Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

So yesterday I was seeking information on this Winchester Scout (sorry about pic, doesn't show the pretty bone, but my light box is back in California), but could only find threads on "Scout" knives from 2011 and 2014 and earlier. Today I decided to jump in on the most recent in hopes somebody might see it. And then I found this current thread. Interesting that in one of those early threads Codger pointed out that the BSA had sued Camillus (I think) over marking anything but Official Boy Scout knives as "Scout." Camillus lost and even cut the word "scout" out of their catalog masters. The thread settled on referring to these as scout-type. This Winchester is marked SCOUT, but I think they had long since stopped making folders by the time of the suit. I was hoping someone might know the age/progression of this knife. Voyles shows three Winchester "Scout" knives, two 3-5/8 inchers, one 3-1/2. None have this Scout marked propellor shield, and while two have the blade-type can opener, the cap lifter is on the screwdriver. And those can openers have the folded tab type of can guide, whereas this one has a round stud and the cap lifter. Does anyone know which is older, or anything else about this particular knife? My true Scout and non-scout scout knives to follow.

iSGxGMk.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a good one. Someone more knowledgeable than I may be able to date it by the can opener.

Last edited:
I have some 30 all-metal U.S. Military utility knives, mostly Camillus, but a couple Kingstons, a Queen, Imperial, Schrade, and one not marked on handle, but USA on main tang with brass liners like the Kingstons? And I have a dozen or so MacGyver knives (aka Swiss Army), but those two types of scout-type, IMHO, don't really fall into the subject category, so I'll save them for another day.

Here are my Official Scouts: first column, last USA Camillus Delrin, Camillus coke bottle "whittler" hard black (?), Camillus 3-blade Cub, Imperial Cub, Imperial plastic, and a vintage LF&C; second column, Kutmaster Girl Scout, Utica 2-blade Girl Featherweight, older Ulster bone, newer Ulster bone, and three Delrin Ulsters.
acsueFW.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my non-Official Scouts: first column, Camillus (on shield) bone, Camillus cell or hard black, smaller Powercraft (Montgomery Ward, probably Camillus?), smaller Ulster bone; second column, Hammer Brand with real bolsters, Imperial DE clam cell, Hammer clam cell, and an old multi Hen & Rooster in buffalo horn. Bottom is a model 7593 blade marked Heinr. Boker & Co./Baumwerks Solingen/Germany Alemania.

P3frc5W.jpg

Nice Shot SAK guy of some nice Knives! - the Scout on the Right is that a Sears?( Camillus made).

swaybacksteve - thats one hang of a nice looking Knife! great Steel Great Bone- Whew!

wazu my friend - great knives your putting up as well - the Camp king...is that their Black Composite that theu used- or is this one a Dark Bone?
That Boker- Like OE and others have said- a Beauty for sure, seeing this knife makes me think of something - and please Wazu this is NOT saying about your knife- but General comment......
Stag - one of my all time favourites- in the early Sheffield and Solingen days the skill of the Cutlers were such that they used ( in most cases ) they used the slimmest pieces of stag- to save having to shave of Bark to meet the Bolsters- sometimes the Bark has been so thin- Wow!
I wonder why- and in this case I am talking about Wazu's awesome Stag Boker- why didnt they shave the Stag from the under neath and make the Stag a slimmer fit and save more Bark? I hope I am making sense and most of all I hope my comments dont come across as detremental to Wazu's lovely Boker- becaue I am telling you if I saw that Knife I too would have snatched it up very quickly!:thumbsup:

Thx Duncan!!! :thumbsup: Yes it's a Craftsman, with the "crown" shield but from what I read in one of Codgers posts, I think it's Ulster made. Like an Ulster 114. I could be completely wrong.

Ok...cool thank you SAK guy - If anyone would know Michael ( Codger) would! And it makes perfect sense as there are PLENTY of Ulster Scouts out there- and funnily enough- I compared a few Camillus Scouts of mine to an Ulster scout of mine- they are absolutely identical in every way - which leaves me thinking Camillus made these for Ulster as welll- which of course Camillus did a lot of contract knife making for nearly all other Cutler firms, I am lucky enough to own a Peach-seed Cattle Knife that is stamped Ulster- but its highly likely Schrade made for Ulster.
the only differencE is that the Left hand and later modeled knife on the right has an extra ( 5th ) tool added which is the Phillips screwdriver you see.

Pictured below on the left the two Camillus Scouts on the right an Ulster stamped knife....

Back