Leatherman Wingman - mini review

Just picked one of these bad boys up for a whopping $16 brand new! Couldn't pass up the chance to get my second Leatherman.

My first Leatherman was the Style CS that I bought a couple weeks ago. For a keychain knife its quality surprised me, and it definitely has gotten a lot of use. I got an email from the store I work for saying they were giving me some free rewards points for a couple days, so I jumped and bought the Wingman so I could really get a feel for Leatherman. I now know why people make fun of Gerber MTs! I've had a standard slide-out Gerber (not sure of the model) since I was 12 or so and never really liked it. This Wingman is GREAT though.

The thing that gets me about Leatherman is the little details. The spring assist design for the scissors is genius, as it is on the Style CS. It's minimalistic, but it's flawless. I love how the lock engages it, so it folds away nice and easy. The small designs on the Philips screwdriver make it look nice, and the liner-lock, outside-opening, knife makes this tool something I could use as an EDC - Not to mention the razor-sharp serrations! The package opener is great too, something that I'm sure will get good use as time goes on. The sturdy slipjoint-esque locking mechanism used for the inner tools is another great feature. When you need your screwdriver, you don't have to worry about it folding in if you apply pressure on the wrong spot (as was the case with my Gerber). The pocket clip is also a nice touch. It's easy on the pocket, and removable for those that don't like it.

My only gripes are small ones. I don't have a use for a metal file. This, obviously, is personal. But it doesn't seem like a practical tool for a multi-tool. On top of that, the ruler isn't numbered, nor are the markings clearly defined to show where an "inch" actually starts and ends (If someone isn't aware that the markings are quarter-inches it could be a very useless tool to have). They could have easily made the lines a couple millimeters longer, or labeled it some other way. Next, I'm a lefty, and the knife is extremely awkward to open left-handed. Right handed is a breeze though, so I can't complain too much as I AM a minority ;). The last little thing is the way they 'stamped' "Leatherman Wingman" onto the handle. It looks cheap, and a simple laser-etch or engraving would have added some class to it.

In conclusion, this is a great knife, and a great tool. My small gripes could easily be something others look for and/or enjoy. As far as design, fit and finish, and overall usability I'd give the Leatherman Wingman high grades. This is my go-to multi-tool now, and I will also be EDCing it for awhile to break it in and see if it might take away the urge for me to buy more knives ;)

I'd suggest to anyone who's interested in the Wingman to go ahead and give it a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed!

EDIT: Gotta share this find with you guys! Hopefully you'll see it before it's fixed (as I emailed them about it), but take a look at Sears' "Product Description" of the Leatherman Wingman:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6587980802P

(I did screencap it for anyone who's too late or can't access the site. Will upload if need-be)

Last edited:
Let us know how you feel after using it a little while. I got one last week and it seems like it is a usable design, time will tell. I think I prefer my old Gerber. I do like the Wingman but to get rid of blade play I had to tighten things down to where they are now hard to open.

jwh

Mine has a very small amount of blade play side-to-side, but virtually none up and down. This may say something about their quality control, but I'm okay with it - especially for $16 ;)

I have had my Wingman for over a month and use it about ten times a day. I really like the spring loaded pliers too! Also, the package opener seemed gimmicky until I used it! Man that thing goes right through the toughest plastic clamshell like butter and way safer than a knife.

My blade has no play but I didn't buy it for a great blade. Really the partial serrations and the geometry aren't what I would call a real slicer! Get a separate single blade you enjoy or a SAK if you are looking for slicing pleasure.

I love the pocket clip and it's light (comparative) weight. It's a great value!!

My assumption is eventually I'll end up leaving it in my car or something and EDCing a Griptilian when I get around to buying one. To me I really only need scissors and a knife on a day-to-day basis and my Style CS has better scissors than the Wingman does.

However, I do really like the Wingman, so maybe it'll stay in the rotation anyways...

I love the pocket clip and it's light (comparative) weight. It's a great value!!

What would you compare it to if I can ask? I've been looking into leatherman and like the access to tools when it's closed idea of the new leathermans and the pocket clips but that does't come in pocket sized category. I'm not so worried about the weight as the general size, I suck at visualizing things from dimensions, :)

Thanks for post the review Shawn, it helped narrow down my search I think.

The size, closed, is 9.5cm long, 3.5cm wide, and about 1.5cm thick. Open, from handle to opposite wrench claw, is around 16cm. Sorry I only have a metric ruler laying around :D - You can do conversions by typing "9.5cm to inches" etc in Google. To get an idea you can always draw it out on paper using those dimensions.
The blade is 6.2cm, the plain edge only being 3.35cm long though.
It's definitely pocketable, but it's a bit heavy for me, weighing in at something like 7.5 ounces. So drink about 1/4 of a can of pop/beer (a 16oz one) and that's about what it weighs.

Hope I helped

thats great, thanks, I'm worried about the weight, it's not "heavy" but i don't want it to bug me, like a folder can be forgotten about until needed.

The weight did kind of annoy me, and as said in the other thread, I stopped using the Wingman as an EDC. I now carry two folders that weigh in at less than just the Wingman itself. I do wear jogging pants quite often as I'm into parkour (Adidas with the white stripes kind of pants, not sweats lol) and the Wingman noticeably weighed them down and I had to either tie them or hike them up a lot.

When wearing jeans/khakis etc at work I usually kept my Wingman clipped to my back right pocket along with my wallet and I did forget that it was there quite a bit, only to be reminded of it when I felt/heard the clip hit whatever I sat on, so it's possible you could carry without issue.

I definitely will carry this knife if I know I'll be needing its help, but for now I don't have enough use for the extra tools to justify it.

I wear jeans mostly and short if i got to (the kid that take a belt) so I do't think it'd pull it down, just seen a few warning threads where guys who do't carry MT's like me say how heavy they re, of course for the price of a wingman it's worth giving it a go anyway, actually found juice c2 for a steal price so I'm going to give that a shot first though.

Thanks for all the great input bud, it's helped lot.

The only thing that really bothers me about the Wingman/Sidekick pair is that they could have made the blade about a half inch longer, but instead elected to make it the same size as the scissors/saw on the other handle. That extra length would have made these perfect, but they're still great tools and bargain priced to boot.

wingman is pretty decent for the price but has a few shortcomings:

1) slot screwdriver isn't thin enough. easy fix, just grind

2) philips is too wide, will ream out a hole with recessed screws LOL. again easy to fix

3) main blade is too small. there's certainly enough room in there to fit a bigger blade

my sample has excellent blade lockup

I dont know if anyone here has seen this so Ill post it. I know there would probably be a huge price difference but if they were made like this one I would want one even more than I want a wingman.

http://youtu.be/NoT6XY4hPbE

Back