1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

looking 4 small

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by tikkidaddy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. tikkidaddy

tikkidaddy

Jan 1, 2012
    belt size khukuri by HI: 7 in blade maybe ak 12in or pen knife.,,whatcha think?

2. Shinook

Shinook

Apr 2, 2012
  3. tikkidaddy

tikkidaddy

Jan 1, 2012
    thanx shinook

4. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    A small BDC is the smallest kuk that feels "right" to me.

5. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002
    smallest KHUK...12 villager AK, or possibly, Pen knife.

smallest utilitarian knife is something different.

Enjoy the hunt.

:)

6. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I have a 13" AK that I love for a small khuk. It doesn't behave like its bigger brothers, but it offers more snap than a comparable straight knife. I find a lot of diminishing on a non-job specific knife over the 12" mark. That is to say, a khuk smaller than 12" overall feels weird. A straight knife designed as an all around camper feels cumbersome.

I usually pack the 13" AK when I'm doing yard work. A couple of months ago, I had to send a baby bunny to bunny heaven because I had accidentally run over his nest with my mower and mortally whacked him pretty good:( The AK made it a quick slide to the other side for him without making me feel like I was having to get all close and personal to the deed. Anything smaller would have made it a messy job on my soul.

If we're not talking about a chopper, I much prefer a smaller lighter belt knife like a SARGE/KPH or any of the R-Series. Unless the knife is super balanced, that is. I have a Fiddleback Woodsman that is very much in the do-it-all-jack-of-all-trades size, but the balance, sharpness, and blade shape make it one of my best performing camp knives. Pairs nicely with a larger khuk, a SAK/multitool, and a kit .22 pistol.

7. wildmanh

wildmanh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    I have a 12" Ang Khola, it makes a descent belt knife. Though I do carry a Kumar Karda a lot more.

8. bemo

bemo

Oct 19, 2006
    I have a 12 inch-ish Pen. Amazing chopper for it's size but not so good if you need something pointy.