Let's see your yard sale/flea market finds

Thought this would make a good thread. Show everyone the great deals you can get at yard sales, flea markets and junk shops.

Here are four of the many I pick up for next to nothing.
The axe on the right is a marked Walters, a Canadian made axe, pretty rounded but just took down a 1 foot diameter Black Cherry, very convex everywhere. a good chopper and splitter. $5.00
The axe on the left is my favourite axe for felling, very balanced and wicked sharp. Convex shape but fairly minor. Have no idea who made it. $5.00
The still rusty hatchet on the left is a Canadian made Black Prince, pretty full but some deep rust. Check out the heat treat line in the picture. $2.00
The other hatchet is Swedish, 800 gram made by DANKRE. I bought it and an early trade knife that I sold for $150.00 so the is profit ;-))

Keep on yard saleing:D

Best regards

Robin

5765591251_6c514a9797.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
5766142626_13eda11c85.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Awesome! This should be a sticky!

Here's my WIP Gransfors Bruks double bit 3.5lb. Big community yard sale $12

P1040733.JPG

P1040711.JPG

Was like this:

P1040596.JPG

Also picked up this 6lb Council for $5. It's in great shape, very full...and heavy. The handle is warped worse than I've ever seen.

P1040599.JPG

Edited to fix picture link.

Wifey wants us to hit the local flea market tomorrow (gotta do it to play paintball on Sunday). Lets see if I find anything noteworthy...

Hey M3mphis that double bit came out looking great, a hell of a find my friend.

Regards

Robin

Thanks, Robin. I wanted to make it a bit unique. The handle reminds me of a coral snake. :) I need to polish up the head a bit more and work on the bevels a little.

I haven't had time to get photos but I have picked up quite a few axes for $5 or less in the last month, plus a few special pieces that I paid more for. yard sales and antique malls. I have handles but no free time yet.

Thanks, Robin. I wanted to make it a bit unique. The handle reminds me of a coral snake. :) I need to polish up the head a bit more and work on the bevels a little.

That's a beautiful handle. How do you get that effect?

Good finds, people. Brings out the competitive edge in me. Up here in the pacific northwest should be plenty of lumber tools around I'll see how I can compete with the nice axes found so far.

That's a beautiful handle. How do you get that effect?

Fire! I laid it across a camp stove and scorched it. I put it right on the burner. You'll notice the circular shapes to the burns. Thanks for the kind words. Oh, I did a couple other things. First, I rubbed it down with damp, used coffee grinds. That darkened the porous places in the grain (not sure how permanent that will be). Then I did the burns, then I used a stain.

Thanks, Matt.

Last edited:
There was a small town about 20 miles away from me that was doing a city wide garage sale, they had a list of about 30, plus there were some not on the list. Got I got up early and went... I spent $1 on a toy for my nephew and another on 2 cinnamon rolls, that it all. What an unbelievable failure. over half had Christmas decorations. otherwise mostly kids clothes. 20% were so small it would all fit in 2 trash cans (which is where it belonged).

I didn't come to complain, only point out that it's not automatic to find stuff. a couple weeks ago I hauled 5 decent axes at $5 each from the same place. So you have to cover some territory to make the finds.

pipeman and memphis, those are some nice finds.
memphis; that GB is absolutly beautiful. nice work!!!
pipeman; that DANKRE is beautiful as well. i'll have to keep my eye out for one of those...
keep em' coming guys.

Hey Bearman. The little Dankre is very nice, hope to have it hafted in the next week or so. The mark is badly struck so all that shows is NKRE which when I got it sent my mind off into wonderland. ;-)) It was found in Edmonton which was the starting place for the North Klondike River Expedition ;-))) But none the less, it's a great hatchet;-))

Best regards

Robin

I'm pretty sure that Goodwill doesn't sell anything sharp, at least up here in Canada. Up here in the boonies the local Goodwill type shop (church run) used to throw out all the sharp knives that were donated, now they save them for me in the back room.;-) Think it's a liability thing.

Regards

Robin

There was a small town about 20 miles away from me that was doing a city wide garage sale, they had a list of about 30, plus there were some not on the list. Got I got up early and went... I spent $1 on a toy for my nephew and another on 2 cinnamon rolls, that it all. What an unbelievable failure. over half had Christmas decorations. otherwise mostly kids clothes. 20% were so small it would all fit in 2 trash cans (which is where it belonged).

I didn't come to complain, only point out that it's not automatic to find stuff. a couple weeks ago I hauled 5 decent axes at $5 each from the same place. So you have to cover some territory to make the finds.

Probably helps to be in an area with a long history of logging. The big community yard sale that I went to had at least 5 different people with axes or hatchets.

pipeman and memphis, those are some nice finds.
memphis; that GB is absolutly beautiful. nice work!!!
pipeman; that DANKRE is beautiful as well. i'll have to keep my eye out for one of those...
keep em' coming guys.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that Goodwill doesn't sell anything sharp, at least up here in Canada. Up here in the boonies the local Goodwill type shop (church run) used to throw out all the sharp knives that were donated, now they save them for me in the back room.;-) Think it's a liability thing.

Regards

Robin

That is awesome. I'm gonna visit the good folks at Goodwill! :)

Regards

Robin

Actally I have bought several knives at goodwill. One of which was a Phrobis CUK that I sold for $500.

Actally I have bought several knives at goodwill. One of which was a Phrobis CUK that I sold for $500.
yeah the goodwill in town has boxes full of knives. i live 1hr 1/2 out of town so i don't get by there much, but everytime i go in there, there is ALWAYS some old fellow going thru them. i've never found a decent knife or axe there. i think that some of those folks go in there several days a week. i'm always to late it seems:(

Lots of looking this weekend but just these purchased
DSC00100.JPG

That's a 1942 Collins.

Passed up a lot of axes at antique stores.... just too pricey. Came close to pulling the trigger on an old cruiser double-bit for $50 and an old swedish H-B for $35.

Those are some nice finds pullrich. What's on the blade of the Mora. It almost looks like a welding mark.

Just a reflection on the Mora (probably of my pointy head). I'll have some fun making a new handle for the machete, something I've never done before.

Back