1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Looking at Belt Grinders

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Lettered Churl, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Lettered Churl

Lettered Churl

Feb 20, 2012
    I am going to look at this belt grinder today or tomorrow. It looks like a Wilton or Kalamazoo square wheel. Any tips on what to look for? Thoughts on whether it might make a decent grinder for stock removal?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/3070300356.html

Thanks,
    Tim

2. John Katt

John Katt

Mar 19, 2012
  3. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    Do your self and your wallet a favor and buy good name brand belts! You will not save a penny with inferior belts. Buy from Pops knife supply and get the best product at the best price.

4. John Katt

John Katt

Mar 19, 2012
    The reason I put up the link to econaway is because the CL add states the belts are an odd size and hard to come by, I am guessing POP's sells off the shelf belts

5. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    $100 for an old Wilton

Buy it right now. go right now.Call and pay by Paypal to tie it up, or something like that.

If they knew what is was, it sure wouldn't be $100

New price is $2500
    http://www.vansantent.com/grinding_sanding/jet_squarewheel.htm

Whatever is wrong with it you can fix it later

Bearings are cheap, rattle can paint is cheap.

The pics just show a platen, ask about a contact wheel, but you can get a replacement later

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. combs6136

combs6136

Sep 21, 2002
    I have that model...Yes, those belts are hard to find locally, but it is the standard for knife makers......It looks like a wilton square wheel......If it runs you better grab it............carl.

7. Lettered Churl

Lettered Churl

Feb 20, 2012
    I'll be bringing a cloth tape measure to see if I can get a good estimate on the belt size while I'm there. As for belts being hard to find, the poster may have only been looking in local hardware and big box stores, at least that is my hope.

8. setlab

setlab

Apr 11, 2012
    Holy shit that is the deal of the year! I would have kept that one quite untill I had bought it though, hence someone else gets the deal before you.

I suspect that happened to me a long time ago with a south bend lathe I asked about on a forum.

9. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    I hope you went and bought this grinder since you last posted. It's a Square Wheel, good grinder and $100 is giving it away. Get it whether it runs or not.

10. Jason Fry

Jason Fry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 5, 2008
    Holy crap. Wonder if I can beat the OP to Oklahoma City?

Crud, he already lives there.

11. Brian Ayres

Brian Ayres

Feb 4, 2011
    I bought one just like it a few months back and was SUPER HAPPY to pay $200.....That one looks ready to go!