Look What I Found...

Actually, I found it twice. I found this old NOS PST2 in a junk store about 6-7 years ago. I was still packing my SOG Powerlock at the time. I liked my SOG and had a sentimental attachment to the brand because of my late dad, but I figured this thing was pretty cool, pretty old and in the box. Couldn't turn it down. It even has the instruction manual inside the box. It's never been used.

Then, I "put it up" so I wouldn't lose it. And life happened for another 6-7 years, day job, playing some music on the side, raising a kid, putting her through college, etc.

Then I retired. And found this place. I remembered that old Leatherman and have been searching for it ever since.

Until yesterday....

WAUYpdn.jpg

Not sure about the box, but that sheath looks like it's in pretty good shape, huh? I would say that it's probably more valuable than the PST itself, or at least it would be to me. I think it's a lot harder to find one of those old PST sheaths that is still in good condition. You can't buy a sheath like that from Leatherman anymore. The one you have there looks good as new.

Fantastic! Somewhere, my first knife: 58mm Victorinox Companion (without keyring) exists... (I hope.)

Can't find it. Should be somewhere at the family home - or else, I may have given it to a former girlfriend - thinking it was the honorable thing to do since I'd moved up to a Huntsman...

I'm hoping it's at the family home - and that I find it...

Not sure about the box, but that sheath looks like it's in pretty good shape, huh? I would say that it's probably more valuable than the PST itself, or at least it would be to me. I think it's a lot harder to find one of those old PST sheaths that is still in good condition. You can't buy a sheath like that from Leatherman anymore. The one you have there looks good as new.

It is. It's New Old Stock and had never been used, sold or hardly taken out of the box.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm not going to break it up.

It is. It's New Old Stock and had never been used, sold or hardly taken out of the box.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'm not going to break it up.

Take extra extra special care of that sheath, then. If it were me I would store it in a sealed container with one of those moisture absorbing silica gel packs, or some other type of desiccant pack. Hell, put several of them in there. And then I would never touch the sheath again, at least not without washing my hands first. And I would consider wearing latex or nitrile gloves as well. Just to be super paranoid about it.

Last edited:
My brother still has his original PST1 from about 30 years ago. Sadly the case has deteriorated into dust long ago

Take extra extra special care of that sheath, then. If it were me I would store it in a sealed container with one of those moisture absorbing silica gel packs, or some other type of desiccant pack. Hell, put several of them in there. And then I would never touch the sheath again, at least not without washing my hands first. And I would consider wearing latex or nitrile gloves as well. Just to be super paranoid about it.
It ain't the Mona Lisa ! :rolleyes:

It's a dang tool ...I'd just use it ! :p

No, it's not a tool. 🙅‍♂️ It's a sheath. And you can't buy them anymore. And they're harder to find in good shape than the actual tool itself.
A sheath is a tool used to carry other tools ! :D

What earthly good is it, really , if not used for its purpose ? 🤨

Museum piece ? Sure , I guess it might have collector value ...if you're into that . Or sell for that market . 🤑

I believe that the souls of tools (including sheaths) are happiest being used / carried . 😇

A sheath is a tool used to carry other tools ! :D

What earthly good is it, really , if not used for its purpose ? 🤨

Museum piece ? Sure , I guess it might have collector value ...if you're into that . Or sell for that market . 🤑

I believe that the souls of tools (including sheaths) are happiest being used / carried . 😇

Lovingly reviving an old tool that's seen better days and putting it to good use is one thing. Foolishly ruining the value of a collectible item in pristine condition is another. One is a good thing, and the other is downright idiotic. And it's definitely a sheath and not a tool. Sheaths deteriorate and turn gross with age and use. Even leather sheaths have this problem, which is why there are so few of these particular ones left, and out of of those not many still look so new. They're nowhere near as durable, and it's the reason that having one in such good condition is kind of a big deal.

Lovingly reviving an old tool that's seen better days and putting it to good use is one thing. Foolishly ruining the value of a collectible item in pristine condition is another. One is a good thing, and the other is downright idiotic. And it's definitely a sheath and not a tool. Sheaths deteriorate and turn gross with age and use. Even leather sheaths have this problem, which is why there are so few of these particular ones left, and out of of those not many still look so new. They're nowhere near as durable, and it's the reason that having one in such good condition is kind of a big deal.

I have many multi-tools, but none that are 23 years old, in the original box, with instruction sheet and original sheath. It looks like it's only worth a hundred bucks or so at this point. I think I'll give the leather a touch of Red Wing Mink oil, and the tool a touch of lube, and hide it again for another decade or two,,,

Back