Leatherman Arc/Free Design Flaw ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Or is it a quality control issue? And no, this is not about the wire cutters.

So this interesting video showed up, and at the time I am posting this topic, the video only has a little under 400 views. I have to commend the guy who posted it for doing a great job of getting an extended close-up view of the issue.

What appears to be going on is the portion of the frame of the Arc which engages with the back of the pliers when you open them has been worn down from repeated opening and closing of the multitool. The frame itself appears to be too soft to withstand the friction of the pliers rubbing against it when you open them, so over time the frame has been ground down and the pliers no longer stay locked open as firmly as they used to.

If my description of the issue isn't good enough, have a look for yourself:

As you can see, there are even metal shavings that have collected from when they were ground off of the frame by opening and closing the pliers.

Now the question is, is this a quality control issue? Or is this a design flaw which only shows up from extended use or excessive repeated opening and closing of the pliers over a relatively short period of time? I can see arguments coming down on both sides. For example if I were to sit there and just open and close the pliers all day because I'm using the Arc like a fidget tool, then that mechanism would get worn down quicker than if I was just using the tool to do the occasional task on a job or around the house. But how quickly would that happen exactly?

I have questions. Is the frame supposed to be heat treated, and would that heat treat stop this kind of thing from happening as rapidly? If this is a QC issue, then over the long term how long would it take for this to happen normally if QC wasn't a contributing factor?

Keep in mind, while warranty should and does cover things like this, it still costs money to ship your tool back to Leatherman, and during the time it takes to arrive and be serviced and sent back, you don't have your Arc for which you paid 230 usd or more depending on where you live.

On a personal note, what also bothers me is how small the portion of the frame is that engages the pliers. I think this could have been made more substantial and probably should have been.

What do you think? This is the first time that I have seen anything like this, but the Arc has only been out for a relatively short period of time. The Free series that it's based on has been out for several years, and I am not aware of similar issues showing up. Maybe it has but it didn't get any attention. Like with the wire cutters having been redesigned for a few years now, but nobody really noticed it until the Arc came out. I think it's possible that because of the hype around the Arc and it's high price tag, things like this are likely to get more attention than they otherwise would have.

So is this a QC issue or is it a design flaw, or perhaps a little bit of both? I am very curious to hear other people's opinions about this.

JFC YouTubers love the dramatic video titles, don't they? Of course when you crave attention and need the validation of others to justify your existence that's what you've got to do.

I owned a Free P2 for two years, and I spent a lot of time standing around bored flipping that thing open and closed. I don't know that I saw the first bit of wear in that area. It could be a bad heat treat in the handle, or maybe the bushing isn't flexing enough, causing it to grind against that nub during opening and closing.

JFC YouTubers love the dramatic video titles, don't they? Of course when you crave attention and need the validation of others to justify your existence that's what you've got to do.

There's no clickbait here. Anyone who takes a few minutes to watch the video can see that there is a genuine problem on display. It's very obvious from the footage, which is crisp, clear, and thorough.

Anyway, what's a "JFC youtuber"?

JFC is "Jesus F&ckin Christ". And I guess I was reading your post while watching the video when I typed my response.
Unless Leatherman is using inferior metal for the handles, no, I don't see it as a design flaw.

Last edited:
Unless Leatherman is using inferior metal for the handles, no, I don't see it as a design flaw.

Maybe they are, but do you really think they would cheap out on the frame like that? If it's a QC issue then I would guess that maybe the frame is supposed to be heat treated and they did a bad heat treat or something, or maybe it wasn't heat treated at all? Would a heat treat stop that kind of rapid wear from happening?

That's what I'm trying to figure out here: is this a design flaw or a QC issue? It hadn't occurred to me that they may have switched to an inferior metal for the frame. You're saying that's a design issue, but I think it would fall under QC or perhaps R&D?

I do still think the part that locks the pliers in place should be beefier than it is though. To me that's a design issue.

I'm not saying it's a design issue. It's a QC issue, or a manufacturing issue. If the steel of the handles wasn't properly hardened, I could see it wearing much faster than it should. I don't think Leatherman would purposely use a cheaper or inferior material, but shit happens. Sometimes a bad heat treat gets through.

Unlike most YouTubers and reviewers that just play with their tools for their cameras, I used a Free P2 daily for work for at least two years. I never saw any wear on those locking surfaces. They locked as tight as the day I first got them.

I use my arc all the time. It's perfectly fine. Lol this guy mcver dude cracks me up. The sky is always falling for leatherman 🤣

The sensationalism of youtube sure does draw some folks in. It's almost like confirmation bias?

He says the tool is unusable, is that so? None of the other leatherman I have will spread material apart with the plier head. All the handles close when pushed away from one another. Does that guys multi tool have an issue gripping anything? Claiming it's unusable is simply an exaggeration/lie. The mechanism that grips and allows the pliers to be used as pliers... is 100% functional.

