply from manufacture, IMO, seems it's tend to be refused to get return and refund from them. :confused:

By the way buddy, then how did you make them accept your return and get refund?
When I receive the reply from them said "there is imperfection....because of 100% handmade", seems they won't accept my return due to this reason.

The edge hit frame is a big problem since it will damage the edge and impact usage, but the mis-alignment does not impact usage.

buddy, I really appreciate your words.
you know this "issue" has been bothering me in the past days, though I know it's handmade, but I believe there shall be quality control. Of course, we can say it's definitely not a quality issue, but everytime when I recall it's over 90 EUR more than e.g. Forge De Laguiole, I felt not happy.

But your words make me feel much better.

Thank you again buddy.🤜🤛
Quality is not perfection or even symmetry. I work with a woman whose facial scar accentuates her innate facial beauty. Your crooked cross shows it was made by a human. Maybe it was done on purpose :)

Too many on this forum believe perfection is the goal. We’ve all met ugly people who were physically a #10.

Quality is not perfection or even symmetry. I work with a woman whose facial scar accentuates her innate facial beauty. Your crooked cross shows it was made by a human. Maybe it was done on purpose :)

Too many on this forum believe perfection is the goal. We’ve all met ugly people who were physically a #10.
To some degree yes, but it's a product for sell which the manufacture wants to represents the reputation of France knife history and 100% handmad, and it's 90EUR more expensive than other.
Man makes mistake (sure it's not mistake), so I just though, the quality control shall be better.

If it was done on purpose, emm, i didn't get point what purpose can lead to the mis-aligned Cross🤣

Last edited:
By the way buddy, then how did you make them accept your return and get refund?
When I receive the reply from them said "there is imperfection....because of 100% handmade", seems they won't accept my return due to this reason.

The edge hit frame is a big problem since it will damage the edge and impact usage, but the mis-alignment does not impact usage.
I returned mine to knife retailer where you can return even if you just want to.

It might be misaligned due to some flaw in the scales- potential crack happening.

Thing is this, are you buying the knife simply to look at it ? Because when you hold it to cut something you certainly can't be concerned by misaligned decorative pins...I clearly understand if there is a flaw that impacts on the use & handling e.g. a raised spring interfering with grip, blade-play, loose or badly radiused scales etc, but this? I do sympathise with your annoyance at being fobbed off with the lazy crap about "it's part of the charm of traditional- (shoddy finish) " The dealer SHOULD have refunded your money if you were disatisfied from the start. Are you in the EU, did you buy it there? If so, EU law states you should be getting a refund, overseas buyers no so sure- but if you've not sharpened the knife or used it, it should be clear you get a refund- postage your cost though.

As for my Lags, production & Custom, most don't have the Shepherd's Cross, they have other pin decorations, 2 Fontenille-Pataud have the Cross, one is maybe a bit bent but the thick scales and heavy radiusing of a Lag's handles can give a distortion...but I'm not bothered. End of the day doesn't concern me but I do feel you should've been able to return an unused knife WHATEVER the reason.

Regards, Will

It might be misaligned due to some flaw in the scales- potential crack happening.

Thing is this, are you buying the knife simply to look at it ? Because when you hold it to cut something you certainly can't be concerned by misaligned decorative pins...I clearly understand if there is a flaw that impacts on the use & handling e.g. a raised spring interfering with grip, blade-play, loose or badly radiused scales etc, but this? I do sympathise with your annoyance at being fobbed off with the lazy crap about "it's part of the charm of traditional- (shoddy finish) " The dealer SHOULD have refunded your money if you were disatisfied from the start. Are you in the EU, did you buy it there? If so, EU law states you should be getting a refund, overseas buyers no so sure- but if you've not sharpened the knife or used it, it should be clear you get a refund- postage your cost though.

As for my Lags, production & Custom, most don't have the Shepherd's Cross, they have other pin decorations, 2 Fontenille-Pataud have the Cross, one is maybe a bit bent but the thick scales and heavy radiusing of a Lag's handles can give a distortion...but I'm not bothered. End of the day doesn't concern me but I do feel you should've been able to return an unused knife WHATEVER the reason.

Regards, Will

really appreciate your reply.
I purchase it not for looking but for collecting, so not for real everyday use as well, that's why from the day I noticed it, I feel bothered more and more
I am not in EU and placed order online through Fontenille Pataud's website, when I received the email notification told me my order is in process and they are only work to order, I was so exciting, even on the day I received it, I give a 5 star in the review...and at the beginning, I didn't feel so bothered about the mis-alignment, until I see other pictures online and noticed it's more expensive than other brands.

Yes, I also agree with you maybe because of some impact on the material on the handle so that a pin cannot be placed aligning with the rest, but if it's a EUR238 Laguiole, if I were the manufacture and noticed the mis-aligning pin is so obvious, I will replace another handle but not just make it stay there.

I never used it since I just want to have it for collection, but I am not sure if return it or not: need to pay another 30EUR for the delivery (I've paid about 30EUR for receiving by DHL and 50EUR for clearance:confused:), so even I can get refund of the EUR238, I spent (will spend) 30+30+50EUR.

Anyway, thank you again for this very helpful reply, will consider and make decision. If I keep it, will just for a lesson to myself.

By the way, I more and more agree with your option about the manufacture's reply. (at the beginning I believed it's some prove of 100% handmade, now I aware that handmade does not equal to defect though they call it "imperfection", even happened in a so famous manufacture, if they care about the reputation)
Have a good day.

Last edited:
Back