LARGE Wire Jack, Geo Schrade, pat '42

8.5 inches overall open and 4.15 ounces = one hand filling heavy wire-handled folder from outta the past. The blade is mirror polished and the big tang has a curved choil-like place on the tang for a finger (enables better control of the point for fine work with this big knife). The fish scaler blade has a sinister look to it (when close it looks like a crouched predator to my eye). The cutting edge looks and feels factory fresh sharp and pointy.

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack047.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack053.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack037.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack023.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack014.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack030.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack034.jpg

10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack021.jpg

Last edited:
10-12-201285inchGeoSchradeWireJack004.jpg

The red finger guard, inserted into the handle, has some special features that the smaller Wire Jack guards don't have: Two nubs protruding from the bottom of the guard which dovetail into two nub receiver beds in the interior of the handle. In spite of this extra measure the fit is problematic/insecure. The flex and snap (from opening and closing the blade) are awesome forces torqueing and shocking this king-size knife in ways that the small jacks don't experience.

Thank you for looking.

Last edited:
Great pics Oregon, I never really had a good look at one of those guys.

FYI the choil is the little notch right below the blade edge, the part of the tang you're referring to is simply the "tang front"

Eric

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words Eric. My pleasure.

Who made this knife?

One of you, perhaps:

10-13-2012WireJackworkersfactory001.jpg

Actually I believe that's a shot of the old Ulster plant in Ellenville, NY. The George Schrade knives were made out in Bridgeport, Conn., at the time the wire jacks were made he was completely seperated from Schrade Cut. Co.

Eric

William Schrade's book is on its way to me. Perhaps I will see a photo of George Schrade, the workers and the factory in the book.

That group of workers is my screen background. It fascinates and haunts me at the same time.

Here is a size comparison pic: Scout Wire Jack v Large hunting/fishing Wire Jack:'

10-13-2012sizecomparisonscoutvlargwirejack008.jpg

Outstanding post Irv. Thank you.

The whole operation is much larger than I thought. There are more employees, machines and rooms. Everybody isn't crowded into one room as the photo I use for a screen background seems to indicate.

Compare Hunting & Fishing blades: Marlin/Moose v Large Wire Jack:

Moose & Marlin is 2.39 ounces and 8 1/8 inches overall open (not counting lanyard loop)

Large Wire Jack is 4.15 ounces and 8.5 inches overall open

10-13-2012compareHuntingandFishingfolders006.jpg

10-13-2012compareHuntingandFishingfolders012.jpg

10-13-2012compareHuntingandFishingfolders003.jpg

10-13-2012huntingfishingbladecomparison022.jpg

Last edited:
William Schrade's book is on its way to me. Perhaps I will see a photo of George Schrade, the workers and the factory in the book.

That group of workers is my screen background. It fascinates and haunts me at the same time.

Here is a size comparison pic: Scout Wire Jack v Large hunting/fishing Wire Jack:'

10-13-2012sizecomparisonscoutvlargwirejack008.jpg

Hi Oregon, I'm curious where you are getting the book from. I've heard there are bad copies of the book going around.

OK William. Of course.

You email is not enabled so I left a visitor message for you. I don't want to run afoul of deal spotting prohibition.

The book is awaiting me at my Post Office Box per delivery confirmation info. I'll pick it up in the morning. If there is anything I can do to be of service please don't hesitate to give me a ping. My email is on my page (just click your mouse on my moniker "oregon" in the upper left of this page).

Last edited:
NIKOKNIFE48, please tell me that that is the full size spearpoint. I was beginning to think it didn't exist. If it is I have only seen in catalog pics before. Could you give us the size and more pics to drool on? thanks, randy/rtmind.:)

Great tread thanks for sharing ! Here's one I just acquired.

Great find niko! And, it came with the fingerguard. Well done.

What a great thread!

George Schrade was a genius and these Wire Jacks are big fun for me. He invented the switchblade!

NIKOKNIFE48, please tell me that that is the full size spearpoint. I was beginning to think it didn't exist. If it is I have only seen in catalog pics before. Could you give us the size and more pics to drool on? thanks, randy/rtmind.:)

Please pardon me niko, yes rtmind that is the large heavy duty full size spearpoint. Good spot. I have a story/tip for you so I will send you email as it is Seattle specific (collector source info Geo. Schrade) if you would please enable your email or send me email or private message. Here are a few pics of some of my Wire Jacks for your amusement:

Notice that the middle knife, large clip point, has a slightly thinner more elegant slicer blade than the three heavy duty utility blades.

These three are the large heavy duty (thicker blades) utility knives: Fishing, hawkbill and spearpoint.

The axe is heavy, thick, formidable and probably a better promo than a chopper. Schrade would acid etch your business name and particulars on the blade at your request. The spearpoint has etched "THE OSBORNE COMPANY NO. 700-1125"

Last edited:
Hello Oregon,

I've never seen a hatchet blade before. Is that a one and only or are you aware of others?
There is nothing in the catalogs or advertising clips I have. If it wasn't for the tang stamp I would think it was counterfeit.

Hello Oregon,

I've never seen a hatchet blade before. Is that a one and only or are you aware of others?
There is nothing in the catalogs or advertising clips I have. If it wasn't for the tang stamp I would think it was counterfeit.

Hello Bill,

Good to hear from you. There is one other that I have direct personal knowledge and an image of. I have not seen it in person yet but hope to in the future. I have met the owner in person, had substantial conversation and exchanged emails. You may know or have heard of him. He is an author, collector and works in the industry. I will email him your contact information. His axe has acid etched onto the blade " CHOP-CHOP KNIFE" as I recall. I will look for the image. He didn't believe my axe until he saw the tang stamp either.

Last edited:
Back