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow. I've played with mine a fair bit and had it out using it again today. Worked 100% fine.

🙄

I use my arc all the time. It's perfectly fine. Lol this guy mcver dude cracks me up. The sky is always falling for leatherman 🤣

The sensationalism of youtube sure does draw some folks in. It's almost like confirmation bias?

1. no need for personal attacks.

2. it seems like you probably posted this before actually watching the video. Sort of like the comment that you left a like for... which also seems to have been posted before watching. You appear to have a very strong bias which is causing you to overreact and pre-judge.

He says the tool is unusable, is that so? None of the other leatherman I have will spread material apart with the plier head. All the handles close when pushed away from one another. Does that guys multi tool have an issue gripping anything? Claiming it's unusable is simply an exaggeration/lie. The mechanism that grips and allows the pliers to be used as pliers... is 100% functional.

You can see from the video that there are literally metal shavings coming off of the frame. That shouldn't happen. Ever. According to the guy who filmed it, Leatherman agreed that this is a problem and they have stated that they will cover it under warranty.

If you've used wire cutters often enough, you'd know that when you cut down into a thick wire, sometimes the pliers will get stuck and you will have to sort of force them back open. If the pliers aren't firmly locked into place then what happens is that one or both of the handles flop out and the pliers remain closed. This is the handle basically disengaging from the pliers. It shouldn't ever happen unless the mechanism that locks the pliers to the handle is too weak or it has been worn down so that it no longer functions properly, as is the case here.

Last edited:
Do you have a leatherman arc? I do. I use it all the time. Zero problems and I have the pics to prove it. What do you have? Some random youtube video? How do you know he didn't incessantly wear that out by applying years of wear in a short period of time? You don't.

How do you know he didn't dremel it? You don't. I don't know if he did or didn't dremel it. I don't know what he considers a lot of "playing", how many thousands of openings does he consider a lot? 5k? 10k?

I cut stuff with my inserts regularly never had an issue. So... which one of us has real world experience and which one of us doesn't? 🤔 🤣
1. no need for personal attacks.

2. it seems like you probably posted this before actually watching the video.

You can see from the video that there are literally metal shavings coming off of the frame.

If you've used wire cutters often enough, you'd know that when you cut down into a thick wire, sometimes the pliers will get stuck and you will have to sort of force them back open. If the pliers aren't firmly locked into place then what happens is that one or both of the handles flop out. This is the handle basically disengaging from the pliers. It shouldn't ever happen.

Do you have a leatherman arc? I do. I use it all the time. Zero problems and I have the pics to prove it. What do you have? Some random youtube video? How do you know he didn't incessantly wear that out by applying years of wear in a short period of time? You don't.

How do you know he didn't dremel it? You don't. I don't know if he did or didn't dremel it. I don't know what he considers a lot of "playing", how many thousands of openings does he consider a lot? 5k? 10k?

I cut stuff with my inserts regularly never had an issue. So... which one of us has real world experience and which one of us doesn't? 🤔 🤣

I don't even know how to respond to this.

Umm, I'm just going to put you in the "this is just a quality control issue" category and call it good.

So we'll say that's two votes for quality control, and zero votes for "it's a design flaw". đź‘Ť

Insulting or Rude behavior
So you don't own one? Got it. Keep watching YouTube for leatherman failures, never know when you'll stumble upon a serious issue. Rolls eyes.

You made the same sky is falling dramatic posts about the inserts. Whoop-ee leatherman sent people new inserts. I threw damascus ones in mine and never cared. Idk why you have a bone to pick with leatherman but just in case others read this I'll link to his past dramatic posts involving the arc inserts if need be, just ask.

Whole lot of huff and puff for a tool you don't even own. The arc is spendy, but a good tool, I know... I own and use one.

So you don't own one? Got it. Keep watching YouTube for leatherman failures, never know when you'll stumble upon a serious issue. Rolls eyes.

You made the same sky is falling dramatic posts about the inserts. Whoop-ee leatherman sent people new inserts. I threw damascus ones in mine and never cared. Idk why you have a bone to pick with leatherman but just in case others read this I'll link to his past dramatic posts involving the arc inserts if need be, just ask.

Whole lot of huff and puff for a tool you don't even own. The arc is spendy, but a good tool, I know... I own and use one.

I've noticed that, as well.

Mine works fine, and I'm still using the original cutters.

I never go into the SAK threads and whine about stuff.

It's a pattern and agreed. So 2 people who actually own leatherman arcs and use them sharing their experience đź‘Ť

Heck yea. I started the Arc thread!

gFTdBvE.jpg

Here's my arc and a pic of the exact "design flaw" plaguing the leatherman arcs 🙄

Notice mine are 100% without issue.

20240222_083754.jpg

20240222_083807.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back